Walter Industries Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Walter Industries

Director - Accident Prevention Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Walter Industries (Birmingham, AL) in September 2012.

Interview

Conversational and task specific. Multiple interviews with various levels of the organization. Knowledgeable interviewers looking for specific skills and knowledge to become applied into the organization. Small group and Executive interviews as well as Department Leaders who understand the Safety function and are looking for someone who can relate to the mining community.

Interview Questions

• How would you implement a behavior based safety process?
      What type of Safety Management System would you envision and why?
      1 Answer

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Walter Industries (Birmingham, AL) in February 2011.

Interview

Very good process, met with potential supervisors and subordinates. Had several rounds of interviews on many different occasions and visited many of the company's facilities. Generally pleasant environment to visit. Nice building fairly new and modern and traffic was not that bad.

Maintenance Foreman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tumbler Ridge, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Walter Industries (Tumbler Ridge, BC (Canada)).

Interview

Seemed alright at first. Went down on short notice to interview which was quite informal. No difficult questions or operations I had not experienced. More of a site review.
    Met different personnel and given site tour. All seemed well and verbal job offer made with salary expectation. Found staff somewhat unprofessional and not all employees were happy with working there. Some verbally expressed their discontent about a toxic environment which raised red flags.
    Final meeting with Walter Energy representatives at local restaurant was rather strange. Almost as if they were manic depressant and decided to pepper me with questions rather than discuss future possibilities of the role. Had my doubts at this point as to the true nature of leadership and was confirmed when they retracted their verbal offer with a weak excuse. They also left me a nice memory by stiffing me my kilometers as well.
    Just wish they had been more professional, showed a little more respect, and lived up to their commitments of interview expenses.

Interview Questions

• None other than the odd occurrence at Diner in which they decided to ask pointed confrontational questions with a changed demeanor out of the blue.   1 Answer

Sample Assayer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tumbler Ridge, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Walter Industries (Tumbler Ridge, BC (Canada)) in June 2012.

Interview

Applied online. Got a call for an interview several months later. Went for an interview at the town office, followed by a drug test a few days later on site at the mine. Started work 2 weeks later (had to put notice in at previous job). The interview consisted of average questions, but can be intimidating as they will explain how difficult the job is and want to know if you can "handle it".

Interview Questions

• Have knowledge of what the "lab" at a mine site is actually like. Research if you need to.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, I was a taking a temporary position. Standard wage and full-time hours (6X6, 3 days and 3 nights of 12 hour shifts).