W.W. Norton Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at W.W. Norton

2.9

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

I had applied to a role on the digital team several months earlier and they went with another candidate, but the woman I spoke with about that position referred me for this one. No phone screen (maybe because I'd already been screened); started with the skills test, which was fairly easy (aggregate comments from reviewers on a chapter and write a letter to the author summarizing the changes). A few days later, got called in for onsite, which was 3 30-min interviewers with the person who currently held the position and two senior editors.

One huge problem: one of the interviewers did not make eye contact with me at all and stared at my chest the entire time. I still feel gross when I think of it a year later. Overall, the team was awkward and the conversations stilted. I got some weird questions, like "what do you want your workspace to be like."

Interview Questions

• How have you dealt with difficult people in your last position?   Answer Question

Editorial Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Norton in December 2013.

Interview

Applied for position through email. No phone interview, only an in-person interview with the editorial assistant and assistant editor. Very informal. Whole process lasted almost an hour.

Interview Questions

• Give an example when you had multiple projects to work on and how did you handle them.   1 Answer

Editorial Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY).

Interview

Submitted an application via email consisting of a resume and cover letter to the editorial department of the company, to which an Assistant Editor responded within a week or so. The interview was scheduled fairly quickly, and consisted of a very relaxed and informal dialogue between myself and two Assistant Editors. The interview lasted less than an hour, and was probably the least difficult interview I ever experienced (though this may be due to the fact that I was interviewing for the lowest of low-level positions). Basically, they want to get a feel for your personality and your interest in the industry, to decide whether or not you will mesh well with the company. The one annoyance in the process was that it took exactly one month for the company to respond to me after the interview.

Editorial Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in October 2009.

Interview

I applied to the internship via Norton's official website, received an email the next morning, and arranged for an interview the week after. The interview was very relaxed. You just need to provide solid reasons for wanting to be part of the publishing industry, and demonstrate some general knowledge of the industry. Be sure to bring some of your own questions as well.

Digital Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

It took a day. I applied, got called in for an interview but didn't receive an offer for the spring. I was told later that I could intern in the summer.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to go over my resume and discuss why I had an interest in Norton.   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Norton in June 2018.

Interview

Was contacted about a month after applying online. Phone screen with one of the team members. It was about 40min and was a friendly conversation overall. While I didn't get a callback, the rejection email was a personalized one and mentioned certain highlights about our phone call.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Norton.

Interview

1. Phone interview with possible manager
    2. Phone interview with 2-3 other mangers with the company
    3. In person interview with possible manager
    4. Fly in to NYC for a full day of interviews (6-9 people)

It is a very long process, but it fits with the job very well. Since each person has their own interview style, it doesn't feel like you are doing the same thing over and over again.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you've disagreed with a manager or company policy. What did you do?   Answer Question

Marketing Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at W.W. Norton.

Interview

The whole process took about a week. I was contacted for a phone interview and did a series of in-person interviews a few days later. Everyone was very friendly and informative.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to work at W. W. Norton, how did my background experience lend itself to the role, etc.   Answer Question

Design Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY).

Interview

phone screening, in person interview with dept. head and potential supervisor. Followed by email and phone correspondence in the subsequent week. Truly loved the company and was upset that I had to decline the offer due to personal matters. Norton is going places;)

Interview Questions

• typical questions: mostly explaining portions of my resume and asking me if I had any questions. Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Traveler Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at W.W. Norton (New York, NY) in December 2011.

Interview

Very competitive and lengthy interview process. Numerous phone interviews, and a written assignment before the offer of an in person interview in the New York office. The interview in the office is a full day event - eight 30 min interviews, and usually a lunch as well. It is all well worth it though!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Starting salary is negotiable, but I didn't know this at the time, and was just happy to be offered a job with a salary and benefits!