Virginia Hospital Center Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Virginia Hospital Center Interview Questions

Updated Sep 19, 2017

Performance Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Virginia Hospital Center in September 2017.

Interview

Very poorly managed recruiting office. Originally received an offer for 75, even though I said my minimum was 85. I got them to come up to 80. Then after they said they wouldn't go up any more, I accepted the offer at 80. Then I got a call 20 Minutes later saying the recruiting office had made a mistake and the offer wasn't for 80, but 77. I told them they needed to make good on their 80 offer. So the next morning they rescinded my offer. Very unprofessional and poorly managed.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Virginia Hospital Center?   1 Answer

Registered Nurse Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Virginia Hospital Center in February 2017.

Interview

It started out with their open event for new grads. You meet four hiring managers from the unit of choice and hope they call back. It's kind of like speed dating. 7 minutes to speak with 4 managers. Because I really wanted to interview with one unit that kept being preoccupied with other people wanted to be interviewed by the same manager as well, I squeezed in a brief introduction (which made it my fifth interview) and some information about myself. She wanted to know more, and called me back through Human Resources to set up a formal interview with her on her unit.

I was interviewed briefly by a recruiter who presented a packet of the benefits and other employee information. Took a walk to the unit hat I was going to have a formal interview by the hiring manager. A peer interview from several of the staff on the floor and then a brief orientation of the unit.

Do expect rotating days and nights as a new grad. Starting pay is 26.10

Great health benefits from what I read and heard from the facility.

I got the job right on the spot and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?
      Why this unit?
      What do you know about this facility?
      Tell me about a time you made a difference in someone's life?
      Why this facility compared to others in this area?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virginia Hospital Center (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Applied online and spoke with HR the next day. Met with the Patient care Director and did a peer interview on the same day. Was offered the position the next day and accepted

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Virginia Hospital Center (Arlington, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

New Grad here: I was contacted by the talent agency and did a 20 minute interview on the phone. They asked me several questions: why they should hire me, what could i bring to the team, why the unit I chose, why did I like that field of nursing... Once that was finished, I was informed that they would like to have a 3 part in person interview. I had a 40 minute interview/crash course about important logistical aspects of the hospital (benefits, wages, health care). I had to provide 2 references, CPR card, License, my transcript, and when I received my nurses license. Then after that I had an interview with the nurse manager on the unit. She asked me several questions. Because she liked me I continued with on with a peer interview and spoke to 2 nurses on the unit which lasted 15 minutes. They told me about the unit and also asked me several questions. I was told that I would hear back from them in a week. I got a call the next day with a job offer. Being a new grad I was very excited to start my nursing career on the unit I wanted. New grads, please expect your starting pay to be $26 hourly, this is standard (but there is a night time differential). The interview process was long, but as long as you practice questions you should be fine. Show up prepared, dress professionally, and make sure you know how to sell yourself.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview:
      1) What can you bring to the hospital?
      2) What are 3 qualities about yourself?
      3) Describe a difficult situation in nursing and how you resolved it?
      Nurse manager interview:
      4) What can you contribute to the nursing team?
      5) Why did you choose this field of nursing?
      6) Do you like day or night shift and why?
      7)What can you contribute to the team?
      -Why should we hire you?
      Peer Interview:
      8) Why ___ Unit?
      9) What can you bring to the team?
      10) Why did you choose nursing?
      11) Do you have any questions you would like to ask?
      My Questions to them:
      1) what is the patient population?
      2) what is the orientation process like?
      3) what benefits do you offer your employees?
      4) what qualities do you look for in potential employees?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Virginia Hospital Center (Arlington, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by a recruiter three days later. Had a mini phone interview with the recruiter which led to scheduling an interview with the nurse manager. Before the interview with the manager, I met with recruitment. They collected all the documents they asked for (references, CPR card, etc,) and then explained things about the hospital. They also give you information about benefits, which I though was kind of strange because I haven't even had my interview yet. We then walked over to the unit and I met with the manager. The interview with the manager felt more like a conversation which is always a plus! I came in a few days later to interview with the staff. They asked ten questions which were pretty simple (read from a piece of paper). The timeline from applying to the final interview took about two weeks.

Interview Questions

• Can you give me three of your strengths and three of your weakness?   Answer Question

Patient Care Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virginia Hospital Center (Arlington, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and soon received a phone call from HR for a phone interview. Then they called again and scheduled an in person interview in the recruitment office. After that I went for and interview with the Patient Care Director of the unit followed by a peer interview from RNs and PCAs on the unit. Then i got the phone call offering me the job followed by an email with everything in writing.

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Virginia Hospital Center (Arlington, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

First contacted by recruiter and a week later another recruiter. Then interviewed with one manager but decided I didn't want to work in the area so was offer another interview on a different unit. This took a week to set up. I interviewed with manager and then peer interview. The questions were basic. The staff that were brought in to ask questions just read them from a sheet and they seemed stressed that they needed to go back to work but had to go to interview. The manager was friendly and positive. I regret not getting a tour of the unit and shadowing would of been nice to see before starting because now I know why the nurses were stressed. They are under staffed and the workload is unbearable!!

Interview Questions

• What is the most important for you at work?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Virginia Hospital Center (Arlington, VA).

Interview

It was a long process. They had a New Grad Day (different day) where you could do a fast interview with their managers. I interviewed for two units, and got my second choice. They set up an interview with recruiter and then the nurse manager (same day), and then finally a peer interview (different day). The process was so long! lol You get a background check and drug test before being offered a position. I was offered a position, but declined. Nice hospital, but not in my top choice unit.

Interview Questions

• Why that unit? How did you handle a difficult situation?   Answer Question

Sitter/Constant Observer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Virginia Hospital Center (Arlington, VA) in June 2016.

Interview

Originally applied for the PCA position but did not have the experience. HOWEVER recruitment told me about the opportunity to work as a sitter and I agreed to an interview a week later. Interviewed the recruiter, unit director, and unit staff all on the same day. Received notice the next day of drug test, background check and references I needed to complete. Once completed I received a call from recruitment offering the position.

Interview Questions

• How would this position help you achieve your long term goals?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Once you are offered the position, you're first week will be a paid hospital orientation that is very informative and helpful to be successful at VHC

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Virginia Hospital Center (Arlington, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

Deceptive interview process. They initiate reference checks and background check even before you become a finalist for the position. It happens the same day you interview. Then right after abruptly sends you a rejection email. Who does that? Very messy interview process. Then the interviewer suddenly becomes unavailable for questions by having calls screened. Very passive aggressive system of getting your hopes up only to treat you as if your time and effort to interview meant nothing! Very unprofessional practice. My references were dumbfounded when Checkster cut them off. These are intelligent folks and didn't appreciate having their time wasted.