W.W. Norton Editorial Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

W.W. Norton Editorial Assistant Interview Questions

Interviews at W.W. Norton

2.8

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Cover letter/resume & interview with the whole team I was applying to be part of (in my case, 3 people). It's a simple and straight forward interview! They seemed mostly interested in me as a person, rather than just my skills do this job.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about why I was interested in college publishing as opposed to trade publishing.   1 Answer
  • I was asked about my experience with the subject material--though I was also told that isn't important.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for W.W. Norton

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY).

Interview

Very straightforward interview questions - straight from an H&R handbook. Different people across different interviews. All quite nice but aloof. The lobby is weird and small. Seemed like an excellent place to work. Everyone has an office, across two floors. Wish I had got the position, Norton has a lot of quality titles I would have been delighted to work with, trade and academic.

Interview Questions

• What question would you like to re-do?   1 Answer

Editorial Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at W.W. Norton.

Interview

Met with three people--the Assistant Editor who I would be reporting to directly; the Managing Editor for the department; and a Senior Editor who managed our department and others. It lasted a total of 1.5 hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

Everyone was kind and the interview process was average. I spoke with three people in three separate interviews. I did not hear back about the position until three weeks later, which I believe is slower than usual in the publishing industry.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

I had applied to a role on the digital team several months earlier and they went with another candidate, but the woman I spoke with about that position referred me for this one. No phone screen (maybe because I'd already been screened); started with the skills test, which was fairly easy (aggregate comments from reviewers on a chapter and write a letter to the author summarizing the changes). A few days later, got called in for onsite, which was 3 30-min interviewers with the person who currently held the position and two senior editors.

One huge problem: one of the interviewers did not make eye contact with me at all and stared at my chest the entire time. I still feel gross when I think of it a year later. Overall, the team was awkward and the conversations stilted. I got some weird questions, like "what do you want your workspace to be like."

Interview Questions

• How have you dealt with difficult people in your last position?   Answer Question