Visa Inc. Senior Business Leader Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Visa Inc. Senior Business Leader Interview Questions

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Visa Inc. (Foster City, CA).

Interview

Contacted by Visa and invited for a 1st round of onsite interviews at Visa's Foster City HQ Thought I did well in the interviews but after a 4 week gap of complete silence assumed they weren't interested (ok, fair enough, perhaps I didn't do as well as I'd thought).

Out of the blue receive a surprise invitation to come back for a 2nd round to interview with a SVP and 2 others -- also thought I'd done well. However, apparently not. Another 4 weeks pass by.

Finally hear back and am asked to come in for a 3rd round of interviews, this time including an EVP.

After those interviews, zip. No follow-up, no updates, no response to emails or phone messages. Crickets.

Interview Questions

• How can we improve our recruiting process?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Visa Inc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Visa Inc. (Foster City, CA).

Interview

Contacted by a 3rd party recruiter, phone interview with hiring manager and HR at Visa, followed by onsite interviews with Hiring Manager, HR, and Strategy Office. Offer process took several weeks, all verbal via recruiter.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing unexpected or difficult, mostly discussed my specific background and the proposed role, the current state at Visa (this was a new position), and how I might fit. They spent more time selling me the job than I had to sell actually myself. I was very surprised that the negotiation process went as it did; they stated repeatedly that they base compensation on the local market as opposed to the actual value the candidate may bring, and in the case of relocation candidates they do not do any cost of living adjustments.   Answer Question

Salary not enough to warrant relocation to bay area

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Visa Inc. (Foster City, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

1 call screen with HR, 1 call screen with hiring manager, 1 day of interviews with all team members. Offer came within a week of meetings. Having a competing offer at the same time accelerated the process. Very well organized and friendly work culture with all people involved. Top of the line.

Interview Questions

• provide a sample of how you would provide a global strategy for the product involved?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very short. Negotiated small increase of 2% on salary. Advise being bold about salary expectations at the outset.

Anonymous Employee in Highlands Ranch, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Visa Inc. (Highlands Ranch, CO) in June 2011.

Interview

This was a very quick process. This is a senior (VP) role and interviews were done with key business leadership. The direct team interviews were compulsory but even they were smooth. The key topics were around the business of the company and company fit. There is an expectation that a technical employee know many different levels and types of systems and solutions. There is a well tenured employee base that has very specific roles and deep knowledge levels (they created the systems). They are looking for people who did not challenge their points of view nor come across as change agents.

Interview Questions

• What are your feelings on best of breed in vendor selections?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Terrible. My recruiter was on the way out and did little to help my cause. I did ok in the end but it took forever and the personalization was not as expected.

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Visa Inc. (Foster City, CA) in July 2010.

Interview

Interviews are short - 30 minutes, and there is very little time to engage with the interviewer. My sense is that decisions are made pretty quickly. So, if you have 5 things to say about yourself, make sure you bring them up during the interview one way or another, b/c time will run out.

There is a lot of attention paid to prior experience in the payment space, event though in reality, few people at Visa have worked in that space prior to Visa, anyway.

Most of the job postings are actually created to convert contractors, so even if a role sounds/looks perfect for you, you never know if you're going against an internal candidate who's basically already been vetted.

Office is sterile, as are most of the personalities there. The ones secure in their roles will be more real and open, but in general, you're looking at packaged questions along the lines of "tell me a time..." that corresponds directly to the job posting.

Be VERY careful who the hiring manager is and as much as you can, try to find out anything about him/her, because your fortunes at Visa can turn on a dime, and it does not matter how qualified or good you are, you could be scrutinized for petty things.

Try to avoid groups where new leadership (or leadership without Visa experience) has been placed. Those groups are stress chambers, each manager trying to position him/herself in a way to look to good. The product group is one of those, for instance.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Had room to negotiate. I was asked to apply for a Sr. Business Leader role, then was offered a Business Leader role. After I turned it down, they offered me the Sr. Business Leader role, and I accepted. If you really think that you are Sr. Business Leader level, don't take the Business Leader role. It's nearly impossible to get promoted, no matter what you are told in the negotiation phase. My impression is that it takes several years and participation on some very important and visible projects to make that leap, and even that is not a guarantee, because there is basically one major reorg each year.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Visa Inc. (Foster City, CA) in February 2009.

Interview

HR screening; 1:1

Senior Business Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Visa Inc. in September 2011.

Interview

I submitted my resume online & was contacted by the HR manger for a phone interview within 3 weeks of my online submisson. HR setup a conference call with HR manager and the Hiring manager which was quite extensive.. They scheduled a face to interview with 6 executives and the hiring manager. It was scheduled & then at the last minute a HR manager tells me the interview was cancelled because job title changed..
    Not sure what that was about.. The job may have been filled or other candidates were found but still I would have expected a better answer such as "we are looking at other candidates"... explanation of job title changed seemed odd.
    I was told the HR manager would get in touch with me. but still no response..

Interview Questions

• How do you manage employees?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at VIsa? What experience do you have on working on these projects?   Answer Question

Senior Business Leader Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Visa Inc. in February 2010.

Interview

I went through 8 interviews with various individuals in three cities. The advice I received from the recruiter was to be "perky". My advice to others considering Visa Inc. as a future employer...keep on looking. Be prepared to smile, nod your head and let them sell you on Visa. It's their drug.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite color   1 Answer

Negotiation

They could not adjust benefits such as vacation time but they can be flexible on pay and signing bonus.

Senior Business Leader Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Visa Inc. in February 2010.

Interview

The interview process is a total circus and reflects Visa's culture of group think (8 interviews, 11 people). One interview was with two of Visa's senior leadership team which consisted of meeting them at a bar while they whooped it up on champagne and telling me how wonderful Visa was. I needed a hot shower to forget the experience. Most of the process was a series of grip and grin sessions with no real substantive discussions at all. I could not believe they were spending the money to fly me around to multiple cities without a single, meaningful discussion of the opportunity and how my talents were a fit.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Yes. Don't settle for the first offer. These folks are desperate for talent and have the funds to pay.

Senior Business Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Visa Inc. in January 2010.

Interview

Completely chaotic, random and very long (6 months is not unsual). Was interviewed for and was offered a job verbally, and received a contract for a totally different geography!

Interview Questions

• None. Interviewers had no subject matter expertise whatsoever.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.