W.W. Grainger Interview Questions | Glassdoor

W.W. Grainger Interview Questions

Updated Aug 15, 2017

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview then in person. Phone interview was about 30 minutes long. In person interview was more personal.

Field Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

I was a referral so my process may have been different.

Initial phone screen, interview with hiring manager and another Grainger employee at the same time. Then 30 minute call with regional vp.

Overall very professional and one of the best interview processes I have gone through.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There isn't one. Base is set, but you really can out earn your base.

Field Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Dallas, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, two f2f interviews. The first face to face interview was with one of the District Managers, for a position on his team. The second interview was a panel interview, with another District Mgr and two individuals on the team. I believe that the second interview was a waste of time. I did not hear from the company for 1 month, and then I received an email stating that I didn't get the first position, and I never received anything, about the second position.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (New York, NY).

Interview

Recruiter contacted me within couple of days and had and easy phone interview. Went in for an in person with 2 groups of 2 managers. Every manager was nice and easy to talk to. Mostly behavioral questions. It took them a while to finally hire me. 2 months total from applying to first day at work. I didn't get the ops job but they liked me enough to offer a sales associate position.

On Site Service Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Honolulu, HI).

Interview

The premise behind behavioral interviewing is that the most accurate predictor of future performance is past performance in similar situations. Behavioral interviewing, in fact, is said to be 55 percent predictive of future on-the-job behavior, while traditional interviewing is only 10 percent predictive.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me a time when you....
      "And how did you handle this situation?"
      "So, what was then end result of your actions that you took?'   1 Answer

Supply Chain Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

They asked all behavioral questions, but the interview was meant to be more of a conversation. This helped them get to know me better and I got to know them better. The first round was a general interview on campus. The second round interview was at their location in Lake Forest. There were 3 rounds of interviews (behavioral, behavioral, and a case study). Then we toured the facility.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Grainger? Tell me about your resume.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Lake Forest, IL).

Interview

Internview on campus and then flown to Lake Forest for in person interview. The in person interview was pretty difficult, there was 3 interviews and also a case study. Case study was very easy.

Interview Questions

• How many boxes will fit in this room?   1 Answer

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Bloomington, IN) in October 2016.

Interview

Prenight dinner for all candidates at a local college bar. First round interview involved 2 recruiters speaking with me for 30 minutes about basic resume points and behavioral questions. I was not invited back for a second rounder in the suburbs of Chicago.

Interview Questions

• Q: Think of a time when you had to make a quick decision.   Answer Question

Supply Chain Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Lake Forest, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

First round interview was 30 minutes and was an on-campus interview. Pretty straight-forward behavioral questions. Asked further questions about my different experiences and how I handled certain situations. Second-round interview was at their Lake Forest office. Consisted of a pre-night dinner and then three interviews the following day (two behavioral and one case interview). Overall very friendly people.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through my school's career website. I had my first interview on campus and Grainger flew me into Chicago for my second one. Everyone was super friendly and they asked behavioral questions for both of them.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when something didn't go your way and what were the results?   Answer Question
    • What is a class you found yourself having difficulties with?   1 Answer
    • Why Grainger?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated my offer acceptance time. They were very understanding and agreed to my extension. They have great benefits! They pay their interns very well and provide housing and food!