Von Maur Executive Training Program Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Von Maur Executive Training Program Interview Questions

3.1

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Executive Training Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Von Maur.

Interview

Horrible experience, out dated company.
    Called me for a screening interview, made it to next round, this was a hour long phone call, then was asked to go to Davenport for in person interview.

Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Von Maur (Davenport, IA) in November 2015.

Interview

Initially there is a screening process. During the screening they ask you basic questions like where do you see yourself in 5 years, why are you interested in buying, if you are willing to relocate, and what your salary expectations are. If you pass the screening you will have a phone interview with either a store manager or an HR employee. This lasts a little over an hour. Here you answer behavioral based questions. If you pass that you will be asked to come to the corporate office in Iowa. In Iowa they will ask you a few behavioral based questions (some overlap) and additionally just want to talk about your goals and give you a tour of the office.

Interview Questions

• Name a time that you set a goal but failed to achieve it, Name a time when a policy was put in place that you didn't agree with, Name a time when you had to make a decision that affected a lot of people.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Von Maur (Davenport, IA) in April 2015.

Interview

First was a phone screen-they just want to get to you more
    Second-45-1/hr phone interview- all scenario questions
    Third-Corporate 1 hour interview- scenario questions and why you want to work for Von Maur

Interview Questions

• How would you handle an upset customer? Tell me about a time where you disagreed with an idea and what you did? Tell me a time where you had to confront someone?   Answer Question

Executive Training Program Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Von Maur in March 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position at the beginning of March. About a week later I was contacted to do a phone interview. The HR person purposefully stated that the phone call was *not* an interview, but it was quite obviously an interview. They asked the standard questions: Where do you see yourself in 5 years, what makes you a good candidate for the position, what skills could you contribute, what are you looking for in a job/company/career, etc. When our call was done they said that they would contact me by the 22nd and let me know either way. They still haven't.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer rephrased questions so it was difficult to come up with original answers. I found myself answering them all the same because they were all just different versions of the same question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Von Maur (Davenport, IA) in October 2011.

Interview

I met with the college recruiter at my college's career fair and then applied online. Within a few days of applying online HR contacted me to schedule an interview. During this time she asked me several questions regarding why I chose Von Maur and why I wanted to be a buyer, at the end of the phone conversation she then informed me that she would like to schedule a formal interview. My first formal interview was with the same college recruiter asking me questions about myself as well as behavioral questions. She then contacted me again several days later to inform me that they wanted to do a second phone interview. I then interviewed with one of the store managers from their stores and it lasted about an hour, consisting mostly of behavioral type questions. A week after that HR contacted me again to fill out paperwork for a background check; about a week later the director of HR called me to schedule my final interview which consisted of them flying me to their corporate office as well as a tour of their facilities. Less than a week later they called offering me the job.

Overall they were extremely nice and very accommodating! They paid for all of my travel expenses and even paid for me to relocate. You must be willing to relocate or they won't even look at you!

Interview Questions

• Describe a project that you implemented on your own at work and how did you go about carrying it out.

Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision that affected a lot of other people.

Describe a time when you had to work with a difficult employee and how did you go about fixing the issue.

Describe a situaution in which you went out of your way for a customer.

Describe a time you had to work in a stressful environment and how did you work through it.   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when you agreed with a policy but no one else did and why did you have a different opinion about it.

Tell me about a goal you set in the past that you failed to achieve.

What do you look for when applying for jobs/ companies.

Describe a time when you had to address and angry customer and what did you did to make sure they didn't leave upset.   Answer Question

Von Maur Executive Training Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Von Maur (Davenport, IA) in July 2011.

Interview

I sent the recruited an email for the executive training program and received an email back from her that day asking me to apply for the position online. Two days later I received a call from the recruiter and she asked if I had about 15 minutes to talk with her about the program. We talked for about 20 minutes. She was incredibly professional and very polite. She asked me questions like
    'why do you want to work for VM?'
    'Tell me about your past positions'
    'What are your pay expectations' Which REALLY caught me off guard considering no one had ever asked me that during an interview or quick '15 min talk.....'
    ..Seemed like she was reading the questions off from a list
    Anyways, at the end of our conversation she asked me if I was still interested in the position and if I would like to begin the interviewing process and have a formal interview with her for the position. (surprised me because everyone always says that VM is VERY slow with the hiring process!!)
    My interview is tomorrow.

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Von Maur (Ann Arbor, MI) in May 2011.

Interview

very conservative, young managers phone interviewer friendly, courteous and young professional several phone interviews then two on one interview asked typical question why von maur, how would you handle difficult employees and customers etc...

Interview Questions

• where do you see yourself in 5 years   1 Answer

Negotiation

Ask them what do they pay their current employees...

Executive Training Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Von Maur.

Interview

Three interview process. The first was a phone interview with College Recruiter. The second was a phone interview with a store manager (could be from any state). Lastly they fly you up to their Corporate Office.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you set a goal and failed to achieve it.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Von Maur.

Interview

You have a phone conversation with the recruiting manager 2 or 3 times, if you do well they offer you a first phone interview which is with the same recruiting manager. If you do well on that you have a second interview with a random store manager. If they like you you will then be offered a 3rd in person interview at the corporate office in davenport iowa. This is with the HR manager and the recruiting manager. You get asked a lot of the same questions multiple times.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had an issue with a co-worker and how did you handle it. Tell me about a time you went out of your way for a customer. Tell me about a time you had to work within a group. All behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiating with this company.

Executive Training Program Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Von Maur in April 2011.

Interview

I first met the recruiter in person at a networking opportunity and then we talked on the phone afterwards. I had 3 phone conversations with the same recruiter before I was told that technically the interviewing process had even started. So we then planned another longer (30-45 mins) interview. I felt like we had already talked about so much before the actual interview. I didn't like how not upfront they were with the interview process and how long it took. In the end, I didn't even get a call about being either put through to the next round or not. All I got was a snail mail letter sent to my home address, even though it clearly shows on my resume that I am living at school. I felt like they are not as organized as they could be.

Interview Questions

• Name a previous instance where you did not support a decision or policy of management, and what did you do as a response?   Answer Question