Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 10, 2017

2.6

63 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in London, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (London, KY) in January 2014.

Interview

group interview before breaking off into a 1 on 1, team building exercises. they wanna see teamwork and confidence. Asked questions and had to stand infront of the group to answer the questions as well as working in small teams to complete tasks.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Waitrose

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online and after completing the online tests, I was invited to attend an interview.
    First taken to a room and had to complete a form about details and availability etc. There were 12 people there and we got split into two groups and were taken into separate rooms to complete the group assessment. There were 3 managers in the room assessing us. The task itself was fairly easy; we were given 5 different customers all with different specifications/needs and we had to match the appropriate food item to each one. All about communicating with the group and talking about the decisions made.
    After that, we then went back into the main room with the other group and were called one by one for our individual interview. Again this was fairly easy, the woman interviewing me was really nice and friendly which helped calm my nerves. I was asked standard questions like "Describe a time/Give an example of ..." just make sure you have a lot of examples ready in your head.
    At the start of the process the recruiter said she would contact us within 20 to 25 days to say whether we got the job or not, but I received a call the next morning informing me that I had got the job! Overall I had a very positive experience.

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waitrose.

Interview

Short one to one interview followed by a group exercise. Group exercise involved creating an action plan based on the profiles of 6 Waitrose employees and matching them to certain daily activities. Presented plan at the end and questions were raised.

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Weybridge, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (Weybridge, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and received an email about 2 weeks later asking me to come down for an interview. I arrived 15 minutes before my allocated time, signed in at the customer service desk and was then taken to the staff room where I waited for about 20 minutes. The interviewer then came out, greeted me and took me to his office where I was asked some questions. (He literally just read them from a booklet he had. It wasn't very conversational. A bit rigid and awkward.)

The questions were based on their 'Partnership Behaviours' which you can find on their website. They are: taking pride in ownership, making things happen, delivering excellent service, working together, developing self and others, and being open and adaptable to change.

As I answered the questions, he wrote my answers down into a booklet. He also asked me how many hours I want to work, if I am flexible with hours etc.

Including the 20 minutes waiting time, the whole process took about 1 hour.

Ten days later I received an email saying that I unfortunately was not successful :(

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    • How would you deliver excellent customer service?   Answer Question
    • Imagine you are a customer. What service would you expect from the staff?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time in which you had to do something differently.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time in which you have had to work as a team. What role did you play? How did you make sure what you did make an impact within the team?   Answer Question

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (Sheffield, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and then had a series for online assessments to do. Looking at how to treat customers and also looking at different situations and how you would respond. Each stage you would receive a text message or email to ensure you new what stage you were at.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were asked to do something differently   Answer Question

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sutton Coldfield, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (Sutton Coldfield, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

I passed the only tests and then went to Waitrose in Sheen. I was the first there and had to wait until the others had arrived. We were 5 in the end. At first we were taken to the Waitrose staff lunch room and were asked to get to know each other while the interviewer photocopied our passports. Everyone was very nice. The interviewer said she would interview two of us first and then we would do the group assessment and then she would individually interview the remaining 3 of us....so two were individually interviewed and then we went into another room to do the group interview. We were all given a 2 page document which had tasks that had to be done in a day working at Waitrose and then we were each given a different sheet of paper which had the qualities of a made up staff member and after individually reading our own staff member (which no one else knew who it was) we had to prioritise the tasks and say which staff member would complete the task with the most efficiency.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when someone told you to do a task differently and how did it make you feel   Answer Question

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Waitrose.

Interview

There are two parts for the interview. The first is a group interview where you will be asked to work with a few people and pair up customers with products from Waitrose. These product will be labeled with prices, ingredients and all you have to do is pair them up with a customers profile. You will have about 5 minutes to do this on your own and then they will tell you to work with your team to assign products and costumers. SPEAK UP! Its very important to have yourself be heard so that the interviewer sees you are engaging with other people.

The second part is a one on one interview where they will ask you basic interview questions.

I was offered a position one day after my interview and having been working part time for about a month now. Its a great opportunity and company to work for!

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose.

Interview

Several online tests and application questions to determine if you fit into the culture of Waitrose (team player). Depending if you are successful, you will receive a phone call, inviting you for a interview. The interview I had was a one to one.

Interview Questions

• Have you had a disagreement with anyone, and if so how did you resolve it?   1 Answer

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

I arrived slightly early, I was expecting a group interview but I was just called by the recruitment manager into a room where she asked me a range of questions relating to why I want this job and others

Interview Questions

• Name one time where you had to do something differently   1 Answer

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose in October 2017.

Interview

After completing the online tests (which take quite a while), I received a text and email notification inviting me to choose an interview time slot for the next week.
    I chose a time and began looking into extra details surrounding Waitrose.

You are asked to arrive at the store at least 15 minutes before your interview time, and to report to the store's main desk. The employee there asked me to sit in some chairs next to the checkout whilst she let the interviewer know. I was waiting for around 10 minutes.

I was approached by one of the hiring managers and taken to an office in the back - she was very friendly. She asked for my passport first as proof of being able to work in the UK and then explained the interview process to me briefly - you then are asked a range of general questions about your past experience and questions based around Waitrose.

At the end of the interview she asked if I had any questions and explained what would happen following the interview, and then I was escorted back to the shop floor.

The only thing I would mention is not to feel too disheartened if you don't hear anything very quickly - I was told to check my emails throughout that week and after not hearing anything for 2 weeks I was close to accepting that I had probably been rejected. However, exactly 2 weeks after the interview I received an email offering me the job!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Waitrose?   Answer Question
    • What do you think are the qualities we look for in a Partner?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had to deal with a change, and how did you respond?   Answer Question
    • Could you give an example of a time in which you had made a mistake and had to learn from it? How did you do so?   Answer Question
    • What would you say is good customer service?   Answer Question