W.W. Grainger Information Technology Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

4.0

1 Candidate Interview ReviewBack to all Interviews

Information Technology Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Lake Forest, IL) in April 2012.

Interview

I submitted my resume via the grainger.com careers website and was able to connect with an internal recruiter a week later. What followed was a 30 minute phone-screen type interview to see if I was a good fit. The recruiter was very good and asked intelligent questions about my background. Then she said that she would forward my resume to the hiring manager for his review to see if he wanted to move to the next step, which was an in person interview. He liked my background so an in-person interview was scheduled. This was on-site at the company with four separate senior people over 2 hours. Most of the people that I spoke with spent the first few minutes of the interview to introduce themselves and to let me know what their role was and how I would interact with them if I was hired. Each person spent 30 minutes with me--they asked some of the same questions, but each had their own "hot button" questions that were different. The interview questions focused on my background and experience--there were many behavioral questions asked too. For example, "how have you handled change management in the past?" and "how have you gotten someone who didn't directly work for you to do something they didn't really want to do?".

I must have done well in that interview session because they asked me back for a second round. The second round was much the same, except it was two hours with four different people, each allotted 30 minutes each. These interviews were tougher--they really pressed me on my examples and wanted to know why I made some of the decisions I had made in the past. They also asked me "why I wanted to work for Grainger" and "why I was interested in this particular job". Also, one of the people talked about the job and the fact that it had high-stress times and wanted to make sure I was OK with that.

Ultimately I was told that I had made it to the final two candidates but did not get the job. I believe that it was because I didn't really hit it off with one of the 8 people that I interviewed with--one of those in the 2nd in-person interview round. Overall, it was a positive interview experience, I just wish I could have had a 2nd interview with the person that I didn't hit it off with to see if we truly were not on the same page or if it was just that one or both of us were "off" that day.

Interview Questions

• How have you managed change in the past?   Answer Question
  • How have you gotten someone, who does not work for you, to do something to advance your project or initiative?   1 Answer