Waitrose Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 17, 2017

2.7

317 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Night Shift Stock Replenishment/Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waitrose (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)).

Interview

The whole process took about a month.
    Ordinarily I wouldn’t write a review such as this as the company did take the time to go through my application and offer me an interview. However I would like to share what I believe to be the worst interview I have ever had and I am not just saying that to be unkind. My interviewer clearly had never interviewed anyone before. To be totally honest he looked like he had just walked off the shop floor as he was still wearing an apron. It is standard practice when interviewing to listen and try, at least, to engage with the other person. My interviewer however didn’t listen to anything I was saying and more importantly didn’t even seem remotely interested. I had to repeat several things over and over as my interviewer spent more time looking at the floor or the sheet of paper in front of him.
    I was asked rather random questions like “what was my favourite movie?” I don’t know if this is a technique used by Waitrose to make the interview a little more relaxed but it came across as rather unprofessional. When I was allowed to ask some questions things just got worse. I asked if he could just clarify with me the hours I would be working, to which I got the reply “to be honest I don’t really know.” I think if you are interviewing someone, at the very least you should know which post they applied for. Secondly when I asked if there would be the opportunity of overtime, my interviewer informed me that there were always shifts available and then showed me the rotas and where to find overtime shifts.
    The whole interview was highly unprofessional and I expected a lot more from such a prestigious company such as Waitrose. I have had previous interviews with this company and all I can say is that their standards have well and truly slipped. I understand that recruitment has been moved away from the stores jurisdiction to head office but honestly Waitrose really needs to rethink this approach. Unfortunately I won’t be applying for another job with Waitrose in the near future.

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woking, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waitrose (Woking, England (UK)).

Interview

There was a one to one at first where the manager asked regular interview questions and then there was an activity to do with 6 other people where you had decide what to do in different situations. The manager was very relaxed, kind and easy to talk to. But the group activity was a little tense as no one knew each other and there was a lot of pressure to speak up.

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The process was quite chill I think. I was taken in by one of the managers and she sat me down in her office and she asked me if I was okay... just general chit chat. The staff seemed really friendly.
    We then did a group assessment which I found quite easy because all you have to do is make up you talk with sense, even if you dont know what anyone is saying just agree and confirm with the group before you make the final decision because it makes you look like you care about what everyone in the team has to say.

Interview Questions

• Describr a time when you had to use a prop to help or advise someone.   1 Answer

Waitrose Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockport, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Waitrose (Stockport, England (UK)).

Interview

We sat in a group of 6 and we were each given a fake profile of an employee and their abilities and had to delegate job roles to them based on scenarios that were given e.g. Someone needs to cover the cafe. And then we were taken for a 1 to 1 interview. Everyone was dressed smartly. Should receive an offer in the next week apparently.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time where you did something wrong and had to change how you did something   Answer Question
    • Give an example of how you implemented change   Answer Question

Retail Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stockport, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waitrose (Stockport, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

Online assessment involving situational questions and ranking of decisions. Self explanatory.

Either 1:1 + a group assessment or the otherway around. I had the group assessment first followed with the 1:1 with a section manager.

Group assessment:

A workday scenario with developing events. Every candidate is given a colleague/partner specification and needs to take the relevant information into account when discussing it with others. The shop needs cover in certain areas and there are certain events that need to take priority. What you say isn't really important its more so they can see how you communicate and deal with others. I felt that I didn't do particularly well and wasn't really vocal enough but I still got the job. Perhaps due to my 1:1 interview. About half way through the scenario another situation develops and this needs to be taken into account. I won't say what it is because it makes the awkward assessment easier and lightens the mood so take advantage of that and laugh out any worries.

1:1

This is more of a discussion about the managers time at Waitrose before you have time to proprely introduce yourself. I was able to relate and build up a healthy conversation with the interviewer which is why I think I got the job. Simple question that you should expect

Advice? Do some research about the company and think about why you would like to work for them. Look at their company structure, principles and values.

Good luck.

Interview Questions

• Q. General questions about how you respond to feedback   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waitrose.

Interview

Online Application, multiple choice questions. Telephone interview with HR. Group interview in branch followed by one to one interview with manager. All were relatively straightforward, just smile and be confident, that's what they're after.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you have delivered great customer service   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waitrose.

Interview

An initial task was given for 20 minutes, in which I had to assign various Partners to various roles, and then I had to speak through the changes to the interviewer. He was very kind and gave lots of encouraging noises, and then we had an interview with the same person. It was brilliant. And then I got the job.

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waitrose (Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online. It was a simple and easy online process. I got called for an interview 2 days after applying online (I was very impressed with how quick this was after reading some people have had to wait up to a month). My interview was the next day on from the phone call. After reading about the competitive and quite aggressive sounding group interviews some people have had to do I got quite worried as I'm not a person who necessarily likes talking over others, however when I arrived I felt instantly comfortable. An employee got me a cup of coffee while he went to get the manager.

The interview was one on one and was very relaxed (and didn't even feel like an interview - more like a chat, even though she did ask the interview questions). It took about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a change you have gone through and how you adapted to it?   1 Answer
    • When talking to a customer, what would you tell them specifically about the product?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    • Why Waitrose?   Answer Question

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waitrose.

Interview

The first part of the interview involved a group assessment in which we each were given a profile of different employees. The interviewer outlined what was going on at the store that day and as a group we were given a certain amount of time to assign employees to the jobs that needed completing that day. After the group interview, we were each interviewed individually.

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Barry, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waitrose (Barry, Wales (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received a very quick response, (around 2 or 3 days).

Very relaxed atmosphere. Initial 1 to 1 interview with some basic 'interview' questions sprinkled in. Then a group task involving the creation of an 'action plan'.