Wachovia Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2017

2.9

Financial Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wachovia (Paramus, NJ) in January 2008.

Interview

First got an e-mail, then phone interview & call-back for appointment for first interview.
    First interview consisted of questionaire being filled out independently under the watch of HR rep, the initial screener. Then got another e-mail from recruiter for second interview a week or so later. Then second interview was with 2 managers, was more rigorous and thorough, focused on their methodology of situation-specific actions taken & the result.

Interview Questions

• Not really... as long as you do your studying on interview question types, you'll be okay.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Go in with confidence and do not chicken out in asking for your salary.

Licensed Financial Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Wachovia (Austin, TX) in January 2008.

Interview

Over the phone interview initially, then you were brought in with a group of peers all applying for the same positions. There were managers in the room with the group observing interactions and then each candidate was pulled out for one on one interviews. I heard back that I was hired in about 1 week or so.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Wachovia (Charlotte, NC) in October 2007.

Interview

Wachovia uses a behavorial interview technique in a panel setting, it's called STAR and standes for: Situation/Task-- Describe the situation that you were in or the task that you needed to accomplish. You must describe a specific event or situation, not a generalized description of what you have done in the past. Be sure to give enough detail for the interviewer to understand. This situation can be from a previous job, from a volunteer experience, or any relevant event.
    Action you took-- Describe the action you took and be sure to keep the focus on you. Even if you are discussing a group project or effort, describe what you did -- not the efforts of the team. .
    Results you achieved-- What happened? How did the event end? What did you accomplish? What did you learn?

Interview Questions

• Again, it's a behavorial interview, so all questions beagn "Tell me about a time you..." versus asking general questions about strengths & weaknesses   Answer Question

Received better job offer

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wachovia (Charlotte, NC) in May 2007.

Interview

The interview process was kind of long winded – from initial to final there were nine interviews with various people.

Initial interviews are by phone (screening) – then invited to Charlotte for a series of interviews.
    Many initial interviews followed a ‘structured question’ path (all candidates asked the same questions) – these are not focused on the job role, and you can be asked the same question multiple different ways. They focus round getting buy in for your ideas, overcoming objections to your ideas, handling conflict, keeping project moving despite strong opposition, plan for first 90 days, and how do you cope with change.
    Interviews were drawn from peer group, some partners you will need to interact with in the role, and final stages are the direct (and matrix) manager(s) you will be working for.

In my case – the interview process was quite positive –they had screened a many applicants and only a few were making though to the later rounds. First few rounds are clearly screening, with set questions - later interviews mostly concentrated on personality and style – mostly to see if the manager felt you were a good fit for their team.

The interviews tended to be in recruitment / meeting areas – with the interviewers coming to the room, so getting a feel for the office environment was difficult. Final interview was in the manager’s office.

Interview Questions

• Many initial interviews followed a ‘structured question’ path (all candidates asked the same questions) – these are not focused on the job role, and you can be asked the same question multiple different ways. Initial focus round getting buy in for your ideas, overcoming objections to your ideas, handling conflict, keeping project moving despite strong opposition, plan for first 90 days, and how do you cope with change.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Wachovia has a bay band for each role, and tends to offer in the 40-50th percentile range initially – but will go up a bit (max would be about 75 if you were really impressive.

The HR rep was able to negotiate within a range and was generally positive to work with. There was a range he was able to offer, and I was willing to accept – I said I couldn’t accept the initial offer, and he was able to come back with $12 more after a couple calls.

He was also able to offer a an up front bonus to cover loss of share options etc at previous company (note they talk ‘sign on’ but offer letter comes as ‘up front’ it didn’t quite get the significance until the end of the years when I was told I was not getting any consideration for part year bonus as I has already received it ‘up front’ – not a big issue, but just be aware of terminology).

WB also paid the relocation costs in a standard package.

Hint – if you know anyone at WB, the pay band for each role is published on the internal job posting board, try asking a friend to look it up and let you know the range.

Financial Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Wachovia (Raleigh, NC) in May 2007.

Interview

* applied online
    *got a call from recruiter and had a phone interview. it was a behavioural interview.
    *got another call from recruiter informing me I was moving on to next stage, i.e a personality test.
    * got a call informing me I was successful and scheduled another interview with the sales leader and also the service leader.
    *then had another interview with banking director.
    * then I was offered job

Interview Questions

• decribe a situation when......   1 Answer

Teller Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Wachovia in January 2007.

Interview

I was already employed for Wachovia and was applying for a position/promotion within another district. Because of interviewing conflicts between locations I was allowed a phone interview. It lasted about 15 minutes and consisted of the typical "Tell me about a time you..." type questions. I was contacted within a few days and made an offer by recruiting.

In my current position I am responsible for conducting interviews for new team members and Wachovia makes each manager take a course on their interviewing process. Within the last few months Service Leaders have taken the responsibility from the Teller Managers or FCM's and have begun hiring for the open Teller positions. In my opinion this has been a disaster. The SL's don't know each individual team well enough to hire someone that is a good fit. Also, they are usually hiring more than one position and will hire people within the first interview round that only possess the minimum qualifications. This has turned out to be disasterous for my team as well as others within my district. Our SL is only looking for quantity over quality. Interviewing needs to go back to the hands of the branch personnel. Just another way to micromanage everyone to death.

The interview format is standard across the board depening on the position applying for. Come prepared to answer several very specific questions based on what you've done in the past. Such as "tell me about a time a customer made an unreasonable request." For Teller/ Teller Manager interviews there is typically only one round of interviews. You should be contacted by a recruiter and not the person who conducted the interview. Although the work enviornment is typically business casual, I would recommend dressing in a suit for the interview, we do notice.

If you are applying for the first time in the Teller role you usually have to begin with a skills test before you are offered an interview. Once a job offer is received you will have to take a drug test and background check.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to gather and evaluate information from multiple sources and make a recommendation.   1 Answer

Negotiation

DO NOT ACCEPT THE FIRST OFFER. Wachovia will always offer the lowest pay grade no matter what skills you bring to the table. I have never heard of a case where they wont negotiate pay. I negotiated about $5000 over my initital offer as a Teller. When I was promoted to a TM I didn't negotiate pay (I thought I was going to be offered a job with another company and Wachovia made their offer first. I didn't expect to keep the job, therefore I didn't negotitate the pay). I was offered below market value for the TM position and am paying for it now. You must negotiate before you accept the offer. Once that paperwork is processed the pay raises are dismal.

Don't expect to negotiate anything else, such as time off. That is standard across the board

Product Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Wachovia (Charlotte, NC) in January 2007.

Interview

Several phone interviews occurred - first with HR, then hiring manager, then peer of hiring manager. A second call took place with HR and with hiring manager. A day of in-person interviews took place with five interviews. The style was behavioral with all questions predetermined. Note - this was Wachovia's process and may change with Wells.

Negotiation

Little negotiation was possible with the offer.

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Wachovia.

Interview

Best to go to an Open House. Then a one on one subsequently. Then an on site interview.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of your persuasion of a client.   1 Answer

Negotiation

You can only negotiate within a range.

Financial Advisor Intern Interview

Interview

Interview Process was straight forward. Looking to hire summer intern in to assist advisors. Questions were related to interest in field.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. Just need to conversation going.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wachovia.

Interview

I went through First Place at the time and I happened to know an employee that knew the manager I was hired by. I submitted my resume and cover letter directly to her and then went through screening, background and the interview. It was a very easy process. I'm not sure what process is in place now that it's Wells Fargo.

Interview Questions

• THere were no technical questions asked, this was for an administrative position   Answer Question