W.W. Grainger Territory Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Territory Sales Representative

W.W. Grainger Territory Sales Representative Interview Questions

Interviews at W.W. Grainger

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Fort Worth, TX) in May 2010.

Interview

I was telephoned by a recruiter who "saw my resume online" The phone interview was 5 minutes or less, and the person was unable to answer basic questions regarding products, sales goals, current structure, or even the status of parking near the interview site. She sounded early twenties, and very unprofessional. The interview was scheduled for the following week. After driving 2 hours in rush hour traffic and very turbulent weather I found the hotel downtown Ft. Worth, and arrived ten minutes early. The meeting room was equipped with a projector, elegant appointments, and notepads, which were never touched. I was greeted by 2 arrogant men in mid thirties, who were not interested in conducting an interview, or sharing any information about this company called Grainger. One of the two did all of the talking, stating that the company planned to add approximately 15 people to their current team. The new sales force was expected to make 20 to 30 presentations a day to small or medium businesses "only mom and pop stores" The company will provide company cars "that you can take home", and pay a mileage rate. These details are the extent of what was shared. When I questioned them about the corporate accounts, or bring new industry in as clients, I was told that the company handled that internally with a "different team". These two fellows were sadly inept, unpleasant, with extremely poor social skills. They admitted to interviewing "hundreds", while looking at me as though I were a grain in the sand. The interview lasted precisely 4 minutes and 35 seconds. They apparently had a quota of persons to interview that needed to be logged in, and documented on company time. It almost seemed like they were inconvenienced by being asked to perform this function, and planned to close up early to go out for their company paid steak dinners.

Interview Questions

• The lack of questions were the most surprising aspect of this interview   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for W.W. Grainger

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Champaign, IL) in February 2011.

Interview

I applied online then about week or two later I received a phone call to set up an interview. The interview consisted of two men sitting at table asking me the normal questions. They seemed kind of cocky and made fun of my work history.

Interview Questions

I was unable to take the offer due to them wanting me to start right away when I still had finish my degree

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winston-Salem, NC

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Winston-Salem, NC) in December 2011.

Interview

I was contacted via phone by an HR rep who was very nice and said she saw my resume online. She asked me a few basic questions regarding my experience and told me I would be contacted soon. A few days later I was emailed and asked to list some times in which I would be available for a phone interview. I was contacted 25 minutes late by a gentleman who sounded disinterested and like he was eating a bag of fritos. I was asked basically the same questions and told a little bit more about the company.
       Next was an 1:1 scheduled 2 hrs away. I got there 15 minutes early and was treated like I was a disease by the office staff. The hiring manager came to get me about 20 min late offering no apology for her tardiness. She asked me a series of behavioral questions, which I was prepared for. But she was very aggressive and seemed to be looking for any reason not to hire me. Not a very good experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were faced with a challenge and how did it make you feel?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Asheville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Asheville, NC) in February 2012.

Interview

The interview process was very thourough. The interviewer was well versed regarding the requirements for the position. The staff was very friendly and helpful while waiting to be escorted to the meeting.

If interviewing with the company it is important to be familiar with information about the company.

Interview Questions

• What is one area regarding your personality or work-related skills that co-workers feel you need to improve?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL) in January 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by a 'Senior Recruiting Official' out of Tennessee who left me a message stating she would like to set up a time to speak with me about the position. I called her back like 3 minutes later and left a message stating that anytime after 12:00PM would work well for me. I never heard back so around 2PM Eastern Time I called her and we agreed to have the 'interview' right then. She described the position as 'walking door to door to sell products to mom and pop mfg shops' and told me the starting pay was $27,000 - non-negotiable. She also told me specificially how many paid days off there are (21 including holidays) which I found a bit odd but my guess is she was trying to justify the extremely low pay. After dicussing the position and its benefits she asked me why I applied and why I think I would make a good fit. When I initially started to answer 'why I applied to Grainger' she told me to stop because she couldn't understand what I was saying so I started over and tried to be more specific. I was very surprised when she told me she didn't understand what I was saying because I was being quite clear and have told a similar story in many job interviews w/o being told that.

After reading a bunch of these reviews I began to notice a pattern of people voicing their displeasure with the poor management of Grainger as well as an abundance of long-term employees (my interviewer included) whose skills are no longer relevant in today's economy. Basically it sounds like Grainger is on the way out and I personally won't dont' care to be part of it.

I was not told when the 'hiring manager' would get back to me by but suffice to say that I have no interest in working for this poorly run company.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a good fit for this position (Territory Sales Rep)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Salt Lake City, UT) in December 2012.

Interview

Recruiter, 1:1, 1:2, phone.

Interview Questions

Compensation isn't worth it.

Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Lake Forest, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

Was referred by employee, submitted application online - got phone call to talk about position, set up phone interview which led to 1:1 interview. If 1:1 interview went smoothly and eventually ended up talking to 4 different people, 2-3 in the room at 1 time. One of them will be your manager.

Interview Questions

• The end of the interview:
      Please sell me this item (random object in the room - pencil etc...)   1 Answer

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

contacted by recruiter, initial phone screen, 1st phone interview, 2nd interview with hiring manager, 3rd phone interview with territory details and job offer

Interview Questions

• "Please try selling this iphone to me" - they want to see your selling skills when put on the spot   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much negotiation - maybe a little over your territory if its a new team they're hiring but zip codes are set

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Macon, GA) in March 2013.

Interview

I received a phone call about 4 days after applying online to schedule a telephone interview the next day. She clarified some details about the position. 20% inside/80% outside with a base salary of $31,000. Expected commission for first year would be approximately $16,000. Company branded car with gas allowance. First three months training at distribution center.

Interview Questions

• Typical sales related questions like "Tell me about a big success that you have had in your sales career." "Tell me about a failure and what you could have done differently." I am an older worker who was recently laid off during a massive company reorganization. The last question was what year did you receive your bacheolor's degree? Then I was told that all my answers would be forwarded to hiring managers and that if I was chosen to move forward, that I would hear back within two days. Needless to say, I have never heard back. I expect that they are looking for younger sales representatives.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Santa Clara, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

Interview took place in a hotel in a small boardroom by two managers from the district. First question they asked is "Tell me in your own words about the job description?" "If there is a list of the top 500 sales in the country, where do you see yourself?" "How would you solve a complex problem?" 'What do you like about working in sales?"

Interview Questions

• "Out of the list of 500 reps in the country, where do you see yourself in the ranking?" "What if you're in the bottom 20%?   Answer Question