W.W. Norton Interview Questions | Glassdoor

W.W. Norton Interview Questions

Interviews at W.W. Norton

2.9

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at W.W. Norton.

Interview

Got an email back after applying through my university, phone interview then scheduled an in-person interview. Heard back a few weeks later. Pretty easy process! Interview questions are usually unique to the person interviewing you/your manager.

Interview Questions

• What about your previous experience would help you for this internship, do you have any previous experience, why W.W. Norton, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied in November and got a email three weeks later. I had a 10 min phone interview with the the marketing assoicate. She was nice and even complimented that my resume and background was strong. She sounded friendly and nice so I was not nervous.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your strengths and weaknesses.   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

Approx one week process. About a fifteen to twenty minute phone interview, then called for an on-site interview, where I spoke to 2 marketing assistants. Friendly, nice group and definitely seemed like a great place to work and develop skills.

Junior Graphic Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at W.W. Norton.

Interview

A very pleasant phone interview. Asked the basics, went over my resume, talked about the industry. Planned the interview the day of me receiving an email from the company about there interest in me. They called on time with out a moment to spare.

Junior Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in June 2018.

Interview

It was a 40 minute phone call with one of the team members. All in all it was a pleasant conversation and the person was easy to talk to. Unfortunately they decided to move onto someone else, but in the rejection email the person mentioned a detail from the phone call, which was nice.

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY).

Interview

I first had a phone interview, then they brought me in for an inperson interview. I got to meet the COO as well and chat about what the job would entail.

Interview Questions

• Would you rather a position where the work load is steady or one where there are peaks and valleys? Why?   Answer Question
    • Would you prefer a boss who left you on your own and only contacted you when there were issues or a boss who was constantly in contact with you?   Answer Question

Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Norton in January 2016.

Interview

the process was smooth and simple. but it took them a long time to get back to me to tell me I didn't get the job. But they were very professional and polite.

Project Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied by sending an email to human resources, per the job advertisement. I was contacted by the hiring manager about a month later, who scheduled an interview. I was interviewed by the hiring manager, the vp, and two people who would be coworkers. I spent three hours interviewing there and felt that things were very positive. After the interview, I sent a "thank you" note to the managers who interviewed me. They didn't respond.

However, a week later one of them wrote and asked me to bear with them as they finished interviewing people and that it would take a little while to hear back. I waited another month and there was no further indication of their decision. I followed up by email and asked about the status, but they never responded again.

I know there are no definite outcomes when interviewing, but I was 100 percent qualified for the job and they definitely made it seem like I would hear back one way or the other. Today, I noticed the job is no longer listed online, so I'm guessing it has been filled.

Overall, a very odd experience due to the total lack of communication after interviewing, and the fact that I was never in touch with human resources during the process.

Interview Questions

• They asked if I would be okay coordinating lots of projects and acting as a developmental editor more than a project editor most of them time. They said it was a job where I'd be "herding kittens."   1 Answer

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

They first called for a brief phone interview, then I was offered to come in for an interview. The process went smooth, but I didn't realize the interview would be several hours long. I was interviewed by at least 4 different people which made it a very lengthy and repetitive interview. I was given a design test to complete, but even after following up, I never heard a word back.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty standard. Why are you leaving your current job? Tell us about what your current position? Reviewed my portfolio, etc. There wasn't anything unexpected.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in July 2012.

Interview

The process was exceedingly long and if I wasn't in need of a job I would have dropped out. 14 interviews in a combination of phone and in-person. Took nearly four months to get an offer and that completely compromised my planning for the sales year and caused me to have to target on the fly.

Interview Questions

• the interviews were more like conversations and I didn't really remember any gotcha and toughj questions. They are very protective of fittihng into the culture there and that's not a bad thing. My manager wasn't up front with the bonus plan and how it relates to rookie reps. I would not have accepted the offer if I knew that rookies were on a different bonus plan.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They were a bit under pressure to fill the position and I wasn't in a position to play hardball so I'm not sure if I can comment for the way the negotiations are normally handled.