Waitrose Shop Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 14, 2017

2.3

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)).

Interview

It was ok. The manager took me to a room in the staff area. Nice staff lounge by the way. She asked mostly what hours I can work. I was 16 at the time so they care if youre still in full time education. I think thats why I didnt get it.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Waitrose

Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Waitrose (Manchester, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Straight forward application form followed by 3 tests - all situational judgement/behavioural. In-store interview with the manager and assistant. Process was quick, received an interview less than a week after submitting application.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to change the way you worked, tell me a time when you had to provide feedback, tell me a time where you challenged someone at work, why Waitrose, how would you ensure stock levels are maintained, if a customer asked you about a product what would you tell them.   Answer Question

Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (Abingdon, England (UK)).

Interview

Online test - basic
    Group interview
    Offer
    Induction

Interview was very easy, it was a group of about 12 split in teams to work together, they are assessing your teamwork and mannerisms more than anything.

Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Was told to arrive at least 5 mins early, came 15 minutes early. Rang buzzer as told, person on intercom said to come back later without giving a time. I came back 10 mins later and there was a queue of people waiting outside on the street, all waiting for the interview! We waited for 15 mins past the time we were told to be there. While we waited in the reception they collected our passports and gave us a form to fill in: what times, store preferred, uniform size. Then we waited a further hour; long after we had completed the form. After this we were led in to a room and given a group task, which was explained very badly. There weren't enough laminates to go around to be able to participate fully. This was around 20 mins. Then people were led away individually for one to one with the 3 representatives. No one asked for the photocopies of the passport that had been stressed to bring in the emails. Possibly a sign that they had made up their minds that we hadn't been hired. Really had expected more from Waitrose, since they stress customer service and couldn't even extend it to potential employees.

Interview Questions

• - What are your hobbies?
      - Why do you want to work for Waitrose?
      - Example of task where you worked as a team?
      - Tell me about yourself?
      - What would you tell a customer if an item was unavailable in the store?   Answer Question

Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Putney, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (Putney, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview was around an hour long. In the first half an hour I did a group assessment with 2 other people, both the people I was with had already worked in waitrose before so it was a bit difficult. Always try and speak up so that you can be assessed, but don't try and be that person who tries too hard and does all the speaking because it isn't really fair and they're trying to see how well you work as a team. After this I had an individual interview and the questions were very easy, just general questions about things I had done already.

Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nailsea, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (Nailsea, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

I wanted to find full time employment so I sent a letter and my CV to all the local charities and the RSPCA came back to me saying they had a vacancy for a paid shop assistant and the following week I had an interview at the shop with the manager and area supervisor. After another week I was called to the shop for a second interview which was a practical interview on how I organised the shop and pricing stock and after another week I heard the results of the interview which ended up with a job share between me and another young girl.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?   1 Answer

Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (Reading, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

First there was an online application that included several questionnaires. About 4 weeks later I got an interview saying I had a group interview. There were three other people and we were asked to complete a questionnaire then work on some problems as a group and write down our answers as a presentation on A3 paper. I had a tour with a manager (not the person doing the interview) about five weeks later showing me a different job to the one I applied for (I applied for supermarket assistant and was shown a job as a warehouse assistant). I then got an email about a week later offering me the job.

Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

After completing several online tests I got an interview in their London human resources office. Firstly, I had a one-to-one interview. The person interviewing me was very nice, making me feel confident. Then we had a group assessment during which we had to debate about some customers review and see how we coud do solve the problems. This was pretty easy, I believe the main point of the interview was to see who would be confident enough to speak and animate the debate while making relevant observations.

This was a good experience overall. After the interview, the other successful candidates and I had to attend a paid one week formation which was pretty fun as well.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is special about our stores (how do we differentiate ourselves from competitors)?   Answer Question

Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waitrose (Bristol, England (UK)) in August 2014.

Interview

On line, tricky scenario questions, then one to one interview, questions included Why Waitrose, experience of customer service, where do you see yourself in 5 years. I was expecting a group interview but was pleasantly surprised. Mind you I had been called for an interview and was away so maybe that was why. Do mug up on Waitrose and the JLP.

Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in February 2012.

Interview

you have to fill in the application form, and then you are asked to attend the interview. the questions are not tricky, they are actually easy. the interview was not too long, there were several people with me, all going in one by one.

Negotiation

no negotiation