W.W. Norton Interview Questions | Glassdoor

W.W. Norton Interview Questions

Interviews at W.W. Norton

2.9

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY).

Interview

Fairly intense. Lots of questions with 10+ interviewers for the day. A lot of repeating of questions to make sure we were saying the same answers over and over again. The actual day of interviewing was long, but the process from start to finish (submission of resume to job offer) was only about 10 days, so I felt that was pretty quick.

Interview Questions

• One interviewer in particular completely turned what I said on its head and misspoke what I was saying, so the follow up questions were totally unrelated to what we had just talked about. I think it was a tactic to throw me off and see how I reacted. It happens on the job, so it's an important skill.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It didn't exist. I was given a salary and told "this is as high as I can go due to XYZ factors." It was disappointing, since I took a significant pay cut to work at the company.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

It's an intense interview process that involves approx. 10 interviews total (some on the phone, some in person). I respected the fact that they devoted so much time and energy to each prospect. They clearly want to hire employees whose goals align with the company's, and they care both about your experience/background and ability to fit in, and work well with, the other sales reps, marketers, editors, etc.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to go into sales? Especially since you haven't done it before...   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (Jacksonville, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

I was quite impressed with the interview process. The regional sales manager was quick to respond to any of my questions and very personable. After completing the norton candidate profile, I was contacted almost immediately to set up a phone interview. Within a week we had an in person interview. I was impressed with the questions asked and just how interested the regionals manager was in my thoughts about the job position.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about being called a sales representative?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at W.W. Norton.

Interview

Had 3 phone interviews with person hiring for position and 2 senior level employees. Phone conversations were generally positive and fairly in-depth. Each interviewer had different methodology when asking such as Q&A, discussion, and conversational. I was able to articulate my strengths and experience while also asking some questions about company culture. Interviewers expressing varying levels of interest in me as a candidate.

Interview Questions

• If you could meet any historical figure dead or alive, who would it be and why?
      Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

This was a long, intense series of interviews, by phone and in person (at W.W. Norton's New York headquarters), for a regional sales representative position. I was not offered the position in the region I applied for and was not willing to consider moving to a different state.

Interview Questions

• If you were to accept this position, how would you describe your job in 1-2 sentences?   Answer Question

Editorial Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Norton.

Interview

I submitted my resume and cover letter via email, and a project editor contacted me six days later. I completed a proofreading test, and then a phone interview with two project managers in my internship field.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Cover letter/resume & interview with the whole team I was applying to be part of (in my case, 3 people). It's a simple and straight forward interview! They seemed mostly interested in me as a person, rather than just my skills do this job.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about why I was interested in college publishing as opposed to trade publishing.   1 Answer
    • I was asked about my experience with the subject material--though I was also told that isn't important.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY).

Interview

Very straightforward interview questions - straight from an H&R handbook. Different people across different interviews. All quite nice but aloof. The lobby is weird and small. Seemed like an excellent place to work. Everyone has an office, across two floors. Wish I had got the position, Norton has a lot of quality titles I would have been delighted to work with, trade and academic.

Interview Questions

• What question would you like to re-do?   1 Answer

Editorial Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at W.W. Norton.

Interview

Met with three people--the Assistant Editor who I would be reporting to directly; the Managing Editor for the department; and a Senior Editor who managed our department and others. It lasted a total of 1.5 hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

Everyone was kind and the interview process was average. I spoke with three people in three separate interviews. I did not hear back about the position until three weeks later, which I believe is slower than usual in the publishing industry.