W.W. Grainger Territory Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

W.W. Grainger Territory Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jul 5, 2017

60 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

STAR style questioning. (Situation, Task, Action you took, Results you achieved)
Multiple people that interview you.
First with recruiter on phone -- casual conversation to get to know you as well as some run-of-the mill interview questions. If you pass then an in person meeting is set up, usually with 2 or more people.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had a failure. What happened? why? how did you fix it? what did you learn from it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for W.W. Grainger

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaumont, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Beaumont, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter over the phone and she explained the roles of the position and salary and such. Asked me if I was interested in what the job description entailed. So we scheduled a phone interview about a few days later. Basically, went like any other interview. History and background questions and then the star format of questions. I have no other experience in sales so those questions proved to be difficult.

Interview Questions

• When was a time that you failed at something and what was your reaction and result?   1 Answer

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

Messaged by recruiter and asked if interested in a career with them. I accepted to learn more about the company and had a talk with a recruiter who called me and scheduled another call with me. After that I talked with her than she referred me to an 1 on 1 interview somewhere else and after that I had to speak to someone else and do the same exact thing again luckily the last call after that I spoke to someone higher up and it went smoother. Later that day I was offered the position and accepted but than I was expected to fill out so much paperwork immediately at such a short notice. The letter states 24 hours to fill everything out which is overwhelming.. I am not sure how I feel about this process anymore it seems like they want me to work for them but I need some time to exit out my other things and handle other personal matters. Very nice people but not everyone can complete the tasks required at such a short notice.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Just another sales job.

Territory Sale Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Philadelphia, PA) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online through an employee referral link. That was followed by a phone screen. After that I met with my manager as well as another team's manager at the same time. That was followed by two additional phone interviews with the district manager and yet another territory manager.

Apply online, phone interview, face to face interview, two more phone interviews.

Interview Questions

• Lots of behavioral questions. Situation, action, result format. "Can you tell me about a time when you...? What action steps did you take? What was the result?"
      Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Lincolnshire, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process proceeded quickly. First, I met a recruiter at a local job fair. I got an email within 1 week asking if I had time for a phone interview with her. Later that day, I found out I made it to the next round and was asked to schedule an in-person interview within 3 days. The in-person interview was with two potential sales managers. The questions followed the STAR format, just like the phone interview. However, both managers were very personable and the interview became more of a natural conversation at times. The very next day I was told the Director of Sales wanted to speak with me over the phone. There were a couple more STAR format questions, but mainly she wanted to know why Grainger, why a sales career and different work experiences I had had. I was offered the job later that day.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you won? Why Grainger? Why sales? How would you go about keeping a customer who is part of the oil business in West Texas?   Answer Question

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger in August 2015.

Interview

Step 1: Screening Interview on phone. They asked questions about my background etc.
    Step 2: Follow up screening call to schedule a face to face interview
    Step 3: Face to Face Interview...Two separate meetings with two people in each meeting. They asked both situational questions and general questions about what I was looking for in a job.

Overall, the people were pleasant and respectful. However, I did have a somewhat uncomfortable exchange at one point. I was being interviewed by the hiring manager and one of his female sales reps. I asked the rep "what makes a Grainger sales rep successful in this role?". She paused and said, "Well first off, I call mostly on men so when you look like this (she motioned to her blonde hair, face and body), it certainly helps." Her boss chuckled as she laughed...she clearly thought very highly of herself. I found this very unprofessional. I lost interest after that and never followed up with the hiring manager after the meeting. I found out that they ended up hiring a female for the job (surprise surprise!).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you did not meet your quota attainment goals? What happened and why?   Answer Question

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger in June 2015.

Interview

Laid back and very comfortable they made me feel very at ease and when I started go off base a little tr interviewer politely got me back on track to stay to the module STAR if you are great at star interviews you will nail this one. I passed round 1 and my in person interview is in one week. So I'm still in the hiring process!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you could have done better at your job and what steps did you take to change it?/get better?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Greensboro, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

Standard Interview process using the STAR (Situation, Task/ Action, Results) method they have posted on their website. Questions are drawn from your results of the personality test issued by HR. Preparation is a must. I utilized the sample questions from other reviews on glassdoor and prepared answers for them. It also helps to know about the company and their policies/initiatives going into the interview.

Interview Questions

• Did you ever sell something to someone that they did not have a need for?
      Tell me about a time you overcame a "no".
      What is one of your biggest failures?
      Describe yourself in three words.   Answer Question

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online, the was contacted by recruiter to schedule phone interview. Recruiter asked STAR questions and then asked me to take an online personality test. Called the next day to set up face to face interview with territory sales manager. This interview was also in STAR format. Manager called me that day to set up a phone interview with his counterpart in a different region. After that interview, the recruiter called to set up another interview with the director of territory sales. Scheduled for that interview tomorrow.

Interview Questions

• What is an obstacle you have faced in your life and how did you overcome it?

Have you ever had to turn a "no" into a "yes"   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied on-line and received a call with in 4 days. We set a time for our initial phone interview, which went very well. Later that day I received a call and we scheduled a second, more in depth phone interview. The whole process was very smooth and very professional. Everyone was exceedingly friendly. They use the S.T.A.R. interview process. You better have done a lot of research on the company, as I was asked several questions. The questions asked during the interview are average IF you know yourself and have interviewed before.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were successful handling a serious customer issue.   Answer Question