W.W. Grainger Account Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

W.W. Grainger Account Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jan 5, 2017

3.1

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

5 total interviews:
1. Phone interview with recruiter
2. On-Site interview with district manager and national account manager - STAR questions - Recruiter sent me prep material before interview
3. Phone interview w/ district manager from separate business unit - STAR questions
4. In-Person informal interview with district manager
5. Phone interview with regional VP - STAR questions

Interview Questions

• Describe the sales accomplishments on your resume, your process to achieve the accomplishments, and your specific role.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for W.W. Grainger

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

First a phone interview with the corporate recruiter and an online personality test. Followed by a second phone interview with the recruiter. Next, an onsite interview with DM's. They use the STAR format which I was prepared for thanks to the knowledgable recruiter. However, when onsite they never asked any questions pertaining to my experience managing large, complex global accounts which really surprised me. Instead they asked about my "elevator pitch" which is something to ask a Territory Sales Rep who is in a cold calling role. I had an entire book of examples prepared to showcase specific solutions I have solved for clients and they never asked about it. They seemed to be more concerned about how I would fit into their culture. If you are from a business environment that encourages reps to really think outside the box and gives you the freedom to run your business without an overload of activity metrics I would not recommend interviewing here. Very PC and micromanaged culture and unless I'm wrong this culture seems to hurt their AM's more than it helps....but also a very good company with much to offer customers, IMO. Based on my experience, I'd say they are most likely prepping for a reorganization.

Interview Questions

• Several questions pertaining to my sales performance in previous roles.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

Basic questions, mainly about what I have done, and explained what the positions is, and what expectations are. Unexpected question was compensation, previous position had a higher base then they offer but I anticipated that, just was not ready for a specific question, but it was easy to answer.

Interview Questions

• How many accounts did I manager in the past?   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

Phone call with questions about roles and interest in job, a request to perform an online assessment test and then with another phone interview. It proceeded with your current job, salary history for past years which was kind of hard to grasp because I knew where they were going with this and it seemed more about money then qualifications after realizing nothing was asked about past accomplishments ( maybe new generation?) Asked me about my current target achievement results. Some questions were confusing felt in a rush to answer, a disadvantage for Grainger in the long haul. Challenging to put everything you do in one perspective especially since it does not really showcase your true abilities. Told me they would call me back. They did not however I proceeded to follow up and gain an answer and out of good faith they responded per email. I thought the HR person knew the objective job pretty well and was very well verse in gaining as much information about the most important aspects of a candidate to fit that specific role and not necessarily about ones ability to do the job. Almost too military cop like. Could it be the money? You make too much? Too little? I don't know just another guessing game. Maybe i was not clear enough on my resume and answers. I was not disappointed not to move forward since I handle my business as always and move on, and glad the HR person knew what he wanted in a way at least it felt that way, discipline and straight to the point. No personality.

Interview Questions

• Explain the difference between a territory manager and a business development manager?   2 Answers

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

Smooth, nothing out of the norm. IF you prepare you will do fine. Not hard, if they don't like you =, the interview process will end very quickly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Deer Park, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Deer Park, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview process was 3 phone interviews and a couple weeks later they called me in for a face to face interview. Face to face consisted of 2 panels of 4 people with basic questions.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

I applied online and was given an automatic response that they were moving forward with another candidate. I received a call a week later about the role and was told what I need to prepare for the interview.

The interview process is composed of 3 stages. The first stage is a call with the HR specialist from HQ offices who filters out candidates for the role by screening applicants based on experience, business acumen, and organizational fit.You will also take a chally exam to see if you qualify for the interview. If you pass than you advance to the second step. The second step is follow by a face to face interview with the hiring manager and another manager who can provide feedback to the hiring manager based on the interviewees responses and performance. The final step is a call with the hiring managers boss who asks questions regarding the role and wants to confirm the positive feedback given by the hiring manager.They use the STAR ( Situation, Task , Action, Result) process during the interviews so be ready to speak broadly about your past experience in terms of projects and their outcomes.

The experience was pleasant however, most of the hiring managers have a bench and I am not sure why they post to externals if they have a selected candidate in mind. Also, when I interview it was not very diverse at all. Which was a red flag for me since the market the role is was very diverse.

Interview Questions

• Please tell us about a moment when a peer was going through a difficult situation whether at work or in his personal life and tell us what you did to help him/her and what the result was   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

I was contacted for a phone screen and then asked to take an online behavioral test. The panel interview was then set up.

I interviewed for two hours. Two separate panels. One with only the hiring manager.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger in February 2015.

Interview

Exactly like the other glass door reviews. 30 - 45 minute phone interview with the in house recruiter then she scheduled the face to face the following week. Met with a panel in the first interview and a District Manager from another area in the second. Star behavior type questions throughout. It sounded like they have a decent amount of turnover in this geography with the most senior Account Manager in the area at 3 months. Received a follow up from Recruiter 3 days after interview saying they had chosen another candidate. Inhouse Recruiting very professional with good communication.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niles, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Niles, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

You can apply on line, there will be a prescreening telephone interview, once completed, there will be one to two more face to face interviews with multiple managers. The company uses the STAR interview approach.

Interview Questions

• One example question they asked was, Tell me a about a time when you dealt with a difflcult situation   1 Answer