Volunteers of America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Volunteers of America Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2017

2.5

Family Developer Interview

Interview

Two interviews each with a different team for total of six different people. Open discussion and Welcoming staff. I asked questions regarding staffing, fay in the life. Process was relaxed and transparent.

Interview Questions

• Philosophy and why did I choose them   1 Answer

Social Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Volunteers of America (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2017.

Interview

It was 6th time applying on line, and each time I got email response bu t with no interview invite. So the 7th time, I got a interview date in which i had revived a second interview . They asked a racists question, they asked if i could speak SPANISH! I was taken back by the question, and tell you the truth I think that was the reason I was invited to a second interview. But I don't speak Spanish....do people a color a favor don't assume that people who have dark hair and dark skin speak Spanish. This was a very racists interview.

Front Desk Monitor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Volunteers of America (Brooklyn, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

It was pretty simple, I received an interview fairly quick. I was asked simply questions, nothing too out of the ordinary. I was interviewed by two of the directors. After the interview if you move on to the next step you then fill out a paper application. The next will be your drug test.

Business Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Volunteers of America (Bronx, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online and interviewed in the Bronx location. Had to wait for a bit because one of the interviewers were busy. The interview was easy. Went down a list of questions. Very uneventful but I thought it went well. Told I would hear from them in a few days and they never called me back. I followed up with an email and still no response. They spoke about integrity at the interview... Too bad they don't follow their own advice.

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Volunteers of America.

Interview

I applied online and was sent a deeper description of the position, benefits, the application, etc with instructions on how to set up a phone screen. I completed all of this within a couple of hours and set up a phone interview for the next day. The phone interview went well because I was then scheduled for an in-person interview the next day. After the in-person interview I sent a follow up thank you email and waited a week before being called to schedule my next interview. After that interview I sent another thank you email (interviewed with a different person) and I a week went by with hearing nothing from them. During the first in-person interview I was given the contact information to reach out to one of regional managers for any questions at all during the interview process. I reached out to her after a week of not hearing anything, to ask for an update/feedback. I was told that I was definitely still in the running and the next round of interviews would be with National VP, they just hadn't scheduled those yet. A week after that correspondence, I received an email from ZipRecruiter (the sight I had applied through), with a generic email saying I was no longer in consideration. I reached out to woman I had messaged just a week earlier asking for any feedback, but I haven't heard anything from her. After dragging on this process for over a month, where I remained very professional and patient- I expected some professionalism in return. I've worked in hiring for over a year a now and any time we have actively been working with/interviewing a candidate we always follow up with a personal email, preferably phone call, when we have chosen not to move forward with a candidate. If they ask for feedback we give it to them, or at least let them know if we don't have any. It is obvious they don't respect the candidates they interview. I have been turned down from other positions before, so that isn't what is the most upsetting about this situation, anytime I have I've always been treated with the professionalism that I try to show and given honest feedback when asked- never straight up ignored. I urge anyone interviewing through them to proceed with extreme caution and take into consideration how they treat you during the interview process, because it's likely to reflect how they treat any employees.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle stress? (Was asked in every interview I had with them)   1 Answer

Youth Advocate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Volunteers of America (Salt Lake City, UT) in November 2016.

Interview

Very relaxed and casual. They requested I dress casually which was a bit awkward at first because I have never been to a casual interview. When I got there I felt very welcome and comfortable. The interview was held in a laid-back group room with large couches. I felt confident and did not hesitate on answering their questions. It was definitely the most comfortable I have ever felt in a job interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about offering bleach kits for needles rather than promoting abstinence from drug use?   1 Answer

Store Employee Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Volunteers of America.

Interview

Simple and short. Discussed previous experience that would make one a good fit for a retail environment. Went over hours, pay and positions that were available.was told there would be a call either way by the end of the week.

Case Manager Interview

Application

Interview

The position duties were reviewed at length. Interviewer asked if I could perform these duties. Then asked if I could start the following Monday. HR contacted me a week later to take a drug test and gave me a start date. I never had a job offer or real interview.

Interview Questions

• Is this something you can do   1 Answer

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Volunteers of America (Durham, NC) in October 2016.

Interview

Contacted via phone for an in person interview, Administrator assumed I had already spoken to two others before getting to him so the conversation was very awkward! Afterward I was told I would hear back within the next 3-4 days. On day 5 I sent a follow up email, never heard back until another week later from someone I never heard of or spoke with that another candidate had been chosen for the position.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working with the elder population?   Answer Question

Counselor III - Portland InAct Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Volunteers of America (Portland, OR) in September 2016.

Interview

My interview began 20 minutes late due to the fact that the man who was supposed to interview me had double-booked himself and his staff was trying to decide what to do. They ultimately decided to hold the interview without him, which surprised me. All the staff took turns reading questions off of a printed sheet of paper and seemed a bit lost, which felt discouraging to me.

One person finally told me that they were all clinicians on staff and were not sure of what the hiring manager was hoping for in a clinician for this position. The staff were friendly and did their best to accommodate me, and seemed to show a genuine interest in what I was saying. However, they were unable to answer specific questions about the position (salary, schedule, etc.).

The hiring manager did not contact me to apologize or follow up, so I had to email him with the questions his staff could not answer. He promptly called me and put me on hold for several minutes while he located the answers for me. All in all, the interview process felt messy and like a waste of my time. Compensation seemed above par for what other agencies were offering though!

Interview Questions

• "Describe a time you've had a conflict with a peer or client and how you resolved it (whether it went well or poorly)."   Answer Question