Waitrose Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Waitrose Interview Questions

Updated Jul 6, 2017

70 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waitrose.

Interview

The first part of the interview involved a group assessment in which we each were given a profile of different employees. The interviewer outlined what was going on at the store that day and as a group we were given a certain amount of time to assign employees to the jobs that needed completing that day. After the group interview, we were each interviewed individually.

Counter Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Waitrose.

Interview

One on one interview and tour of the store. Questions asked include:
    What could you bring to the job?
    Why work for Waitrose?
    What are your future plans?
    Have you past counter work experience?
    Example scenarios to work through.

I had had bowel surgery to remove my colon due to ulcerative colitis, but I think the interviewer misunderstood and thought I would need to go to the toilet a lot. She seemed concerned about health and safety even though I assured her I no longer had the problems I had in the past.

Interview Questions

• What could you bring to the job?
      Why work for Waitrose?
      What are your future plans?
      Have you past counter work experience?
      Example scenarios to work through.   Answer Question

Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)).

Interview

It was ok. The manager took me to a room in the staff area. Nice staff lounge by the way. She asked mostly what hours I can work. I was 16 at the time so they care if youre still in full time education. I think thats why I didnt get it.

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warminster, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (Warminster, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview consisted of 2 parts, a 1 to 1 interview lasting about 10 minutes max with two of the manager type people as king the usual questions found on other reviews for this position like "Describe a time when you had to adapt to change". It was fairly short and straightforward and the managers were really lovely too. Then the second part of the process was the group exercise which was slightly different to what I was expecting after reading the other interview experiences on Glassdoor. The managers overseeing this part didn't stay in the room for any of the actual teamwork they left and said that they'd be back after 20 minutes. They basically gave us a situation where lots was going wrong in the store and we needed to assign roles to various staff members based on their expertise etc. The managers did come back in for our 'presentation' of what we thought would be the best solution. This meant that during this short time people were worried that their voices weren't going to be heard and there was a fair amount of people speaking over each other but it is vitally important that you do make yourself heard otherwise they can't mark you or assess you!

Overall a very positive experience. They said we would find out the same day or the next day but it's now been 5 days and I'm still waiting for any news, my application still says "thank you for attending the group assessment..."

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to adapt to change   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you have been told to do something differently, how you felt about the change and how you responded.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (Bristol, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Process was to be an assessment then a one-to-one interview. Although there were other candidates on the day, the assessments were conducted on an individual basis throughout the day. I arrived 15 minutes beforehand and introduced myself at the Welcome Desk, signed in as a visitor and given a sticky label to write my name on and apply to my jacket.

The manager came to meet me at the Welcome Desk and take me to an upstairs office where I was to complete an assessment. I was given 20 minutes to read through the profiles of various staff members and also a list of tasks that staff had to complete. I was asked to assign the tasks to the staff members and be ready to explain why I had assigned that task to them. The idea behind it is to see how you prioritise tasks and how aware you are of limitations and strengths of each member of staff. After the 20 minutes were up, was taken to another office and the same manager conducted the interview. The whole thing lasted one hour and I was told I would know the outcome within seven days.

Interview Questions

• First question was, what interests do you have outside work?   1 Answer
    • Third question was, tell me when you worked well in a team?   1 Answer
    • Do you really want to work nights?   1 Answer

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waitrose in March 2017.

Interview

A group interview where you are given a list of tasks to prioritise and each member is given a employees profile, as a group, you must discuss the order in which tasks will be conducted and allocate tasks to the employee profiles. A plan of action must be constructed and presented to employers. This is followed by a one to one interview.

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Waitrose (Worcester, England (UK)).

Interview

Began with a 1:1 face to face interview which was fairly easy going and relaxed. Followed by a group task. There were 6 in my group and another 6 in a separate group on a different day. We were given various scenarios in a fictitional store & had to create an agreed action plan. It was ok but I found it difficult to take on board all the info in the 5 min reading time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you felt when you were told to do something differently.   Answer Question

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Waitrose (Oxford, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Having exchanged pleasantries prior to the interview process, 6 of us were told as a group to discuss a scenario involving a day in Waitrose and come up with a plan of action. We were then told as a "group" to ignore our manners and compete in our explanation to the hiring manager about our plan of action (because if you don't speak up, you don't get marked on, and there aren't enough opportunities for everyone to do so).

An argument nearly erupted between two older interviewees over whether a spill or a customer should be tended to first. This is how low these people felt they had to stoop to impress these managers.

This process was mind numbing. I managed to get the final point through in our presentation, but it felt wrong and I couldn't help but apologize as I interjected.

The final one-to-one of the interview was a simple and very typical retail process. Corporate questions that any normal person wouldn't think of for a second. The job qualifications, the experience and the good intention of individuals appear to be irrelevant. People are willing to work hard for a meager wage and they're looking for sociopaths.

Supermarket Assistant Nights Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (Southampton, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I found the job advert through Indeed. The application process involved entering the typical information, followed by a sort of questionnaire where I was asked what I would do in certain situations / what my preferences were. I was told there would be a group assessment as well as an interview, but only 2 out of 6 of us showed so we skipped the group assessment.

Interview Questions

• What health and safety concerns are there specific to a night shift?   Answer Question
    • What projects in the past have you been responsible for?   Answer Question

Replenishment Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingston upon Hull, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (Kingston upon Hull, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Standard one on one. Nothing special. Lasted about 30 minutes. Had to do a presentation on general health and safety and "what you would do in this situation" type of thing.