Waitrose Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 18, 2017

2.7

369 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online and after completing the online tests, I was invited to attend an interview.
    First taken to a room and had to complete a form about details and availability etc. There were 12 people there and we got split into two groups and were taken into separate rooms to complete the group assessment. There were 3 managers in the room assessing us. The task itself was fairly easy; we were given 5 different customers all with different specifications/needs and we had to match the appropriate food item to each one. All about communicating with the group and talking about the decisions made.
    After that, we then went back into the main room with the other group and were called one by one for our individual interview. Again this was fairly easy, the woman interviewing me was really nice and friendly which helped calm my nerves. I was asked standard questions like "Describe a time/Give an example of ..." just make sure you have a lot of examples ready in your head.
    At the start of the process the recruiter said she would contact us within 20 to 25 days to say whether we got the job or not, but I received a call the next morning informing me that I had got the job! Overall I had a very positive experience.

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Interview

Went through the online application process and the online test. Once the application is being successful, I got invited to take part in an interview.
    The interview process was separate into 2 parts.
    First, it was a group assessment. We were given 6 different type of products and 4 different customers. We had to match the product to what the customer needs and we need to justify why.
    After the group assessment, it was an 1-1 interview. The interview involved with a few questions and ended with filling in your availability sheet.

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

First I had a group interview then a 1 to 1 interview. The group interview was with 6/7 other people and we had to prioritise tasks and match the worker to the task. Just make sure you contribute.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you have been told to do something differently   Answer Question

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Weybridge, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (Weybridge, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and received an email about 2 weeks later asking me to come down for an interview. I arrived 15 minutes before my allocated time, signed in at the customer service desk and was then taken to the staff room where I waited for about 20 minutes. The interviewer then came out, greeted me and took me to his office where I was asked some questions. (He literally just read them from a booklet he had. It wasn't very conversational. A bit rigid and awkward.)

The questions were based on their 'Partnership Behaviours' which you can find on their website. They are: taking pride in ownership, making things happen, delivering excellent service, working together, developing self and others, and being open and adaptable to change.

As I answered the questions, he wrote my answers down into a booklet. He also asked me how many hours I want to work, if I am flexible with hours etc.

Including the 20 minutes waiting time, the whole process took about 1 hour.

Ten days later I received an email saying that I unfortunately was not successful :(

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    • How would you deliver excellent customer service?   Answer Question
    • Imagine you are a customer. What service would you expect from the staff?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time in which you had to do something differently.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time in which you have had to work as a team. What role did you play? How did you make sure what you did make an impact within the team?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

The interview consisted of two parts - one to one interview and a group interview. The group interview was completed first and involved 6 of us being asked to read information about a customer and match them with a particular product which would best suit their needs, I would really advise having a few options you could suggest per customer where possible, and make sure that you not only heard yourself but ask the others about what they feel, if the right decisions were made as a group etc. You have 5 minutes before you start the task as a groupBe open to listening to the people in your group for example, in our group, one candidate was so obsessed with the customer whose favourite product was discontinued (in this case it was a butterscotch cake) she automatically assumed the next item to offer him would be the butterscotch pastry and was very stuck on this answer, whereas she didn't consider the possibility that it could be the cake the customer actually wanted rather than butterscotch flavouring, and the idea of asking the customer what they actually wanted wasn't contemplated at all. Be familiar with Waitrose! ie, how in certain situations, they will give customers samples to try to generate repeat custom.

After the group task, the interviewer asked us about our answers, and then took us back to the initial waiting room where we were going to be interviewed 1-1. I was lucky in that I was called first and my interviewer was also the one who did the group assessment for the group interview which hopefully helped!
    The questions focused on Partner behaviours and along the lines of "Name a time when you made a mistake and how you resolved the problem? How did you ensure this didn't happen again?", "What does good customer service mean to you?" (He said my answer was as if I had the John Lewis Handbook on me haha)
    Overall it was a positive experience, all of the interview staff seemed to want to help and everyone to do well. I received a call 3 days after the interview offering me a position (they did mention it can take up to 10 days to get a response)

Interview Questions

• What does good customer service mean to you?   1 Answer

Store Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lutterworth, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Waitrose (Lutterworth, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Completed online application which included two tests. I received an email after each step which then made it quite confusing as to whether I had actually completed all of the necessary information. Was then invited to interview at the store a few days later. Had to queue at Customer Service Desk to let them know I had arrived which could have been a problem if I had not arrived early. I was taken into the canteen to wait. There were initially two of us and we were informed we would be interviewed first then two more applicants would be joining us later for the group assessment. The interviewer apologised for the location of the interview which was, bizarrely, in the First Aid room (or should I say cupboard?). Standard interview questions followed then a chance to discuss the pay and hours. I knew this would not go any further when told the pay rate and after I had expressed an interest in working hours that they could not accommodate. This store has a reputation for not keeping staff and, as it is situated close to a very large industrial estate, the reason is probably due to the higher wages paid locally in the warehouse industry. Offering a salary starting at minimum wage is not going to encourage people.
    We then met up with two other applicants and were shown into an office for the group assessment. This assessment was meant for six participants and, in my opinion, would have worked better if there had been six of us as one of the group did not participate much. The two interviewers sat watching and making notes. We had twenty minutes to discuss our task and about half way through another situation was thrown into the mix to see how we coped. We then had to present our conclusions to the interviewers. The whole process was over in about ninety minutes

Interview Questions

• I was asked to discuss a situation where I had implemented changes in my current job. Further questions were asked based on my answer, such as how did the change impact on my colleagues and in what way did the company benefit from the outcome?
      For the group assessment we were each given a brief to read of a typical scenario in a store at the start of the day. This included staff abscence, delivery delays and busy departments. We also had briefs on six colleagues, including their skill sets and preferences. We had five minutes to individually read the scenario and then twenty minutes to discuss who would be deployed where. After about ten minutes the curveball was thrown in (a seagull wreaking havoc in the store!) and we had to reconsider our initial plans to include how to deal with this issue.   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cheltenham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waitrose (Cheltenham, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

I had to complete several online assessments to test if I was suitable for an interview. Then I got invited for a group assessment and a one to one interview at the store. The interviews in store were relatively simple. However, the online assessments before hand mean it takes a while to even get an interview

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time where you had to deal with a difficult customer?   1 Answer
    • What skills do you think it takes to maintain good partnership?   Answer Question

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (Sheffield, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and then had a series for online assessments to do. Looking at how to treat customers and also looking at different situations and how you would respond. Each stage you would receive a text message or email to ensure you new what stage you were at.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were asked to do something differently   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Waitrose.

Interview

There are two parts for the interview. The first is a group interview where you will be asked to work with a few people and pair up customers with products from Waitrose. These product will be labeled with prices, ingredients and all you have to do is pair them up with a customers profile. You will have about 5 minutes to do this on your own and then they will tell you to work with your team to assign products and costumers. SPEAK UP! Its very important to have yourself be heard so that the interviewer sees you are engaging with other people.

The second part is a one on one interview where they will ask you basic interview questions.

I was offered a position one day after my interview and having been working part time for about a month now. Its a great opportunity and company to work for!

Stock Replenishment Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waitrose.

Interview

First had a one to one interview, then moved into a group activity with 3 other people. Fairly basic questions, mostly about yourself and previous experience, however never having had a job before makes previous experience questions bit tricky to answer! One girl in the group interview completely took over the scenario situations, leaving the rest of us slightly confused. I then left with another applicant and the manager, as the other 2 were having their one to ones. He spent the whole time talking to her and didn't ackknowledge me until I was almost out the door and awkwardly shook my hand. A bit rude.