W.W. Grainger Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 11, 2017

91 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Northbrook, IL).

Interview

Applied online and was called within a couple of days. The process moved very quickly. Phone screen with recruiter, face-to-face within a week with 3-person panel, a third (and fourth) interview within a few days with two different sales managers, as well as an hour-long shadowing session with one of the inside sales account managers. Everybody was friendly - but I was confused by why the sales manager in the third interview seemed to be trying to dissuade me from being interested in the job. ??? I found this very unprofessional. In the end, I received a call that they felt I was "overqualified" and should apply for an outside sales position. Props, at least, to the company/recruiter for personally calling me to tell me I did not get the job. I appreciated that.

Interview Questions

• STAR questions... tell me about a time you... what was the action you took... what was the result.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Very organized and thoughtful process. Met with many different people, which provided a good feeling for the culture.
    Process started with a phone interview and then progressed to on site interviews.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of helping an employee progress in their career.   Answer Question

DC Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minooka, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Minooka, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview process involves having a tour of the facility , then being told about the benefits packages and then brought to interviewed one by one. They also want you to remember a product from the catalog and do a quick presentation on it to the managers

Interview Questions

• Who do respond at work when your having a bad day?   1 Answer

Technical Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Lake Forest, IL).

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me by phone and asked to set up a time to talk. I suggested some and never got a confirmation, then I got a call out of the blue for my first call. I then was rushed to set up an in person with 4 hiring managers. It was weird because they were not 100% sure where I was in the process. It also just takes so long which I think is just part of Grainger's process but definitely no conducive to the fast moving technical world we live in.

Interview Questions

• All behavioral questions and how you work with the team.   Answer Question

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was phoned the same day by a company recruiter for a short interview. Was emailed for a second telephonic interview to test my technical knowledge which I aced according to the interviewer. I was then scheduled for a 3rd and final interview for which I had to travel to Chicago to meet with 2 manager which asked me the usual HR questions. This interview lasted about a hour.

Everyone was very professional and friendly and I had a great experience. I emailed the recruiter, Kay, about a week later to follow up on when a decision will be made etc etc. No response. I waited another week and send a short email following up. No response, not even an automated response that my application was unsuccessful.

Not every job is a perfect fit and not every application is successful, I accept that. I do however appreciate it when a company extends me the courtesy of informing me that my application has been unsuccessful, especially if I had more than one interview and had to travel out of state to attend an interview. I almost lost another job as a result of holding out for the position at Grainger. Very unprofessional conduct from their recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Describe when you made a decision that was very unpopular with the rest of your team.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you let your team down and how you rectified the situation.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Lincolnshire, IL).

Interview

Very brief interview process overall. I had 1 HR phone screen and 1 onsite interview with hiring manager. The managers were very nice, conversational. They dug into my school experience, former work experience, and future goals.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Grainger?   1 Answer

Government Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Northbrook, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

The hiring process was a pretty smooth transition, I had an email sent to me by a recruiter, I replied to the email and the recruiter called me by phone around 11a and set up a phone interview later that day by 4p with the recruiting specialist, she loved our call and passed me on to the next step. Which was an in person panel interview for the next day with the sales manager, the regional sales manager, and the recruiter I had my initial phone interview with, it was the typical STAR interview questions, but I did well, because I was prepared and I know my experience well! They of course loved me, because I had everyone laughing in the interview! The total interview lasted 40 minutes! Was called that same day by 6:30p and was extended an offer! I accepted!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult sale? How did handle and what was the result?   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

Received an email to schedule time to talk to a recruiter. Called recruiter at time agreed to and recruiter did not answer the phone. When I got the recruiter on the phone I felt like I was being yelled at. The recruiter was clearly rushed and seemed annoyed that they had to talk to me. Never set the stage for the call as any experienced recruiter that knows how to sell the company and opportunity would. Asked me some basic questions but had no clear direction for the call. Asked me if I had any questions after about 10 minutes. Clearly they had no interest in talking with me so I excused myself from the call.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions, again do you have any questions...." ok thanks good bye"   Answer Question

Field Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

I was a referral so my process may have been different.

Initial phone screen, interview with hiring manager and another Grainger employee at the same time. Then 30 minute call with regional vp.

Overall very professional and one of the best interview processes I have gone through.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There isn't one. Base is set, but you really can out earn your base.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Lake Forest, IL).

Interview

Internview on campus and then flown to Lake Forest for in person interview. The in person interview was pretty difficult, there was 3 interviews and also a case study. Case study was very easy.

Interview Questions

• How many boxes will fit in this room?   1 Answer