Walgreens Shift Leader Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Walgreens Shift Leader Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2017

2.1

Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Walgreens (West Palm Beach, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

Interviewer asked about my experience and employment background. Then she reviewed the job requirements with me and asked questions to see if I was capable of performing those specific duties.

Interview Questions

• How have you handled difficult customer situations in the past?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Walgreens

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Walgreens (Memphis, TN) in October 2016.

Interview

It was very tense! Two managers, six behavioral questions. Basically what kind of leader are you and Why you think you stand out over others. What can you bring to the company/store that would increase production... Can you handle the task at hand.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you were chosen to be a leader and how were you successful in organizing your team?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Walgreens (San Antonio, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

Walgreens handles all of their applications through a website accessed at home or in-store. I applied from home for a cashier position and within 30 minutes recieved a call from the Store Manager to set up an interview and directing me to go to a store and complete the assessment test (Step 2). The assessment asks a mix of situational, reading and task comprehension, as well as math questions meant to gauge an applicant's ability to multi-task, work in a team, and handle customers.

When I arrived (early) for my interview the Assistant Manager initially told me the Store Manager wasn't in and I was welcome to apply. I stated I had an interview already scheduled with the Store Manager, and she told me she was not in the store. After 15 minutes of asking her to contact the manager and being asked to wait and a different member of the leadership team getting I nvolved I was asked if the Assistant Manager could perform the interview as part of her training.

It is a basic behavioral interview meant to work in tandem with the assessment completed in Step 2 if the application process. Halfway through the interview the Store Manager stopped us and asked if I had management experience. When I replied in the positive, she changed modes, abandoning the behavioral interview and moving to a more traditional, applicant-focused interview, asking abiut past work experiences and what my plans are for the future. She then gave me the pay rates for the two positions (~$7.50 for cashier and $11.25 for Shift Leader) and asked me to reapply for the Shift Leader position, which I did.

After the interview and reapplying I was given a form to go to a lab for a deug test. Once the drug test results were recieved I was told to go to a store and complete Step 3, which is agreeing to a background and credit check. The entire process (including computer and network failures) took 1 month from application to start date.

Interview Questions

• What was a time you had difficulty communicating with a customer? How did you handle the situation? Do you feel you were successful? Why or why not?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was told there was no negotiating starting pay, and I'm not entirely certain that is correct. I felt if I had pushed the issue I might have gained a bit of income or lost the offer entirely. I did advise them of my desire to attend school, which was my reason for leaving seeking a job outside of management as well as changing companies. I was told this would not be an issue and they often work with student schedules.

There was also the issue of religious holidays, a touchy subject during an interview as revealing one's religiom can lead to claims of discrimination. The Store Manager navigated through it quite deftly and made a note that once I passed all screening I needed to put in for the time I needed off and have it approved.

Shift Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Walgreens in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online one afternoon and went to the store to complete my skills assessment later that night. I applied for both a cashier and shift leader position. About a week later I got a call from the store manager asking to set up an interview for the next day, which I did. Upon arriving for the interview the manager and assistant manager came out and shook my hand, and brought me into the office for the interview. The store manager did most of the questioning, with the assistant commenting every now and again, pointing different things out about the position. I learned that I was interviewing for a shift leader position, and the questions I was asked were geared towards that. I answered them all as best I could, then at the end the manager told me the pay rate and a few other things about the job, and that they had a few more interviews yet to do but that I did a great job and that they were impressed. The next morning he called me back saying that he had chosen another candidate, but that he had given my name to the manager at his old store and that he, too, was hiring for a shift leader position. He asked me to come in after the weekend for a meeting, but that I would not have to re-interview because mine was already in the system. I went in and met with the same manager I talked with at the other store and this other store manager, and basically all they did was ask if my availability has still the same and if I had any questions. Our talk was cut short by an unexpected conference call, prompting them to offer me the position and get a few forms ready for a drug test.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where accuracy was important for your position (or something similar to this)   1 Answer

Negotiation

They asked me if I was available for holidays, and I said that I had plans for Christmas day, but that if needed I would be more than happy to come in. They told me that they would take care of Christmas for me since I had plans, and I told them that for future Christmases I should be available.

Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Walgreens (Topeka, KS) in October 2014.

Interview

I had an informal one on one interview with a manager who was pretty much dead set on me being hired already. The formal interview was more for show than anything else and didn't really enlighten me as to what I was really expected to do in the position past what I already assumed.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience with merchandising store displays.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Crystal Lake, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Walgreens (Crystal Lake, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

Not very hard. Just be honest with everything you answer. It isn't a very long interview. Maybe a half hour. Dress to impress. Have a good attitude when walking in. You will have to take a skills assessment before you even get interviewed.

Shift Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Walgreens.

Interview

I applied online and was called by the community leader to set up an interview for a service clerk position within about a week. My first interview went really well and I was sent for drug testing a couple of days later. A week after that I hadn't heard back from them so I went in and met with the new store manager who set up another interview for me for the next day.

During that short interview she informed me that there was a leadership position open at that store that she was very interested in seeing me in and that she would be meeting with the community leader to make a decision in the coming days. She called me three days later and offered me the position.

Interview Questions

• What are your future aspirations within this company? Could you see yourself in a management position and working with Walgreens long term?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There isn't really any negotiation. I was offered a very acceptable wage and benefits and accepted.

Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Walgreens (Gary, IN) in April 2014.

Interview

If you have a pulse they'll basically hire you because they're desperate for anyone to take the position for $11 an hour which is highway robbery. They realize the position is basically a revolving door and $11 is appealing to most so you're thinking it's a great opportunity with advancement but soon realize that you'll be miserable for years to come.

Interview Questions

• You basically have to show up with some retail background and be professional. The last few stores I worked at they virtually handed to keys and title over to the cosmetic girl and photo guy.   Answer Question

Shift Leader Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Walgreens in February 2014.

Interview

I might have to step down from MGT if I don't get through the interviewing process

Interview Questions

• I have to take a math test to get selected for the interview process   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Walgreens (Tampa, FL).

Interview

I stepped down from Assistant Manager for they are doing away with the title.

Interview Questions

• I was interviewed many years ago, things are a little different. My interview was informal for it was a promotion from pharmacy tech to MGT.   Answer Question