Waitrose Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 22, 2017

2.7

72 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (Reading, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Online application which was fairly easy then invited to a group assessment, had to introduce ourselves and work in a team to prioritise what were the most important things that had to be done to better the store

Interview Questions

• What does it take to be a successful partner at Waitrose   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Waitrose

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warminster, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (Warminster, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview consisted of 2 parts, a 1 to 1 interview lasting about 10 minutes max with two of the manager type people as king the usual questions found on other reviews for this position like "Describe a time when you had to adapt to change". It was fairly short and straightforward and the managers were really lovely too. Then the second part of the process was the group exercise which was slightly different to what I was expecting after reading the other interview experiences on Glassdoor. The managers overseeing this part didn't stay in the room for any of the actual teamwork they left and said that they'd be back after 20 minutes. They basically gave us a situation where lots was going wrong in the store and we needed to assign roles to various staff members based on their expertise etc. The managers did come back in for our 'presentation' of what we thought would be the best solution. This meant that during this short time people were worried that their voices weren't going to be heard and there was a fair amount of people speaking over each other but it is vitally important that you do make yourself heard otherwise they can't mark you or assess you!

Overall a very positive experience. They said we would find out the same day or the next day but it's now been 5 days and I'm still waiting for any news, my application still says "thank you for attending the group assessment..."

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to adapt to change   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you have been told to do something differently, how you felt about the change and how you responded.   Answer Question

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose.

Interview

Got an invitation for job interview and group assessment almost after a month. Had the personal interview first which lasted less than 20 minutes. The interviewer was friendly and they have general process of asking questions from a list on paper. It went smooth and it was easy. The group assessment included 4 of us and the included 2 exercises. the main purpose of this group exercise is to get involved in the activity and show some initiative as well as try to show problem solving. Correct answer does not matter.

Interview Questions

• General customer service questions, question about adapting to change, question about getting feedback, questions related to teamwork and interpersonal skills.   Answer Question

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (Leicester, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I was called for an interview within two weeks of sending in the application form. It said 'group assessment' but I only interviewed one other female. Was interviewed by a female manger in a room resembling a cupboard with table and chairs. Both, myself and the other interviewee had questions put to us about what action we would take in certain situations, experiences in difficult situations in customer serving roles, how would we react to change, etc.

We were both given a task that required us to work together and prioritise different actions in a Waitrose supermarket on a limited time scale.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you have given great customer service ?
      What, in your opinion, is good customer service ?
      Describe a situation that you found challenging in a customer service role ?   1 Answer

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Waitrose (Oxford, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Having exchanged pleasantries prior to the interview process, 6 of us were told as a group to discuss a scenario involving a day in Waitrose and come up with a plan of action. We were then told as a "group" to ignore our manners and compete in our explanation to the hiring manager about our plan of action (because if you don't speak up, you don't get marked on, and there aren't enough opportunities for everyone to do so).

An argument nearly erupted between two older interviewees over whether a spill or a customer should be tended to first. This is how low these people felt they had to stoop to impress these managers.

This process was mind numbing. I managed to get the final point through in our presentation, but it felt wrong and I couldn't help but apologize as I interjected.

The final one-to-one of the interview was a simple and very typical retail process. Corporate questions that any normal person wouldn't think of for a second. The job qualifications, the experience and the good intention of individuals appear to be irrelevant. People are willing to work hard for a meager wage and they're looking for sociopaths.

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Haywards Heath, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (Haywards Heath, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online for a new store opening in March 2017, got an email inviting me to a group assessment which I attended a month later. There were 6 of us in total, and the interviewers gave us a situation of some problems that could occur in the store and gave us 20 minutes to discuss what we would prioritize and how we would deal with them. Then I had a 1 on 1 interview where the interviewer asked a few questions. They told me I would hear back within a week.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you made a mistake in a work environment and how you dealt with it   Answer Question

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online, simple and straightforward process, series of situational awareness tests where you match up your responses to certain situations in order of preference, its mainly common sense. Then a few days later I was emailed invited to an interview a few days later. I arrived at the assessment centre and then we filled in a form specifying our availability and then our preferences in where we would like to work most branch wise.

After this we went off to do the group interview, which consisted of a simple matching up activity, having customer requirements and products that we would think best went with them. We were given a few minutes of independent reading and then the group discussion which they were assessing. It's vital to speak up because if you are not vocal in this exercise then they have nothing to assess you on.

After that we had the one to one interview where they ask a series of questions about times you have had to do certain things and that was it. They said they'd call back within 2 weeks to give me the results, as of yet I am still waiting.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had to adapt and change   Answer Question
    • Can you give a time that you were told by someone to do something a different way and how did you react?   Answer Question

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

A few online situational tests just asking general questions about customer service.
    Invited to a group interview about a week later and was just myself and another person. We had to go through a lift of complaints and decide which were the most important and discuss a plan of action to overcome these. We were interviewed by two men who were very welcoming and put you at ease.
    A 1-1 interview followed which wasn't too long or difficult, just asking about you as a person and what skills/qualities you could bring to Waitrose.
    Took over 2 weeks to receive an offer - surprising as usually only a couple of days.

Interview Questions

• A time you have challenged authority for the greater good?   Answer Question
    • How do you personally adapt to change and an example of this?   Answer Question
    • How would you ensure stock is kept fresh?   1 Answer
    • Why Waitrose?   1 Answer
    • How would you tell customers to buy products without physically speaking to them?   1 Answer

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Group Exercise, Individual Interview.

Group exercise involved choosing the most appropriate skills for a role in the Partnership. Had to pitch a few different Waitrose products. Individual interview to discuss the role and your previous job history. Interview was fairly easy. Had tor return for a second one-to-one interview with my line manager to discuss my exact positioning in the section.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the Partnership values?
      What is the difference between a Partner and an employee?   Answer Question

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mill Hill, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (Mill Hill, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. I had a 1 on 1 interview which had standard question followed up my a group interview where our problem-solving skills were put to the test with others. Very friendly atmosphere and interviewers were very helpful.

Interview Questions

• How have you coped in a very busy period   1 Answer