W.W. Grainger Interview Questions | Glassdoor

W.W. Grainger Interview Questions

Updated Aug 8, 2017

152 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger in July 2017.

Interview

The recruiting process for the Phoenix (Tempe), AZ Call center is a joke. I was contacted via email and told that my experience made me a great fit for the role and asked me for the best time available to have an interview over the phone. I responded and had an interview scheduled for a couple of days later. The recruiter never called me at the confirmed time of the interview. I reached out to make sure I didn't miss any communication and received a response that she was called into a meeting an hour after I sent her an email. With no apology for not calling or emailing that she would need to reschedule the interview.

I let her know what times I was available on the days she said she would be available. To which I received no communication for over a week and then I received a decline letter.

WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!

Manager, Command Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Jacksonville, FL) in July 2017.

Interview

I flew from D.C. To Jacksonville out of pocket because they sounded so interested, but when they met me and learned I was over 40, I never heard from them again. Like so many others, they apparently want young kids working there. $800 later, I talked my company out of using Grainger for a competitor.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Very organized and thoughtful process. Met with many different people, which provided a good feeling for the culture.
    Process started with a phone interview and then progressed to on site interviews.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of helping an employee progress in their career.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

Rude and uninterested. That was the managers demeanor. I had 5 different recruiters call me for this job and was not offered a position. As I was leaving the interview I had another recruiter call me. Total waist of time. It was as quiet as a library. No coomradery 1984 ish atmosphere. Don't even bother. The job was to call former customers and bring them back.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had an upset caller and how was it resolved?   1 Answer

Technical Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Lake Forest, IL).

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me by phone and asked to set up a time to talk. I suggested some and never got a confirmation, then I got a call out of the blue for my first call. I then was rushed to set up an in person with 4 hiring managers. It was weird because they were not 100% sure where I was in the process. It also just takes so long which I think is just part of Grainger's process but definitely no conducive to the fast moving technical world we live in.

Interview Questions

• All behavioral questions and how you work with the team.   Answer Question

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was phoned the same day by a company recruiter for a short interview. Was emailed for a second telephonic interview to test my technical knowledge which I aced according to the interviewer. I was then scheduled for a 3rd and final interview for which I had to travel to Chicago to meet with 2 manager which asked me the usual HR questions. This interview lasted about a hour.

Everyone was very professional and friendly and I had a great experience. I emailed the recruiter, Kay, about a week later to follow up on when a decision will be made etc etc. No response. I waited another week and send a short email following up. No response, not even an automated response that my application was unsuccessful.

Not every job is a perfect fit and not every application is successful, I accept that. I do however appreciate it when a company extends me the courtesy of informing me that my application has been unsuccessful, especially if I had more than one interview and had to travel out of state to attend an interview. I almost lost another job as a result of holding out for the position at Grainger. Very unprofessional conduct from their recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Describe when you made a decision that was very unpopular with the rest of your team.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you let your team down and how you rectified the situation.   Answer Question

Account Relationship Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger in March 2017.

Interview

Ooof. This is only a review of 19/45 minutes of my first phone interview. I had to cut the interview short. I was so turned off by the process, questions and the way the recruiter made me feel like a number, or simply a task in her day. No feedback on my answers, long pauses, no engagement with me as a human being! 15 minutes was spent answering simple questions that are printed on my resume. I understand going over past performance and accomplishments, but this was just a waste of my time. If this is any insight as to life at Grainger, then I'm out!

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

I was asked to interview after applying through my university. I was working full-time and also in school twice a week for a Master's in HR Management.
    But I was intrigued by their internship because they had some new skills I wanted to gain, plus it was a company that I was interest in after learning more about them.

However, instead of contacting me to ask what best time and date would work for me, I got an email instead that had a spreadsheet of a one day window with specific times. This was sent to me two days before the their scheduled interviews, I had a midterm and work for all those times. Most companies don't do this and expect you to drop everything with a two day notice.
    I sent them an email letting them know that I would not be able to make any of their times.
    Instead of trying to reschedule or apologizing for their inconsideration, I was sent an email later telling me that they thought I was basically not a right fit and they would look at other applicants. I feel like I dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions

• Below are the interview slots available – please indicate your top 3 preferred interview time selections for tomorrow!   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

Received an email to schedule time to talk to a recruiter. Called recruiter at time agreed to and recruiter did not answer the phone. When I got the recruiter on the phone I felt like I was being yelled at. The recruiter was clearly rushed and seemed annoyed that they had to talk to me. Never set the stage for the call as any experienced recruiter that knows how to sell the company and opportunity would. Asked me some basic questions but had no clear direction for the call. Asked me if I had any questions after about 10 minutes. Clearly they had no interest in talking with me so I excused myself from the call.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions, again do you have any questions...." ok thanks good bye"   Answer Question

Field Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Dallas, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, two f2f interviews. The first face to face interview was with one of the District Managers, for a position on his team. The second interview was a panel interview, with another District Mgr and two individuals on the team. I believe that the second interview was a waste of time. I did not hear from the company for 1 month, and then I received an email stating that I didn't get the first position, and I never received anything, about the second position.