Voice of America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Voice of America Interview Questions

Updated Aug 7, 2017

2.7

Digital Writer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Voice of America.

Interview

I had to register on SAM as a federal contractor. It's a long, drawn-out process with a lot of bureaucracy. Be sure to allow a couple of months to get through it.

Interview Questions

• I was hired based on my written application, but I also had a friend who worked at VOA who got me in the door.   Answer Question

Broadcaster/Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Voice of America (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview was through an employee referral. I got a call after the referral and spoke to 3 different people before an in person interview was scheduled.
    The actual interview took a full day, with a translation portion, on air interview, broadcast reading, 1:1 and then a panel. It was hard but probably the most interview experience that I've had because I actually felt challenged. I left on an adrenaline high

Interview Questions

• Standees questions like what can you bring to the team? Are you willing to put in the work?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Voice of America.

Interview

Interview was done by a panel of three people from various positions with expertise in the area. The interview lasted for a little over an hour. Each person took turn asking different questions following a script. The same questions were given to all of the other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Q: If you were hired for this position, what would be the first thing you do?   Answer Question

Reporter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Voice of America (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

Received a phone call from the supervisor and was asked a few questions for 10 mins. The questions were very straightforward asking about my previous experience. Got the offer on the phone.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Voice of America in December 2015.

Interview

The interview process for the internship was easy. The person asked common interview questions. The interview wasn't long lasted around 30 minutes.I had a phone interview and it went well. The interviewer was very nice.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position?
      Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Voice of America.

Interview

After sending in my resume and cover letter, it was several weeks when I got an invite for phone interview. We set up a time that would work for me, and they called. There were about 3 other people on the other side of the phone, so I was on loud speaker. Everyone was friendly and interview was actually pretty short, I'd say no more than ten minutes. No hard questions were asked, just the typical tell us about yourself, how did you learn about VOA, what do you want to accomplish here...you know it's unpaid right? They told me they were interviewing a few other people those two days. The next day they called me to tell me I got it :)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Since there is no pay, there isn't too much that happens. You get emailed by HR and fill out all these forms, and then you should start looking for short term housing in D.C.

International Broadcaster Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Voice of America (Washington, DC) in December 2014.

Interview

Was easy, I was taken to the waiting area. Getting through the gates was a hustle because of security. Was subjected to a full-body scan and search. I arrived 15 minutes early and it took me 20 minutes to be processed for the search. If you're going there, make sure you arrive atleast 30 minutes early because getting through the security is crazy on a good day.

Interview lasted 2 hours. I was grilled on previous history, domicile, international assignments (I was applying for that job after a stint with RT and CNN).

Interview Questions

• Previous jobs
      Abilities to function on a deadline
      Media Ethics
      Interest for working for the federal government.
      Ability to juggle multiple projects   1 Answer
    • What have you picked up from your foreign service experience?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. I was given an offer for 4k+ of what I expected.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Voice of America (Washington, DC) in January 2014.

Interview

A friend recommended me to her former supervisor, interviewed by a HR for basic questions.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Voice of America.

Interview

one phone interview, and a promotion test.

Interview Questions

• the promotion test was something I have never done before. they gave me three days to promote a video and asked for as much viewing amount as possible, and finally, they asked me to write a report on what i have done to promote the video.   Answer Question