Find jobs for Software Engineer

Vivint Smart Home Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2019

To filter interviews, or .

Interviews at Vivint Smart Home

2.7
HardAverageEasy
Found 7 candidate interviews
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vivint Smart Home (Boston, MA) in Jul 2019

Interview

phone interview, video online coding, onsite interview. everyone in team is nice. last interview is video. beautiful office. got phone call after one week or more told me did not get an offer.

Interview Questions
  • pair programming/ algorithm/ some normal behavior questions
    Answer Question
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vivint Smart Home (United States)

Interview

Had a take home technical assignment which involved solving data structure/algorithm questions. Had a phone screen with the hiring manager where they asked to come in for on-site. Then one day before the on-site, it was cancelled without any reason. Then I get a phone call from the recruiter three hours later that there was some mix-up and he'll get back to me in a day or two. Never heard from the company again. Very Unprofessional and no clarity on the process.

Interview Questions
Share on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare via Email
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States
Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Vivint Smart Home (United States) in Jun 2018

Interview

I got the interview through a referral. I had a couple of phone interviews to give an overview of the my profile to find a good fit in the company. A week later I had a Skype call, for they asked a couple of behavioral questions to understand how my work ethic and practices. After that they gave me a take home coding test. It was to build REST API in Python using Web.Py. This was the last time that they contacted me. After submitting my code I did not get a response on whether they were moving forward with my application or not. I tried reaching out to the HR person that initially talked to, and the recruiter that I was in contact with, but to no avail.

Interview Questions
Share on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare via Email
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lehi, UT
Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Vivint Smart Home (Lehi, UT) in Oct 2017

Interview

I have never been so impressed with a company's recruiting process. Everybody I spoke with was so friendly, professional, and helpful. The recruiter always responded to my emails within a few hours and was so transparent about the entire process. I never felt like I was left in the dark. I went on site three times and met with several engineers from the team I was applying for as well as many other employees from different departments. I had one interview that was purely technical, but the rest of the time was spent making sure that my goals and expectations were aligned with theirs. I was so excited to receive an offer, but I ended up accepting another offer that was too good to pass up. I can definitely see myself joining Vivint later in my career. I was extremely impressed by the company and felt very comfortable with the engineers. I would highly recommend the company to anybody who is thinking about applying.

Interview Questions
Share on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare via Email
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lehi, UT
Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Vivint Smart Home (Lehi, UT)

Interview

Had a phone screen interview with a technical lead, aced it. Given this game, write code to implement it. The interviewer asked me after the interview when I could come onsite to interview. I was going to be in the area in a couple of weeks, so I told him I could interview then. Recruiter contacted me a couple days later and we setup the interview. Recruiter called me shortly before the interview and told me multiple teams were interested in interviewing me and asked me if I could schedule a 4 hour block for the interview, I agreed. Interview started off with a tour of the facility and description of the products. All very nice. I dressed in button down shirt and tie for the interview. I felt way overdressed the whole time. Most interviewers were dressed casual, several interviewers were wearing shorts. I started off with a panel of interviewers (7 or 8), several junior, several senior architect level. They asked me mostly technical questions. This lasted about an hour. I very much enjoyed this interview. Panel was relaxed and I knew all the answers. Then a whole new panel came into the room (I was not expecting any panel interviews, so to have two was a little much, 5 or six interviewers this time) One of the panel was senior management, rest were junior and mid level software engineers. More conceptual and knowledge questions this time. Didn't have an answer for one question, but answered all the other questions correctly without any issues. I then had lunch with the original tech lead from the phone interview. Free lunch was excellent. Definitely couldn't complain about that if I had gotten an offer. Chatted about interests, motivations, etc) lunch was cut a bit short for the final interview. Was highly surprised to have another panel interview (7 or 8 engineers from the second team). This interview went pretty well, until the final question. Code tree traversal on the white board (after lunch and three hours of interview!!!) Struggled through this one a bit, but really didn't do too bad, solved it in under a half hour. Only annoying thing was while I was coding on the white board the panel was acting as my compiler saying "you're code doesn't compile", and then they would wait for me to tell them where I missed a parenthesis or curly brace...) I tried to make a joke about the panel being such an anal compiler, but I don't think they got it. After finishing the tree problem we had a frank discussion about compensation, career growth in the company, etc. Reading the room I would say that I expected the majority of the team would suggest I be hired. About 2 weeks after the interview I emailed several of the interviewers and recruiter thanking them for the interview, etc. The next day I got a call from the recruiter. I was pretty sure they were going to give me an offer, although I wasn't sure for which team. The recruiter said they had decided to hire another candidate better suited to the position, but that the feedback from the team was very positive and they thought I was a competent and knowledgeable software engineer and that I should apply again to future positions. Not sure what happened, my best guess is that there may have been some internal conflict between the two teams and to resolve it they just decided not to hire me. Additionally the positions they were hiring for were in areas I don't have a lot of experience in but would like to grow. I don't think that was the issue though because the original ads for the position specifically stated that extensive experience in those specific areas was optional. Overall the teams were competent and relaxed, could definitely see myself joining either team and enjoying working with them.

Interview Questions
Share on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare via Email
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States
Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vivint Smart Home (United States)

Interview

I had an interview with one engineer for 20ish minutes and then was moved into another room to meet with two other engineers in a different department for the rest of the interview. It was a pretty standard behavioral interview: discussing my experiences, etc. I was not contacted afterwards.

Interview Questions
  • What do you do when you don't know how to code something?
Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vivint Smart Home (Lehi, UT) in Aug 2013

Interview

I was referred by a neighbor. Had two interviews. First interview was with two technical leads, but the interview was not overly technical. Second interview was with their boss, who is not technical, and mostly was about compensation. Neither interview was as technical as I expected. Since my interview, they have changed the hiring process a bit and I think it is even less technical and/or by non-technical people.

Interview Questions
  • Was given three business objects and told to design classes for them. No requirements or context were given. Something like 'car' and 'drive'.