Volusion Web Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Volusion

2.0

Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Volusion (Austin, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied online and got an email from the recruiter the day after asking about a good time to talk on the phone. After setting that up we had a phone interview where she asked questions relating to my design experience, design process, and a few other questions that could relate to the position. Keeping up to date with new design trends and how I find out about new ideas. Also about what tools I use to design with.
After that the recruiter sent me a design briefing for a fake client that was pretty thorough. I was able to find other peoples samples on Behance that had clearly applied for the same position so I assume they have a few on hand to send to potentials. I was given a few days to complete my designs and send back (it was just for a home page design too not a full site) but the company is very face paced so getting the designs done in a short amount of time helps as well.
After sending my designs back the recruiter sent them over to the design team for the leads to check out. Within the same day I got call from the HR department setting up a time for me to come in for a face to face interview. She also emailed over some documents to fill out kind of outlining my work experience and such.
For the face to face it took about 45 minutes. We went over some of my portfolio items and talked more about the clients I had worked with and more on my design process etc etc etc. It was kind of a "make sure I wasn't crazy" feeling to it really.
I got a call later that evening with my offer.

Interview Questions

• There were a few unexpected questions like "if snowflakes had a flavor what would you like it to be?" and some other goofy questions. I do want to include they didn't have any questions that sort of set you up for a bad answer which was nice.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was for about 10k more than what the average is on here so I was surprised by this. I am however having to relocate for the job and they had explained they don't offer relocation assistance. I asked to drop the salary by 2k for the first year and see if I could get that as a sign on bonus to help with moving. I haven't heard back about that yet.

Other Interview Reviews for Volusion

Web Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Volusion in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online through the Volusion website and about a week later I was contacted through email requesting a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty standard. Asked about my skills and design process. On the phone I was asked if I would be available to complete a design exercise. A few hours later I received the fake brief and had 48 hours to complete it. The exercise was pretty fun and a good test for what the actual job requirements would be. (Landing page for an online store) After turning in the final design I was contacted the same day for an in-person interview. I met with two of the design leads and we discussed the role and my design process. The interview was relaxed, but professional. No questions asking what I thought my strengths or weaknesses were! Just making sure I was a good fit for the role. I received a phone call a few days later with an offer. Overall I felt very comfortable during the interview process – it wasn't a stuck up atmosphere and I felt that I could be honest with my questions and answers.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you become a millionaire tomorrow and what would you want snow to be flavored are a few examples of the more unorthodox questions they will ask you for in writing. In person be prepared to discuss your design process, but you won't have to go through your whole portfolio step by step.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was offered a competitive salary similar to what can be found on Glassdoor already. I tried asking for a higher salary, but they were firm with their original offer.