W.W. Grainger Interview Questions | Glassdoor

W.W. Grainger Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2017

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

5 total interviews:
    1. Phone interview with recruiter
    2. On-Site interview with district manager and national account manager - STAR questions - Recruiter sent me prep material before interview
    3. Phone interview w/ district manager from separate business unit - STAR questions
    4. In-Person informal interview with district manager
    5. Phone interview with regional VP - STAR questions

Interview Questions

• Describe the sales accomplishments on your resume, your process to achieve the accomplishments, and your specific role.   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Green Bay, WI) in July 2016.

Interview

Interview went very smooth. HR staff was very friendly and made me feel at ease. After I left made me very interested in working for the Company.

District Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Raleigh, NC) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received a voicemail from an internal recruiter. I spoke to a woman who essentially tried to talk me out of the job because she thought the money would not be close to where I was. I respected her point of view and she told me she would send me a detailed form that she has made for candidates and if I was still interested I should get that back to her within 24hrs.

My focus was on the long term. I saw it as a great opportunity and took the time to complete her questions in a detailed manner and got them back to her within 24 hrs. I received an email in the next few days from another recruiter asking if I had time to talk. Apparently the woman went on PTO for the week and he was in charge. We had a brief discussion and he informed me that an internal candidate had the inside track on the job, but that I should expect to hear something soon about next steps. I followed up with no response from them. Ultimately I received a form email saying that I was no longer in the running for the position.

Extremely frustrating given the recruiter knew this all along. However, she chose to still have me take the time to fill out a form with detailed history on my part and then did not have the courtesy to call or email me personally.

Interview Questions

• Just went over my background and how my skills were transferable to Grainger and MRO as well as cultural fit.   Answer Question

On Site Service Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Louisville, KY) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process started with a simple phone interview. After the phone interview was passed, I had an in person interview with the management team for my group of on site service representatives.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any previous experience in industrial sales/service?   1 Answer

Field Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Fargo, ND) in July 2016.

Interview

Very complete. Several phone screens, then a live interview. During the first phone screen I think I saved myself at the end. The call seemed short and the interviewer was wrapping up and then I said something that caught his interest and we stayed on the phone for a lot longer which I think lead to the offer.

Shoemobile Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clovis, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Clovis, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online on 5/26/16 and attached my resume. Was contacted and interviewed by a recruiter on 5/27. It took about an hour. On 5/31 they called back to schedule a phone interview for 6/1 with the director of operations. We talked for about 45 minutes, and he said I would hear back in a few days. Today 6/3 I was offered the position and fly to Columbus, Ohio on the 20th of June.

Interview Questions

• My experience driving commercial vehicles. Sales experience. 2 questions about a positive customer experience. 1 question about a negative experience that I turned into positive. Questions about prior employers. With the director it was very casual with him describing the job and the requirements and pay structure. We only discussed my 2 previous employers.   1 Answer

Parts Puller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Twinsburg, OH

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Twinsburg, OH) in June 2016.

Interview

COME IN, TAKE A 20 MINUTE TOUR, INTERVIEW WITH ONE PERSON FOR 20 MINUTES, THEN INTERVIEW WITH SOMEONE ELSE FOR 20 MINUTES.....it's seemed to go well, but you know how that is.......you think something went well and then you get the e-mail saying they went with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to do something that wasn't in your job description?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever made a mistake?   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Waterloo, IA) in June 2016.

Interview

2-3 interviews, starting with recruiter and basic qualification questions. Move onto to hiring managers or panel interviews, with behavior based questions. Expectation is to answer in STAR format.
    Situation-Task-Actions taken-Results. High importance on the RESULTS.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you have gone the extra mile to provide great service to your customer.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a situation in which you were able to create a win-win solution for you and a customer? Describe the interaction and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you cooperated with someone outside of your team/group/department in an activity that benefited both teams. What was your role?   Answer Question
    • What skills or qualities contribute to building productive relationships with internal/external customers? Give me an example of a time when you used these skills or qualities with a specific customer.   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Columbus, OH) in June 2016.

Interview

Interviewed by area sales manager -- some role-play involved as he sought to detrmine how I would interact with customers. All in all quite comfortable. Would be a great person to report to, and a decent company to represent.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how I would address a specific need for a customer looking for a replacement motor for an industrial application I'm not familiar with.   1 Answer

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Lake Forest, IL).

Interview

Email contact first, then telephone interview. The interviewer made an immediate judgment regarding willingness to travel without asking my thoughts and explaining what it would include. The conversation abruptly ended. Sadly, I was not impressed, and as I had heard solid reviews of Grainger, it was a disappointing experience that I hope was only reflective of this one recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. What do you know about Grainger?   Answer Question