W.W. Grainger Interview Questions | Glassdoor

W.W. Grainger Interview Questions

Updated Jul 12, 2017

Field Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Fargo, ND) in July 2016.

Interview

Very complete. Several phone screens, then a live interview. During the first phone screen I think I saved myself at the end. The call seemed short and the interviewer was wrapping up and then I said something that caught his interest and we stayed on the phone for a lot longer which I think lead to the offer.

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Hayward, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Comprehensive interview with Direct Sales Manager and Operations/Warehouse Manager. Long term employees, asked encouraging and thoughtful questions. Went deep as appropriate, but fairly standard interview process. In depth drug test, quirky personality test.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you made a mistake at your workplace. How did you remedy it?   Answer Question

On Site Service Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Louisville, KY) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process started with a simple phone interview. After the phone interview was passed, I had an in person interview with the management team for my group of on site service representatives.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any previous experience in industrial sales/service?   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Very organized and thoughtful process. Met with many different people, which provided a good feeling for the culture.
    Process started with a phone interview and then progressed to on site interviews.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of helping an employee progress in their career.   Answer Question

DC Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minooka, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Minooka, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview process involves having a tour of the facility , then being told about the benefits packages and then brought to interviewed one by one. They also want you to remember a product from the catalog and do a quick presentation on it to the managers

Interview Questions

• Who do respond at work when your having a bad day?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Had a phone interview with HR followed by an in person interview with the hiring manager, another product manager, and cross functional team member. It was a fairly smooth process.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

Rude and uninterested. That was the managers demeanor. I had 5 different recruiters call me for this job and was not offered a position. As I was leaving the interview I had another recruiter call me. Total waist of time. It was as quiet as a library. No coomradery 1984 ish atmosphere. Don't even bother. The job was to call former customers and bring them back.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had an upset caller and how was it resolved?   1 Answer

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was phoned the same day by a company recruiter for a short interview. Was emailed for a second telephonic interview to test my technical knowledge which I aced according to the interviewer. I was then scheduled for a 3rd and final interview for which I had to travel to Chicago to meet with 2 manager which asked me the usual HR questions. This interview lasted about a hour.

Everyone was very professional and friendly and I had a great experience. I emailed the recruiter, Kay, about a week later to follow up on when a decision will be made etc etc. No response. I waited another week and send a short email following up. No response, not even an automated response that my application was unsuccessful.

Not every job is a perfect fit and not every application is successful, I accept that. I do however appreciate it when a company extends me the courtesy of informing me that my application has been unsuccessful, especially if I had more than one interview and had to travel out of state to attend an interview. I almost lost another job as a result of holding out for the position at Grainger. Very unprofessional conduct from their recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Describe when you made a decision that was very unpopular with the rest of your team.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you let your team down and how you rectified the situation.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Lake Forest, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process went quickly. I applied and within three days someone called me. I received an offer within two weeks of my initial application. After the offer; however, I wanted to discuss the salary, because I did not see that it matched my skill level. The recruiter was short and vague and made it sound like a take it or leave it. Unfortunately, I was not in a position to turn down a job offer at the time, so I reluctantly took it without any sort of increase on Grainger's end. They made it clear I was to start two weeks after the offer, but after I accepted, she called me back and told me I wasn't going to start for 7 WEEKS. A week before I was supposed to start (the pushed back date) I got another called and they pushed it back yet another week. How disappointing! Grainger needs to be clear UP FRONT on their start dates - I have to feed my kids! The recruiter was 100% non-negotiable with the salary, and then on top of that I started almost two months after I was supposed to. It was a very poor start to my job with the company, but like I said earlier, I was not in a position to turn down a job. Unfortunately they tied my hands for me and I felt pretty cheated. I found out very quickly that in corporate America, you are tossed around like a poker chip.

Interview Questions

• What was a difficult situation you faced at your previous position?   Answer Question

Technical Product Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Waterloo, IA) in May 2014.

Interview

When I got interviewed, none of the interveiwer's had any idea on what questions to ask. They are currently promoting CSA's into tech positions because "they know how to talk to the customers", not that they have any real world knowledge of the products that they are talking about. Smoke and mirrors my friends.

Interview Questions

• What are raw materials? The two managers looked at each others and started laughing...they didn't know!!   Answer Question