Walmart eCommerce Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a friend. The whole interview process took only a few days. I was impressed with how fast they could move and their determination to recruit the best engineers. The whole process with very professional. Communications were all timely and effective.
    The interview itself was very reasonable, there were design questions, questions about past project, coding exercises, and a bit behavior questions. Communications during the interviews were all very open and engaging. The interviewers all made an effort to answer my questions. People seemed very happy and satisfied with their work.

They made me a very attractive offer, and made effort to answer more of my project related questions when I couldn't decide between offers. I had to decline the offer due to personal interest in the another project. But I would highly recommend to give them a try. They have smart people and competitive compensation.

Interview Questions

• What’s been your most challenging project or technology in the last two years?   1 Answer

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce (San Bruno, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

I got a call from the recruiter fairly quickly after applying online. She set up a call which went well. I was then set up to talk to the hiring manager on the phone. The call went well and he asked a lot of great questions.

I sent a follow up email/thank you note to the recruiter and both the hiring manager. That was 4 weeks ago. Til this day, I have not received one bit of information on the status of the position.

I have gotten an offer for another job at another company so I'm not upset I didn't get the job at Walmart. I just want to point out that I believe it is in good practice to at least email all candidates some type of status whether it's "hey we went with another candidate" or "we'd love to move forward."

Interview Questions

• Have you shopped on walmart.com before?   1 Answer

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce (San Bruno, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

Initially a phone interview with a hr who contacted on LinkedIn. Expect a lot of flakiness with hr team. They are not very good. If you get through, expect a phone interview with the hiring manager. If you get through, you will have many more interviews.
    A day of interviews with multiple stakeholders. Before the interviews start there is an IQ test. It is not hard. Lots of resume questions, character questions and fit on work experience and history. Got an offer within a day. After offer, need to do hr screening and drug test.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

not able to negotiate

Associate Merchandise Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce (San Bruno, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

There was a recruiter that got in touch and related my experience to the job, told me about the job and set up a time to meet the hiring manager for the department they were looking for. After a short interview with the hiring manager, I had 3 back to back interviews within a week. They were looking to hire fast and I was the last they interviewed (I believe) so I knew the result within a few days and started 2 weeks later.

Associate Merchandise Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce (San Bruno, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

2 phone interviews. One basic behavioral questions and the other had a market sizing case. Got in-person interview schedule with 6 interviews back to back (45 min each). All were mainly case based interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce (San Bruno, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

First was an HR interview where they did ask about my salary requirements (which I naively answered).

Then a technical phone interview with coding on a web whiteboard. After a little bit of conversation, he asked the coding question, below.

I passed this interview and was scheduled for the onsite in San Bruno which involved 5 hour-long interviews with a lunch break. I thought the first one went well, but the second one I forgot to check all the test cases. I was sent home after 2 interviews. I had to sign an NDA so I can't give the questions that I was asked onsite. Since I was done early, I had to hang out at the airport for 8 hours, in the terminal that had the worst food.

They book the flight and hotel, but I still haven't gotten reimbursed for my travel expenses.

Interview Questions

• Take a ladder with 5 steps, write a function that gives all the possible combinations of either 1,2, or 3 steps, in any order, to get to the 5th step, and returns the total number of combinations. So some of the possibilities would be [1,1,1,1,1], [1,1,1,2], [1,1,2,1], etc. Then he asked the same question with order not being considered, so [1,1,1,2] and [1,1,2,1] are the same solution.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce (San Bruno, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Recruiter contact through LinkedIn, followed by an initial screening and a couple of phone interviews, which included some basic algorithm questions, scalability, basic OO concepts and some very specific front-end questions (JS).

After these got scheduled for an onsite interview. While in the process, a different team expressed interest (Senior Software position), so I interviewed with both teams on the same day.

Team 1 interviews included a Data Scientist, the Hiring Manager and a Senior Engineer. Questions included understanding of front-end techniques and frameworks (JS, CSS, HTML), and some actual problems the team was dealing with.

Team 2 interviews included basic WS design, scalability and big data, concurrency and other OO concepts. A lunch interview at Walmart's cafe was also included. The interviewer was asking some though questions so it was pretty hard to enjoy lunch.

In general every single engineer working there was extremely friendly and helpful during questioning, with a single exception (the most senior guy interviewing me).

Walmart took care of setting up flights and hotel, and asked to save receipts for them to refund. The coordinators and recruiters handling the process were very professional and helpful and were very good at following up and providing timely updates.

In general Walmart seems to place more focus on specific technologies/techniques knowledge rather than looking for the skills the big players like Google and FB seek (general CS, algorithm and problem solving). The problem with these is that you either know or you don't - it's fairly hard to come up with an answer if you haven't been exposed to them before.

The impression I got is that right now is a good time to join the company - they are trying to rebuild their complete e-commerce infrastructure, so there's opportunities to work in projects from the early stages. Plus, at the scale Walmart demands, the challenge is certainly welcome by any software professional looking to take the next step.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

similar to google or amazon

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Interview process was great

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce in February 2015.

Interview

First contacted by recruiter with a questionnaire and asked to return as soon as possible. The questionnaire consisted of behavioral questions. Scheduled a technical round with hiring manager a week later. It was a webex. The interviewer has very knowledgeable and answered many questions about company,team and city at the end. I requested to give feedback early which he gladly did. The entire process was very quick . The offer was very competitive and I gladly accepted.

Interview Questions

• Databases, strings, design patterns ,resume and OOPs in technical round. HR round had behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce.

Interview

I asked my friend to refer me to that job, and receive the first phone interview in one month. In the first phone interview, firstly introduce yourself and your project experience, then they asked me about some basic concept about Java, like interface, abstract class, super(), this, OOP. After one week I got the second phone screen, asked me two coding questions, one is string, the other is linked list, one week later, got the onsite email.

Interview Questions

• As I applied for a java position, nothing is unexpected.   Answer Question