Vudu Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Vudu Interview Questions

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vudu (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

3 people took my interview. I felt that the interviewers didn't really ask relevant questions. 1st guy asked me questions about my past experience but found it difficult to understand what I was trying to explain. May be he was not interested and was astonished when I said that as a part of a feature we executed Groovy scripts from Java classes and the scripts were stored in database. To that his question was did you store serialized objects in db. He had a difficult time understanding that classes were compiled at runtime. BTW I wrote a recursive function that would give valid palindromes in a string and made it work for the test string.

2nd person probably worked mostly on binary data. His 1st question was on count set bits in a 32 bit integer. I admitted to him that I did not deal with binary data on daily basis and the last time i used bitwise operator was in school 10 years back. However, gave him an array based solutions where a I counted number of set bits but wasnt enough. Another question again on binary stream of data which again i converted to a string example and explained my approach. While explaining the apprach i started with general case ignoring all corner cases to which the interviewer said why are you not writing entire function. Then when I started writing entire function he said I spend way to much time in writing corner cases. REALLY?? Then he asked me a question about traversing all nodes of a graph. To which i gave him recursive solution with neighbors. He didnt understand the following java for loop
    for(Node n : nodeList) and he said why was i writing pseudo code. I explained that it was valid syntax but he didnt believe. I believe he was from a world where everything was binary and didnt deal with Java on daily basis and I was form a world that used JAVA and non binary data on daily basis.

Honestly try to connect with the background of the person and ask questions relevant to your job. Testing algorithmic acumen of someone is one thing and but atleast make sure that you are asking the right question.

Interview Questions

• Give me all the permutations of valid palindrome in a string?

I strongly believe this is highly flawed question at least from example expected output. I hope some one can prove me wrong.

it is a combination of 3 different problems
         1. get all possible subsets of a string
         2. check those subsets for possibility of a palindrome
         3. get permutations of valid palindromes

I highly doubt that this can be solved in a span of 45 minutes.
      1 Answer
    • Find count of set bits in a 32 bit buffer

Easy if you know bitwise operations but last time I encountered bitwise was 10 years back in school.
      Answer Question
    • Given a buffer of binary data separate data into different buffers based on a separator. Also within valid data discard specific bits and concatenate bits.   Answer Question
    • Given a bidirectional graph, traverse all the nodes starting at any node.
      This one was easy.
      Answer Question

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vudu (Sunnyvale, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

So far this was the worst interview experience that I ever had in my 15 years of career. I have to admit that I want change to a new job only after staying with my current employer for a short period of time, the interviewers made me feel bad for not being able to stay at one place longer.

The scheduling and phone pre-screening process were actually very efficient. However, the onsite interview was intensive. I was interviewed by 8 interviewers and it took more than 5 hours. There were some challenging questions. In my honest point of view, some of the interviewers asked questions in a harsh manner and expressed strong opinions toward my background and experience. I could understand that they were pursuing the perfect candidates so there were lots of scenario questions regarding vague conditions and harsh conflict resolution. Also, I felt very uncomfortable when the interviewers showed disrespect and impatience. Some questions were even very hostile and I never got into an argument during my all interviews.

Of course I was not selected and the recruiter nicely showed me a list of feedback about area of improvements. Obviously it is only negative feedback. Well, if you have ever been in an interview that you want leave in the middle of it, this is one of them.

Interview Questions

• List the OSI layers   Answer Question
    • What is the difference between TCP and UDP   Answer Question
    • Tell me which Python database module you used?   Answer Question
    • If there is a release on Monday, a product manager comes to me and ask an emergency change on Friday that comes directly from CEO, what would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vudu (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

I would honestly say, this is one of my very dissatisfying and worst interview session in my entire 10+ year career. I was approached by an internal HR member who was prompt and nice enough in scheduling the interview for the UI engineer, But i felt that the technical interviewer himself was very arrogant and outrageous in his phone conversation right from the beginning. He called 30 mins later to the scheduled time, As soon as he called, he started pouring down questions one after the another with out any formal introduction or even checking what state i am in. Even though my resume boasted of designing UI for 20 AAA gaming titles, TV/Video UI for every major gaming console, mobile and web platforms with strong portfolio links, he reported to the recruiter that i lack basic skills and interest in UI . I even felt that he did not even go through my 10 page resume.Upon checking the interviewers's linkedin profile, I have noticed that he has not designed even a single UI in his careeer apart from vudu.

He showed least interest in my vast experiences in video streaming and GUI including working for some big names like Microsoft, Verizon. At one point he even started ridiculing them. I think he was predetermined to reject me that day, he kept asking half baked questions and jumping to the next with out even listening completely as he showed least patience. so even after i cited references as the proof to my answers in the book(Elements of programming Interviews), he challenged that those answers are incorrect.
    Example Merging K Sorted lists( I gave him all 3 Heap/Priority Queue,Divide Conquer, Merge Sort approaches). None seemed to satisfy him even to the least, He did not consider they deserve partial credit , since he gave zero feed back to the recruiter about my coding abilities.
    Most of the time, he was bragging about himself, showing least interest in the
    other person. I wonder how a big company like walmart allows a single individual to be the supreme commander and the sole decision maker. I felt that
    that i would not have accepted the position, even if they did, offer, as their entire work culture, interview processes seemed very hostile and messed up. Heard of rumours about walmart's low wage and low level work ethics, Got a own experience and bitter taste of it for the first time

Interview Questions

• Merging 2 sorted list and then extending to merge K Sorted lists. Merge lists with out sorting. Some advanced LUA and c++ questions like Virtual keyword, Lua meta tables, VTable   1 Answer

Creative Department Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vudu.

Interview

The interview process is very extensive. For me was a total of 2 hours, 4x30 minutes interviews. Very responsible that you might think is a great opportunity. When you start working, things are very casual and ther is not communication.

Interview Questions

• Not tricky questions experience and situational. I think they go more for the personality.   Answer Question

Negotiation

very straight forward. No negotiation, they offer and it was good for me at that time, so I accepted.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vudu in August 2013.

Interview

Was approached by an internal recruiter. Was a pretty standard process: phone screen, then a full panel interview that lasted over 6 hours.

Their location was hard to find, and they didn't provide proper lunch. Just snacks and colas. That's Wal-mart for ya.

They showed me their digs: very small cubes, almost claustrophobic, drab wall colors.

At the conclusion of the meeting, I asked what were next steps: another full-round of grilling. Well, my mind switched off on them when I heard that. Very picky people.

I was told about a week later that they're still talking to other candidates. I guess they couldn't come to tell me I'm not what they want. Oh well.

Interview Questions

• Design a system that manages disk space on a set top box system.   1 Answer
    • you have 2 threads: one prints out even numbers, the other prints out odd numbers. Write the threads such that the numbers print out in their proper order. i.e. 012345678910....   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Vudu in October 2011.

Interview

A phone screen interview was followed by two half-day on-site interviews.

The phone screen consisted of general-knowledge questions on a variety of topics: difference between TCP and UDP, meaning of C++ virtual function, meaning of C keyword "volatile," difference between process and thread, etc.

Interview Questions

• List all possible words that could result from keying in a sequence of digits on a telephone keypad (where 2={a|b|c}; 3={d|e|f}; etc.).   Answer Question
    • Implement put and pull operations for a FIFO.   Answer Question
    • What is deadlock and how can one avoid it?   Answer Question
    • Implement code to compute the average value of nodes in a graph.   Answer Question
    • Write code to sum the values contained in two memory slots into a third memory slot, using only 3 instructions:
      zero <slot>
      increment <slot>
      jlt <slot1>,<slot2> <location>, where jlt=jump to <location> if <slot1>is less than <slot2>.
      2 Answers