Walmart Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Walmart Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 5, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Walmart (Asheville, NC) in October 2016.

Interview

I received a phone call asking if I would be willing to do a phone interview the next day, which I was. This was somewhat surprising to me since I never applied for this job, but oh well. The phone interview was a conference call with one of the store co-managers, someone from personnel, training, and at least two others whose positions were not specified. The call lasted about 45 minutes and consisted of a few distinct sections. The first section was a very open-ended "tell us about yourself." After determining that these guys had basically no information on me and no copy of my resume, I gave them a quick personal history, major preferences, and work history. The second section was a structured question and answer session. The questions all followed the format of stating a topic , asking for a description of an event or action in which I demonstrated the topic, asking for details on the steps taken, and finally the results of my actions. I found this very easy, actually, since I had plenty of experience in all of the scenarios to pop out a good answer without having to put any thought into it.

Interview Questions

• 1) Judgment: Use Appropriate Judgment: Describe a recent job-related situation where you had to make an important business decision.
      -Why was the decision important?
      -What steps did you take?
      -What information did you consider?
      -What challenges did you face and how did you overcome them?
      -What was the outcome?
      -How did that outcome affect your future decisions?

2) Customer/Member Centered: Focus On The Customer: Describe the steps you have taken to ensure that your organization delivered a high level of customer service. Please provide specific examples.
      -What challenges did you face and how did you overcome them?
      -What processes or services, if any, have you changed based on your efforts?
      -How have you helped teach and train others in this area?
      -How have your efforts impacted your organization?
      Answer Question
    • 3) Execution and Results: Manage Execution and Results: Describe a time when you and your team completed a critical project despite a heavy workload?
      -How did you assist your team in meeting their goals?
      -What actions did you take to ensure the work was completed accurately and on time?
      -What challenges did you and your team face and how did you overcome them?
      -What was the outcome?
      -What, specifically, did you learn from this experience?

4) Planning and Improvement: Plan and Pursue Team-Based Improvement: Describe the process you have used to ensure your work plans are coordinated and aligned with company initiatives and direction. Please provide specific examples.
      -Who did you involve?
      -What facts, information, or data did you consider?
      -How did you set your timelines?
      -What was the impact of your efforts?
      Answer Question
    • 5) Influence and Communicate: Increase Commitment: Describe a time when you had to influence a group to support a significant change in work processes or procedures.
      -What information did you consider?
      -What resistance did you face, and how did you overcome that resistance?
      -How did you build support for the change?
      -How did you compare your group's performance to organizational objectives?
      -How did you help the group adapt to the change?
      -What was the result of your efforts?

6) Talent: Supervise Associates: Describe the process that you go through in planning for future staffing needs.
      -What steps have you taken?
      -What business requirements and other information do you consider?
      -Who else do you involve?
      -How has this process assisted you in determining who to recruit and hire?
      -What challenges have you faced, and how have you overcome them?
      Answer Question
    • 7) Adaptability: Quickly Adapt: Describe a job-related situationin which you had to overcome an obstacle or other difficulty.
      -What was the obstacle or difficulty?
      -What steps did you take?
      -What challenges did you face and how did you overcome them?
      -What worked? What didn't work?
      -What was the outcome?

8) Ethics and Compliance: Manage Ethics and Compliance: What steps have you taken to communicate and support the highest standards of integrity and ethics in your area of responsibility? Please provide specific examples.
      -How have you judged the success of your efforts?
      -What challenges did you face and how did you overcome them?
      -What worked? What didn't work?
      -What was the outcome?
      -How have you enforced compliance?
      Answer Question
    • 9) What was the most difficult work situation you were ever in? How did you handle it and what was the outcome?

10) What is your biggest weakness?

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Walmart (Indianapolis, IN) in August 2016.

Interview

Ask scenarios and how you would respond
    Ask you 7-10 questions .
    Takes 30 minutes to 1 hour over the phone
    You hear silence for awhile after you answer and they will ask you to elaborate on why you answered the way you did and ask more defining questions

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to make an important business decision   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Walmart (San Antonio, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

apply on line, assessment, phone screen, group screening, individual interview, background check, drug screen, job offer. they place you where they want, not your choice. training classroom and in store.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Walmart.

Interview

Starts with the phone interview, meet and greet with the store manager then the drug test. Just make sure you know about the previous employments. Do not hesitate to negotiate your salary after the job offer. It always works. Your first day at work starts on orientation day in a nearby Walmart store. Then they instruct you where to go for the training. Usually its in CT or NJ. Total process take 4 to 6 months before they give you the actual store where you'll be working.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Three to four questions on tell me a time when etc etc. Make sure you know all your P&L questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Ironwood, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Walmart (Ironwood, MI) in April 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with the store manager after applying on line . HR and one other person on telephone conference call. The interview was not as stressful as I had anticipated. Remember to bring your resume (copy) and I included the 30 plus training certificates (copies) I had collected throughout my previous career.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were geared towards you capabilities in managing employees.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coppell, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Walmart (Coppell, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

First, you apply online, and then they send you an email in order to interview with you 1:1. Then you go to their headquarters interview in person. After that, I did not even received an email saying that they found another candidate. I just did assume.

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Walmart (San Antonio, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

5 customer based competency questions, star based. It was easy. 2 store managers interviewed me at the hiring event. Got a call back couple days later that I got the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you have to be a team player   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. They tell you the amount of salary you're getting, give or take.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ellicott City, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Walmart (Ellicott City, MD) in January 2016.

Interview

Phone interview. Then 120 question test. Test is timed. Then in person interview with human resource manager. Then store tour by yourself taking note of store. Then interview with market manager. Then job offer.

ASM- Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Walmart (Columbus, OH) in December 2015.

Interview

Very detailed, a lot of questions basing my knowledge of leadership and my leadership style

The formal interview was intimidating but exciting. I got to interview with 8 different store managers.

Interview Questions

• What was a difficult experience that I had to over come? How did I do it? What tools did I use?   1 Answer

ASM- Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Walmart (Columbia, MO) in December 2015.

Interview

I was an internal hire. I applied online after taking a quiz covering situational management questions. It took about to week to hear on an interview then another 3-4 days for an answer. The interview was over the phone with the store manager. The interview itself took about 30 minutes, 8-10 questions. Once you are job offered, you submit a background check and drug screening.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to complete multiple tasks in a short time frame.
      Describe a time you had to maintain the highest standards on integrity in a difficult situation.
      Describe a time you had to assemble a team to tackle a large task.
      Describe a time you had to implement a new process and how did you get others to buy-in?