Walmart Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Walmart Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Walmart

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Walmart (Indianapolis, IN) in March 2012.

Interview

Interview....10 standard situational type questions

Hiring - Market Manager offers job, then a 6 week training class

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none

Other Interview Reviews for Walmart

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Walmart (Raleigh, NC) in January 2012.

Interview

In my case it was an internal interview (I already worked for the company), however the questions are the same for internal/external interviewees. There are about 5 questions ranging over 5 competencies (1 Question per area). The questions are designed to show thought in your decision making as well as clear leadership. The panel interview will be either 2 or 3 managers, usually store managers sometimes shift managers. There really isn't anything too complicated about the process, and usually if they've called you for an interview, the actual interview is just a formality-provided you don't absolutely tank it. It's mainly about getting the call asking if you wish to interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to switch your focus from one task to another very quickly.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Murfreesboro, TN

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Walmart (Murfreesboro, TN) in November 2010.

Interview

Behavioral Interview Questions that are based off of Compentenies Wal-Mart believes in.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer? How did you candle them and what you do differently next time?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No Negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Walmart (San Jose, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

I was contacted about group/panel interviews at Walmart. I attended the panel interview and met with 2 store managers. They asked basic behavioral questions. Then I met with the HR market representative and she told me more about the position. She wanted me to meet with the Market Manager and said she would set up a phone interview. After the phone interview, they said they would get back to me in a week. I have called once a week for 3 weeks each time leaving my name and number to contact me. No response from them at all.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had to work with a strong personality.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Walmart (Fort Worth, TX) in December 2011.

Interview

I submitted my application through the Walmart website, and took my resume into the store that I applied at. Spoke with the Store Manager, and stayed in regular contact with her for over a week until she called me in for an interview. I interviewed with 2 Co-Managers and the Store Manager, and got a call the next day with a job offer at $48,500/year.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to work for a difficult manager.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a project or task that you took on at work and improved.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Walmart (Colorado Springs, CO) in July 2011.

Interview

worlds largest company=worlds most impersonal hiring process. It's all very technology driven/impersonal. Finally talked with store manager pretty far into it after email correspondence and online testing (way too early in process).
    At that point it dawned on me how tough it would be to relate to any of the people on staff mostly, and I bailed.

Interview Questions

was looking to do something temporarily, but honestly I couldn't bring myself to work with the incompetent staff I'd be helping to manage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Walmart (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2011.

Interview

Applied online and was called to schedule a phone interview with Market HR. After phone interview I had a second interview with a panel: Market HR and Market Manager and an asst manager. All of the questions are on competencies and should be answered using the STAR format. The interview consisted of about 45 minutes answering questions and about a fifteeen minute tour of a dept within store. I felt it was a good interview and have not heard anything yet.

Interview Questions

• What have you done to improve the cutomer shopping experience?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to remove an obstacle so the team could achieve it's goal   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Wichita Falls, TX

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Walmart (Wichita Falls, TX) in January 2011.

Interview

The hiring process seems long and tedius but is totally worth the toil. It takes time to create a new employee, I have found that if a job takes a while to integrate into during the interview process its a good choice for me.

Interview Questions

• What did you like about your last job, why? How does that affect your potential outlook of this job, should you be hired. How did you create new ideas about how to successfully integrate your ideas in your last job, and how were your ideas recvd?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate at all. I had originally thought about negotiating on my salary but after doing my homework I found that it is right in line with the national average.

Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Walmart (Chelmsford, MA) in March 2011.

Interview

So, I interview and accepted a job at Walmart. I walked in and was interviewed by the Market Human Resources person and the Store Manager of the location. The MHRM was polite and happy, whereas the Store Manager was very unprofessional and all over the place. It was a very difficult interview because one person was "serious" and the other was "not serious". They ask those situational based questions that are pretty stupid such as "tell me about a time when you did X Y or Z and what was the result". I accepted the job at Walmart for 42k.... The bonus is paid after a solid year of performance and not quarterly.... The first day I watched an "anti-union propaganda video" that every single employee watches.

I had some training for the position for 4 weeks and let me tell you, the people I was with were the classic top notch rejects of society. I looked around the room thinking "what have I gotten myself into". They are happy people overall because 42k is about as good as their ever going to make in their lives.

Buyer beware.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you lead a project of more than 5 people...   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you helped an unhappy customer   Answer Question

Negotiation

No real negotiating. They basically tell you what its gonna be. it varies slightly but expect 40k ish. I recommend interviewing at Target where professionals work. Walmart is amateur hour.

Anonymous Employee in Williamsburg, KY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Walmart (Williamsburg, KY) in November 2010.

Interview

The interview consisted of questions, testing competencies regarding management styles and money management related to the retail world.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you implemented a plan that would impact sales/profit? What did you do? How did you implement your plan?What resources did you use?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation