Voltage Entertainment USA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1.7

Sort:

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Voltage Entertainment USA (San Francisco, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Through a recruiter, multiple interviews with the producer, senior producer, COO, and HR. Done over Skype. All communications through the recruiter. Plus for interest in Anime, Manga, popular movies, tv shows, and other romance focused media. Also plus for experience working in Japan/at a Japanese company. Mainly they wanted to make sure I would fit in the culture of the office.

Interview Questions

• Asked to translate work PowerPoint, difficult due to time restraint, lack of context   Answer Question

Negotiation

Through recruiter, they accepted my salary request

Localization Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Voltage Entertainment USA.

Interview

My recruiters contacted me for this position. Somehow three recruiters from different companies reached out to me for the same position. So I thought it was a great fit for me. The first interview was onsite. There were two interviewers

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Voltage Entertainment USA in January 2014.

Interview

I was contacted via a recruiter that specializes in placing people at Japanese-owned companies. The actual interview process was fast and straightforward, given that my role was the first senior engineering role they were hiring for and they didn't have anyone qualified to do a proper engineering interview.

I interviewed on two days, a week apart. The first interview was only a couple of hours long. I was interviewed entirely by the production team. Unlike most engineering interviews, there were no whiteboard problems, no printed code to examine, no coding problems on a laptop, et cetera. A producer who had previously been a mobile engineer simply chatted with me about my engineering philosophy and background. Easiest engineering interview I've ever had. They have an engineering team now, so don't expect this to be the case today; they will definitely ask whiteboard questions now, we changed the hiring process after I hired on and staffed up the team.

The second interview was even shorter. I came in to speak exclusively with the COO, via a translator. I don't remember much about what was asked, except that it was mostly completely irrelevant to the role. I think we discussed Gray's Anatomy (the show). The COO asked me how long I thought it would take to build one of their games from scratch and I estimated 6 months; a figure the company would later completely ignore. It ended up taking longer than 6 months because we also had to create an asset pipeline and tools from scratch as well. FYI, this is still typical. The COO can and will veto hiring decisions by the interviewing team even if the decision is unanimous; it happened to me twice after I joined when hiring other people.

I ended up getting an offer, but negotiations took a week or so because they made me an offer as a non-exempt (hourly) employee and low-balled me hard - lowest salary I had made in 6 or 7 years, despite it being my first lead role... basically a low mid-level salary. After my first quarterly review I negotiated an exempt salary at fair market rates, but only after they offered me exempt pay with no salary increase! I refused, and was valued enough, fortunately, that they countered with something reasonable the second time. However, note that this job will not come with other compensation that similar roles at other companies have, like stock options or a bonus. Salary, PTO, healthcare and a modest stipend for public transport is pretty much the whole package.

I ended up taking the job because it meant the end of a particularly long and grueling job search that began the previous year when my studio was closed. The game industry was brutally competitive because of all of the lay-offs and the mass migration from the console and PC markets to mobile. I was going up against people with twice the experience (I have about 11 years); I'm also self-taught, whereas the competition had CS degrees and were industry veterans. Nowadays you can throw a rock and hit an engineering job, as the lay-offs have been absorbed and everyone is understaffed.

Despite taking the job, I was drained and angered by the negotiation process. In fact it wasn't really a negotiation, because the only concession they made was to change my title from Senior SE to Lead SE (the latter, was, in fact, a more valid description of the role).

I was able to put this behind me, roll up my sleeves, and jump in to the role, however.

I ended up regretting it. The company's dysfunction was amusing for about the first 2 months, but eventually it got to me and I was miserable for the next 8 months. After about 4 months I started looking again. I stayed on thinking naively I could turn things around. Finally after about 10 months I couldn't take it anymore and I walked out, opting to go indie.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Extremely Harsh. They will low-ball you and not make any concessions, so it can't really be called a negotiation. Basically they don't negotiate. They generally offer non-exempt (hourly) salaries. For software engineers at mid-level and above there is now an exception to this rule. Junior engineers are in the same boat as everyone else. Also note they generally do not pay relocation. For senior engineers they might pay a modest relocation (pre-tax, unfortunately, which means you first check will be very small as they will take the taxes out of that). They have a policy against hiring H1Bs; but TN visas are fine.

Game Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Voltage Entertainment USA (San Francisco, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

I was interviewed twice by a total of 4 people who could not speak English, with no HR present. Most of the time, the people who weren't directly speaking to me would stare off into space or up at the ceiling. They asked about my favorite movies and TV shows, but they didn't recognize any of the things I named. When I asked "Do you think of this as a self-starter position, or highly managed?" they gave me a hierarchical diagram that showed the designers at the bottom and said, "You're down here." When I asked "What should I expect a typical work day to look like?" again they pointed and repeated, "You're down here." Unfortunately, the interview was not the last time I had that diagram presented to me.

I thought it was very unusual that they wouldn't take my list of references when I offered.

Despite these warning signs, I accepted the position... and left after 7 months.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They offered, and would not budge, on the lowest salary I would possibly work for. Through the 3/4-day negotiation process, the company and my recruiter misleadingly referred to an annual salary, but when the offer letter came, it was converted to an hourly rate. For the duration of my full-time employment, I was a non-exempt employee.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Voltage Entertainment USA (San Francisco, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

Favorite movie.
    Favorite TV show.
    Do you like Grey's Anatomy?
    Your age.
    Are you married?
    Why would you like to join the company?
    Which school did you attend?
    Are you bilingual?
    Who is your favorite actor?
    Do you have script-writing experience?
    What do you think of our games and what improvement do we need in order to make these game better?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Voltage Entertainment USA (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Interviewers hardly spoke English. They seemed to not understand my answers even when I tried to explain it over and over again in simple English. They do not have any technical background or knowledge at all. My most concern was when I asked where the company is going in the future and they did not have an answer for that.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult but be prepared to be asked, "What is your favorite romance movie/TV show/novel?"   Answer Question

Do not see the company flourishing in the future. Hardly to be called a game company since it is more of digital romance novel.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Voltage Entertainment USA (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

What is your favorite movie?

Interview Questions

when asking "what would my day here be like?", I received "you will only be testing and doing text string". I asked "what is text string?", I received "excel".

my experiences were never asked. I felt like you dont need experience to work here, therefore my impression of this place was negative.

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Voltage Entertainment USA (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Same as the other process mentioned here -they asked me what my favorite movies were, what kind of books I read. Nothing in the interview had any relevance to what the position was about, and in spite of the recruiter telling me that the interview would be in English, it should not have been. Out of the four people I interviewed with, 3 of them were barely conversational in English, and one didn't speak any English at all. I answered questions and they all discussed it amongst themselves while I sat there.

Interview Questions

• I think "Did you write on this?" meant "Did you create the original art in this" in regard to work in my portfolio, but I didn't get any feedback directly so it was hard to gauge whether or not I was answering their questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They work solely through recruiters, and my recruiter negotiated against me to try to get me to agree to the lowest salary I'd agree to work for. If I had to do it again, I would not have accepted the offer. I left the company after 6 months.

Associate Localization Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Voltage Entertainment USA (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview consisted of few rounds of speaking with the Localization Producers, Senior Producers, then finally the COO. They will ask you to speak in Japanese as well as go through your preferences in regards to what sort of content you consume in a daily basis.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Voltage Entertainment USA.

Interview

Several rounds of interviews with producers, HR, general manager, and COO. In general they will ask you about your interest in the company, experience you have listed on your resume, and games/shows you enjoy. If you have experience in Japan they will also ask you about it. For localization producer positions be prepared to answer interview questions fully in Japanese.

Interview Questions

• Did you struggle with any kind of cross-cultural issues while working in Japan? How did you overcome them?   Answer Question