W.W. Grainger Interview Questions | Glassdoor

W.W. Grainger Interview Questions

Updated Jul 12, 2017

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Janesville, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Janesville, WI).

Interview

You get a phone interview and they ask basic questions like availability, tell me about yourself, why do you want to work here, etc. If you like you and you have good phone skills you get a call about an in person interview. This was average difficulty and involved generic interview questions that most employers use which can be found online.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had an upset customer and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you offered leadership skills in a situation.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

I was asked to interview after applying through my university. I was working full-time and also in school twice a week for a Master's in HR Management.
    But I was intrigued by their internship because they had some new skills I wanted to gain, plus it was a company that I was interest in after learning more about them.

However, instead of contacting me to ask what best time and date would work for me, I got an email instead that had a spreadsheet of a one day window with specific times. This was sent to me two days before the their scheduled interviews, I had a midterm and work for all those times. Most companies don't do this and expect you to drop everything with a two day notice.
    I sent them an email letting them know that I would not be able to make any of their times.
    Instead of trying to reschedule or apologizing for their inconsideration, I was sent an email later telling me that they thought I was basically not a right fit and they would look at other applicants. I feel like I dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions

• Below are the interview slots available – please indicate your top 3 preferred interview time selections for tomorrow!   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

Received an email to schedule time to talk to a recruiter. Called recruiter at time agreed to and recruiter did not answer the phone. When I got the recruiter on the phone I felt like I was being yelled at. The recruiter was clearly rushed and seemed annoyed that they had to talk to me. Never set the stage for the call as any experienced recruiter that knows how to sell the company and opportunity would. Asked me some basic questions but had no clear direction for the call. Asked me if I had any questions after about 10 minutes. Clearly they had no interest in talking with me so I excused myself from the call.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions, again do you have any questions...." ok thanks good bye"   Answer Question

Fied Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (New York, NY).

Interview

phone interview will lead to in person interview . 5 star process is what they are hoping you use to answer their questions. why should I hire you?

Interview Questions

• you asked to provided examples of time when you had a challenge ,that you would often experience in this position and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview then in person. Phone interview was about 30 minutes long. In person interview was more personal.

Field Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

I was a referral so my process may have been different.

Initial phone screen, interview with hiring manager and another Grainger employee at the same time. Then 30 minute call with regional vp.

Overall very professional and one of the best interview processes I have gone through.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There isn't one. Base is set, but you really can out earn your base.

Field Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Dallas, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, two f2f interviews. The first face to face interview was with one of the District Managers, for a position on his team. The second interview was a panel interview, with another District Mgr and two individuals on the team. I believe that the second interview was a waste of time. I did not hear from the company for 1 month, and then I received an email stating that I didn't get the first position, and I never received anything, about the second position.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (New York, NY).

Interview

Recruiter contacted me within couple of days and had and easy phone interview. Went in for an in person with 2 groups of 2 managers. Every manager was nice and easy to talk to. Mostly behavioral questions. It took them a while to finally hire me. 2 months total from applying to first day at work. I didn't get the ops job but they liked me enough to offer a sales associate position.

On Site Service Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Honolulu, HI).

Interview

The premise behind behavioral interviewing is that the most accurate predictor of future performance is past performance in similar situations. Behavioral interviewing, in fact, is said to be 55 percent predictive of future on-the-job behavior, while traditional interviewing is only 10 percent predictive.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me a time when you....
      "And how did you handle this situation?"
      "So, what was then end result of your actions that you took?'   1 Answer

Supply Chain Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

They asked all behavioral questions, but the interview was meant to be more of a conversation. This helped them get to know me better and I got to know them better. The first round was a general interview on campus. The second round interview was at their location in Lake Forest. There were 3 rounds of interviews (behavioral, behavioral, and a case study). Then we toured the facility.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Grainger? Tell me about your resume.   Answer Question