W.W. Grainger Interview Questions | Glassdoor

W.W. Grainger Interview Questions

Updated Apr 12, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

It was a formal panel Interview with thee people sitting about 10 feet away facing me. The process lasted several hours. Each interviewer asked several questions pertaining to why I felt qualified for the job and how I would bring success to their team.

Interview Questions

• Describe your most recent success and how do you see that transferring to success in this role.   Answer Question

Service Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Appleton, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Appleton, WI) in March 2015.

Interview

1st interview with recruiter was great. We laughed some, but over all, a typical phone interview. Great attitude! I was then contacted via email saying I would be having an in store interview with the Market Mgr but also, she was trying to get a Manager from another branch so they could give me a Panel Interview. I was contacted again, saying it would be with the Market Mgr only, and gave me all sorts of information. Everything from, learn about the company big-time. She gave me sales info, product info..I mean everything about the company you could think of. Told me the type of questions that would be asked in the interview. Behavioral STAR. Well, all weekend, I learned so much about the company, I felt liked I worked there already. I worked on the interview questions. The Recruiter, had me prepared for what I thought was everything! Monday, I get to the interview 1/2 hour early. I wait outside until about 7:50am and go in. The Market Mgr meets with me about 8:05am. She introduced herself and asked me in to her small office. Her first words then were, I usually interview in a meeting room and not typically in her office. She then says something that in a 30 year period of having interviews, I had never heard. "Have a seat. I want to try to get this done as quick as possible" I immediately felt pressured to hurry through the questions and answers. She never asked anything about me personally. Didn't ask any of the Behavioral STAR questions, like I was told to study. Her main question/s were about team building. She was pleasant, but I can honestly say, I have never had an interview with someone that had less of a personality. I left there confused. I wasn't asked anything about what I knew about the company or again, anything the recruiter told me to really study over the weekend. I don't blame the recruiter. I felt like she wanted me to get the job. Anyway, I call her up the next day and explain a little how the interview went in my opinion. Nothing like this. She said the manager told her she was going to hire someone else and that I didn't have enough supervisor experience. Mind you, I have over 20 years of experience with supervisor experience. I thanked her and wish her and the company my best. I just can't understand why I wasted my weekend to study all this company info and interview questions, again, to not be asked anything regarding any of it. It felt like the moment I walked in her office, that I had no chance. It's too bad, I really was excited to have a chance to work there. Seems like a great company!

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

I applied online and was given an automatic response that they were moving forward with another candidate. I received a call a week later about the role and was told what I need to prepare for the interview.

The interview process is composed of 3 stages. The first stage is a call with the HR specialist from HQ offices who filters out candidates for the role by screening applicants based on experience, business acumen, and organizational fit.You will also take a chally exam to see if you qualify for the interview. If you pass than you advance to the second step. The second step is follow by a face to face interview with the hiring manager and another manager who can provide feedback to the hiring manager based on the interviewees responses and performance. The final step is a call with the hiring managers boss who asks questions regarding the role and wants to confirm the positive feedback given by the hiring manager.They use the STAR ( Situation, Task , Action, Result) process during the interviews so be ready to speak broadly about your past experience in terms of projects and their outcomes.

The experience was pleasant however, most of the hiring managers have a bench and I am not sure why they post to externals if they have a selected candidate in mind. Also, when I interview it was not very diverse at all. Which was a red flag for me since the market the role is was very diverse.

Interview Questions

• Please tell us about a moment when a peer was going through a difficult situation whether at work or in his personal life and tell us what you did to help him/her and what the result was   Answer Question

Process Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southhaven, MS

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Southhaven, MS) in August 2013.

Interview

I had two panel type interviews on different visits. Then, I was asked to spend a 1/2 day with the houlry crew on the floor and yet another meeting to share my experience. Finally, I was asked to come back again to meet another operations manager who spent a lot of time talking about his experience at Grainger. The panel interviewers were professional and made me feel at home. The questions had to a lot to so with contributions you made in the past and how you handled difficult hourly employees.

Interview Questions

• What do you find different about managing people in this city?   1 Answer

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Salt Lake City, UT) in December 2012.

Interview

Recruiter, 1:1, 1:2, phone.

Interview Questions

Compensation isn't worth it.

Government Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rice, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Rice, TX) in May 2010.

Interview

I heard of this position from a current employee. The phone interview with HR was easy and I made it to the 2nd round which was a panel interview. Two hours and two groups of 3 panel interviewers. Study hard on situational questions like "Tell me about a time when a customer had a problem with your service or product. What was the situation, what did you say and what was the outcome?". You will have a lot of these questions from the interviewer, so, do some research.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time a customer had a problem with your product or service, what did you say, what was the outocme?   Answer Question
    • What are the job responsibilities you like the least at your current employer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Dallas, TX) in June 2009.

Interview

I started with a phone interview with a recruiter and everything went well. My next interview was with a District Sales Manager & Account Manager and everything went well. The next phase was a one on one interview with the same District Sales Manager and he spoke about how there was not a particular position available but he thought I would be a great fit for the position and he wanted to put me on their "Benchmark" program and basically thats when you wait for a position to open up which could be in 4-6 weeks or 4-6 months. In the meantime I was asked to meet with another District Sales Manager and it seems that the interview was going well until he asked if I knew anything about the company and I informed him that a friend used to work there and he didnt know the guy personally, but later I found out there was some association between my friend & a previous VP of Sales and so he assumed I was affiliated with the VP as well. After that meeting I was removed from the "Benchmark" program and was told that I am no longer in consideration for a position. Please make sure you play the game exactly the way they want you to because this is a company that do not base things off your qualifications but more so on who you know and how they can keep their good ole boy network sealed.

Corporate Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)).

Interview

Contacted by an outsourcing headhunter, month long process back aand forth with links to profile tests and sending documents, 2 local interviews, followup with corporate management interview. Phone interview with future district manager. traveled to corporate Headquarters in order to interview with project manager and national accounts management.

Interview Questions

• asked about my experience, background, goals and knowledge of local industries   1 Answer

Field Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

I was a referral so my process may have been different.

Initial phone screen, interview with hiring manager and another Grainger employee at the same time. Then 30 minute call with regional vp.

Overall very professional and one of the best interview processes I have gone through.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There isn't one. Base is set, but you really can out earn your base.

Inside Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (San Antonio, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Full of lies with saying we would get 4% of sales each month! Saying we would make tons of money and if we are ready to make money! Totally mislead and lied too and it's unfortunate as I wanted to retire with this company. Everything they mentioned with the benefits was accurate but the compensation was inaccurate

Interview Questions

• Are you ready to make a lot of money?   1 Answer