W.W. Grainger Interview Questions | Glassdoor

W.W. Grainger Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2017

CSA/Warehouse Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oak Creek, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Oak Creek, WI).

Interview

Long two hour interview, not particularly hard but they seem to want you to remember quite a bit of things from a long time ago. Seemed very concerned with the amount of times.

Interview Questions

• If a fellow employee, whom I considered a friend, stole something in front of me, what would you do?   1 Answer

Technical Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Lake Forest, IL).

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me by phone and asked to set up a time to talk. I suggested some and never got a confirmation, then I got a call out of the blue for my first call. I then was rushed to set up an in person with 4 hiring managers. It was weird because they were not 100% sure where I was in the process. It also just takes so long which I think is just part of Grainger's process but definitely no conducive to the fast moving technical world we live in.

Interview Questions

• All behavioral questions and how you work with the team.   Answer Question

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was phoned the same day by a company recruiter for a short interview. Was emailed for a second telephonic interview to test my technical knowledge which I aced according to the interviewer. I was then scheduled for a 3rd and final interview for which I had to travel to Chicago to meet with 2 manager which asked me the usual HR questions. This interview lasted about a hour.

Everyone was very professional and friendly and I had a great experience. I emailed the recruiter, Kay, about a week later to follow up on when a decision will be made etc etc. No response. I waited another week and send a short email following up. No response, not even an automated response that my application was unsuccessful.

Not every job is a perfect fit and not every application is successful, I accept that. I do however appreciate it when a company extends me the courtesy of informing me that my application has been unsuccessful, especially if I had more than one interview and had to travel out of state to attend an interview. I almost lost another job as a result of holding out for the position at Grainger. Very unprofessional conduct from their recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Describe when you made a decision that was very unpopular with the rest of your team.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you let your team down and how you rectified the situation.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Lincolnshire, IL).

Interview

Very brief interview process overall. I had 1 HR phone screen and 1 onsite interview with hiring manager. The managers were very nice, conversational. They dug into my school experience, former work experience, and future goals.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Grainger?   1 Answer

Account Relationship Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger in March 2017.

Interview

Ooof. This is only a review of 19/45 minutes of my first phone interview. I had to cut the interview short. I was so turned off by the process, questions and the way the recruiter made me feel like a number, or simply a task in her day. No feedback on my answers, long pauses, no engagement with me as a human being! 15 minutes was spent answering simple questions that are printed on my resume. I understand going over past performance and accomplishments, but this was just a waste of my time. If this is any insight as to life at Grainger, then I'm out!

Government Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Northbrook, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

The hiring process was a pretty smooth transition, I had an email sent to me by a recruiter, I replied to the email and the recruiter called me by phone around 11a and set up a phone interview later that day by 4p with the recruiting specialist, she loved our call and passed me on to the next step. Which was an in person panel interview for the next day with the sales manager, the regional sales manager, and the recruiter I had my initial phone interview with, it was the typical STAR interview questions, but I did well, because I was prepared and I know my experience well! They of course loved me, because I had everyone laughing in the interview! The total interview lasted 40 minutes! Was called that same day by 6:30p and was extended an offer! I accepted!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult sale? How did handle and what was the result?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Janesville, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Janesville, WI).

Interview

You get a phone interview and they ask basic questions like availability, tell me about yourself, why do you want to work here, etc. If you like you and you have good phone skills you get a call about an in person interview. This was average difficulty and involved generic interview questions that most employers use which can be found online.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had an upset customer and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you offered leadership skills in a situation.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

I was asked to interview after applying through my university. I was working full-time and also in school twice a week for a Master's in HR Management.
    But I was intrigued by their internship because they had some new skills I wanted to gain, plus it was a company that I was interest in after learning more about them.

However, instead of contacting me to ask what best time and date would work for me, I got an email instead that had a spreadsheet of a one day window with specific times. This was sent to me two days before the their scheduled interviews, I had a midterm and work for all those times. Most companies don't do this and expect you to drop everything with a two day notice.
    I sent them an email letting them know that I would not be able to make any of their times.
    Instead of trying to reschedule or apologizing for their inconsideration, I was sent an email later telling me that they thought I was basically not a right fit and they would look at other applicants. I feel like I dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions

• Below are the interview slots available – please indicate your top 3 preferred interview time selections for tomorrow!   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

Received an email to schedule time to talk to a recruiter. Called recruiter at time agreed to and recruiter did not answer the phone. When I got the recruiter on the phone I felt like I was being yelled at. The recruiter was clearly rushed and seemed annoyed that they had to talk to me. Never set the stage for the call as any experienced recruiter that knows how to sell the company and opportunity would. Asked me some basic questions but had no clear direction for the call. Asked me if I had any questions after about 10 minutes. Clearly they had no interest in talking with me so I excused myself from the call.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions, again do you have any questions...." ok thanks good bye"   Answer Question

Fied Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (New York, NY).

Interview

phone interview will lead to in person interview . 5 star process is what they are hoping you use to answer their questions. why should I hire you?

Interview Questions

• you asked to provided examples of time when you had a challenge ,that you would often experience in this position and how did you handle it.   Answer Question