W. R. Grace Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 13, 2017

2.8

R&D Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W. R. Grace (New Brunswick, NJ) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview was brief, the questions were non-technical and touched on experiences mentioned on my resume. The interview was for an R&D internship. I expected the interviewer to be an engineer, but that was not the case.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when a team member was not pulling their own weight, and how did you (or how would you) deal with this situation?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at W. R. Grace.

Interview

I was given an interview on my college campus. The interview was for a process engineering internship. The interviewer was not an engineer and asked very generic questions, which I was not expecting. Due to this, I was not able to explain my experiences in great detail.

I ended up getting a call from a technical recruiter that asked more technical questions. It ended up being a very unexpected mini interview. Their entire timeline was slower than they said it would be, and they never got back to me in the end.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you failed, or a project did not go as well as you wanted it to.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at W. R. Grace.

Interview

Phone interview was very straightforward and asked several basic problem solving questions. The turn around process is very slow though- they called me to plan the interview and the date they offered was two weeks from the day they called

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to work with a difficult person   Answer Question

Plant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at W. R. Grace (Portland, OR) in June 2016.

Interview

was contacted by a recruiter. obviously not a retained search as he was really trying to get some additional contacts by asking what companies ive interviewed with. in any case, when he had mentioned W. R. Grace i had already told him how i felt about this company. As you can tell by my tone, i dont think very highly of them due to past experiences. in any case, he convinced me it was a different geographic location and thus, cultural differences. so i answered his questions and let him submit me.
    they came back quick with "...too many job changes..." that's always a tell-tale sign that they want employees who will put up with unfair work practices and dont let anyone tell you differently as HR reports to me so i know the inside tricks of the trade and lingo used. when i questioned the recruiter further, he stated that "...yes, the hourlies/operations staff is pushing towards a union..."
    so, that proves my point that upper management is unfair to employees etc.
    furthermore, they are selling off parts of their business which is never a good sign.
    all in all, im very happy that it stopped there and i will never waste my time with W. R. Grace ever again.

Payroll Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at W. R. Grace.

Interview

Not one person read my resume prior to my arrival, which surprised me. They were printing them out each time I arrived. Everyone was very nice; I am not sure if they really knew what they wanted in a candidate.

Manager, Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at W. R. Grace (Baltimore, MD) in February 2016.

Interview

Friendly but professional people. Good questions. More focus on cultural fit with the organization rather than my technical skills. Overly concerned about the corporate fit and flare.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions. Nothing out of the ordinary.   1 Answer

Director of FP&A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at W. R. Grace (Cambridge, MA) in December 2015.

Interview

Standard two person interview functional interview. The VP followed by the head business unit finance person. This was preceded by two HR phone screen interviews with the HR recruiter and then his boss. Heavy focus on salary maximum that would be paid for the role. Typically there's a range so this was a bit unusual.

Interview Questions

• Background, skills, strengths and value add. Typical interview questions although the first interviewer started with college and initial job experience.   1 Answer

Human Resources Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at W. R. Grace (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Started with phone screen with recruiter (she was great). Followed by in-person round with four members of the team. The first was a group interview with three people, the second interview was with the head of HR.

All in all, I was very impressed with the process. The person driving the process leads recruiting in MD, and she totally "got it" and had amazing follow-through. She also did a very good job prepping me and staying me updated through the process.

I was very impressed with the company.

Interview Questions

• Questions were mostly around my background. Some behavioral questions. Conversations were pretty informal.   Answer Question

Research and Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albany, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at W. R. Grace (Albany, OR) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview was mostly technical. They asked questions about research I had done in the past, and seemed most interested in how well I could talk about my previous work, and how interested I seemed in the research I had done. They also focused on discussing what work I would be doing, and whether I would be interested in that type of work.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to walk them through the process and results of the research I had done in school.   Answer Question

R&D Chemist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at W. R. Grace (Cambridge, MA) in July 2015.

Interview

Met with 2 different principle scientists (one at a time) and talked about previous work/educational experience as well as previous research. Then taken to meet with the director of R&D and reiterated everything all over again. Very relaxed and open discussions focusing mainly on my resume and job details.

Interview Questions

• What is my laboratory experience as well as if I had any construction/power tool experience.   Answer Question