Vivint Smart Home Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 21, 2018

2.1

Communications Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vivint Smart Home (Provo, UT) in February 2017.

Interview

Had a recruiter do a phone interview, then set up an in person interview. The in person interview was really low key—we had it in the cafe in their main building. Some of the questions were fun instead of being stale the whole time. My only qualm is that they told me they would let me know by March 1st and didn't bother to get back to me until March 23rd. And, the email they sent telling me I did not receive the job was a mass email type. Very impersonal, which is strange considering the position I applied for was fairly high up in the company.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years? (as far as your career goes)   Answer Question

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Vivint Smart Home in April 2014.

Interview

Was recommended by a current employee, the process was a call from the manager, and if you felt like it was something for you, then a few more phone calls and your on board.

Junior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Vivint Smart Home (Provo, UT) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied online and through an employee referral on a Tuesday. I was contacted Friday and had a phone interview Monday. The HR representative was very friendly and laid back and we briefly discussed my background. I was overqualified for the job and the pay grade was below that I was seeking, so we parted ways. Would be a really great position for the right entry-level fit, just not for me.

I mostly appreciated the transparency so as not to waste my time or theirs.

Interview Questions

• We're concerned your experience may lead you to seek a higher pay grade than what we're willing to offer for this position. Is $xxk an acceptable range for you?   1 Answer

Lead Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Vivint Smart Home (Provo, UT) in August 2014.

Interview

Over the phone, interviewer conducted during rush hour traffic jam. No face-to-face and minimal contact. Was not aware of my qualifications nor was knowledgeable of advanced technical qualifications I presented. Was promised a video interview but no such event occurred. HR conducted most of the interview which was done over email.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable working on 30ft+ ladders or heights of 30ft or more?   1 Answer
    • Are you comfortable working with electricity?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vivint Smart Home (Lehi, UT) in August 2013.

Interview

I was referred by a neighbor. Had two interviews. First interview was with two technical leads, but the interview was not overly technical. Second interview was with their boss, who is not technical, and mostly was about compensation. Neither interview was as technical as I expected. Since my interview, they have changed the hiring process a bit and I think it is even less technical and/or by non-technical people.

Interview Questions

• Was given three business objects and told to design classes for them. No requirements or context were given. Something like 'car' and 'drive'.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate a higher salary because of unusually high medical deductible.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vivint Smart Home.

Interview

I had an interview with one engineer for 20ish minutes and then was moved into another room to meet with two other engineers in a different department for the rest of the interview. It was a pretty standard behavioral interview: discussing my experiences, etc. I was not contacted afterwards.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when you don't know how to code something?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lehi, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Vivint Smart Home (Lehi, UT).

Interview

Had a phone screen interview with a technical lead, aced it. Given this game, write code to implement it. The interviewer asked me after the interview when I could come onsite to interview. I was going to be in the area in a couple of weeks, so I told him I could interview then. Recruiter contacted me a couple days later and we setup the interview.

Recruiter called me shortly before the interview and told me multiple teams were interested in interviewing me and asked me if I could schedule a 4 hour block for the interview, I agreed.

Interview started off with a tour of the facility and description of the products. All very nice.

I dressed in button down shirt and tie for the interview. I felt way overdressed the whole time. Most interviewers were dressed casual, several interviewers were wearing shorts.

I started off with a panel of interviewers (7 or 8), several junior, several senior architect level. They asked me mostly technical questions. This lasted about an hour. I very much enjoyed this interview. Panel was relaxed and I knew all the answers. Then a whole new panel came into the room (I was not expecting any panel interviews, so to have two was a little much, 5 or six interviewers this time) One of the panel was senior management, rest were junior and mid level software engineers. More conceptual and knowledge questions this time. Didn't have an answer for one question, but answered all the other questions correctly without any issues.

I then had lunch with the original tech lead from the phone interview. Free lunch was excellent. Definitely couldn't complain about that if I had gotten an offer. Chatted about interests, motivations, etc) lunch was cut a bit short for the final interview.

Was highly surprised to have another panel interview (7 or 8 engineers from the second team). This interview went pretty well, until the final question. Code tree traversal on the white board (after lunch and three hours of interview!!!) Struggled through this one a bit, but really didn't do too bad, solved it in under a half hour. Only annoying thing was while I was coding on the white board the panel was acting as my compiler saying "you're code doesn't compile", and then they would wait for me to tell them where I missed a parenthesis or curly brace...) I tried to make a joke about the panel being such an anal compiler, but I don't think they got it. After finishing the tree problem we had a frank discussion about compensation, career growth in the company, etc. Reading the room I would say that I expected the majority of the team would suggest I be hired.

About 2 weeks after the interview I emailed several of the interviewers and recruiter thanking them for the interview, etc. The next day I got a call from the recruiter. I was pretty sure they were going to give me an offer, although I wasn't sure for which team. The recruiter said they had decided to hire another candidate better suited to the position, but that the feedback from the team was very positive and they thought I was a competent and knowledgeable software engineer and that I should apply again to future positions.

Not sure what happened, my best guess is that there may have been some internal conflict between the two teams and to resolve it they just decided not to hire me. Additionally the positions they were hiring for were in areas I don't have a lot of experience in but would like to grow. I don't think that was the issue though because the original ads for the position specifically stated that extensive experience in those specific areas was optional.

Overall the teams were competent and relaxed, could definitely see myself joining either team and enjoying working with them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lehi, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Vivint Smart Home (Lehi, UT) in October 2017.

Interview

I have never been so impressed with a company's recruiting process. Everybody I spoke with was so friendly, professional, and helpful. The recruiter always responded to my emails within a few hours and was so transparent about the entire process. I never felt like I was left in the dark. I went on site three times and met with several engineers from the team I was applying for as well as many other employees from different departments. I had one interview that was purely technical, but the rest of the time was spent making sure that my goals and expectations were aligned with theirs. I was so excited to receive an offer, but I ended up accepting another offer that was too good to pass up. I can definitely see myself joining Vivint later in my career. I was extremely impressed by the company and felt very comfortable with the engineers. I would highly recommend the company to anybody who is thinking about applying.

Social Media Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lindon, UT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Vivint Smart Home (Lindon, UT) in November 2013.

Interview

I had already been with Vivint for over a year and was on a specialty Customer Care team taking inbound calls. I had also spent about four months as a Team Lead and was looking for a position that would be fun, well paying, and work with my school schedule most importantly. My Team Lead at the time asked me if I would be intersested in working on the Social Media team which I said I would and so within the week I had an interview. It went well and the preofessional who did the interview with me, now my new Team Lead, hired me the next day.

Interview Questions

• What interests you about Social Media Management?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was none. I was given an hourly-rate and told I could work when I wanted.

Software Architect Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vivint Smart Home.

Interview

Applied online, contacted by recruiter 1 week later to schedule a 20 minute phone call on her calendar. Pleasant conversation; she understood the reality of market salaries for the position. She scheduled a call with the hiring manager for the next day. He reviewed my background and asked how I would approach several of the real challenges they were facing. Both were up front about desiring an on-site resource versus my demonstrated ability to work remotely. Received a canned message from their HR system the next day they were moving ahead with other candidates, which felt impersonal after the two conversations.