Washington State Department of Licensing Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 17, 2017

3.2

Regulatory Board Section Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olympia, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Washington State Department of Licensing (Olympia, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process began with an online application on careers.wa.gov. For me specifically, I leveraged a network relationship with Lonnie Spikes who works in the HR department in the Department of Licensing. I met Lonnie through the WA State Veterans Employment Resource Group (VERG). He gave me some advice on what to emphasize in my letter of interest. After about 2 weeks, I received a phone call from an administrative assistant in Business and Professions Division to schedule a panel interview. In our email exchange thereafter, I asked her for the names and job titles of the four panel members to support my interview preparations. The panel members consisted of the Real Estate Section Administrator (Jerry McDonald), the Professional License Support Services Assistant Administrator (Kathe McDaniel), the Regulatory Board Section Program Manager (Jill Short), and the Regulatory Board Section Customer Service Specialist (Jeanne Todd). I also asked Lonnie for the Position Description and organizational chart and received them before the day of my interview. I also did a reconnaissance of the building location and parking lot before the day of the interview.

On the day of the interview, I parked at the Highway-Licensing Building parking lot (metered) and checked in with the receptionist. After filing out some background check paperwork, Jerry McDonald (Real Estate Administrator) met me in the lobby and we walked 4 flight of stairs to the interview room. I was little winded when I sat down, but Kathe McDaniel (Asst. Administrator, Prof. Lic. Spt. Svcs.) provided me a cup of water. All the interviewers already had their own water bottles in front of them. I joked that I really needed that water after walking those stairs. They asked if Jerry offered me to take the elevator and I said that since Jerry already opened the door to the stairwell I felt I was already committed to taking the stairs. They laughed, so I felt it was a good icebreaker.

I sat long side of a small, rectangle table with the interviewers in front of me about 3 feet in front of me. From my left to right, sat Kathe, Jeanne Todd (RBS Cust. Svc Specialist), Jill Short (RBS Program Mgr.), and Jerry. The interview questions were on a sheet of paper in front of me and taped to the table.

Jerry opened up with explaining to me that this interview was to select the best 3 of 7 candidates to move forward for an interview with Kathleen Drew (Assistant Director, Business and Professions Division) and Jennifer Clawson (Deputy Assistant Director, Business and Professions Division). I was the first of 7 candidates to be interviewed and they were interviewing 4 candidates today.

Most of the conversing was among myself, Jerry and Kathe. I did my best to get conversation going with Jeanne and Jill during the interview, but they seemed to just ask questions and didn't verbally respond to my answers. Jerry did ask a question that wasn't on the paper in front of me. He was responding to something I said and wanted to know more about how I work with stakeholders and board members.

When it was time for me to ask questions, lots of conversing went on. I was able to get Jeanne and Jill to talk more freely. They explained to me challenges of all the employees in the section are temporarily displaced out of their building due to the discovery of toxic mold in the their building. It was in direct connection to managing employee expectations. I think I answered it well and shared a story about how I planned out the deliberate move of various work sections from one location to another while still conducting operations.

After the interview and signing out at the reception desk, I asked the receptionist if she would please deliver thank you cards for me. She said yes, so I went to my car and filled out thank you cards for 5 individuals (the interview panel, plus the admin asst. - Sarah Crawford). Sarah contacted me to set up the interview and Jerry told me to expect contact from Sarah within 1 week regarding the next interview schedule. On my way back into the building, I pasted Jill Short and said hi and it was great meeting her. I missed an opportunity to personally give her a thank you card.

One week later, I began calling my contacts at the Department of Licensing to ask if I was selected to move forward in the recruitment process. In a phone conversation with Lonnie, he alluded that there was one more candidate they wanted to interview before making a decision. The next day, I received an email from Jennifer Clawson let me know that I was not selected to move forward as a candidate.

Interview Questions

• Describe to me how my experience would align to this position.   Answer Question
    • How do I manage expectations of stakeholders and employees?   Answer Question
    • How do I keep all the stakeholders and employees going in the same direction?   Answer Question
    • If a question asking how to improve employee growth and learning was in an annual employee survey, how would I respond or support that in actions?   Answer Question
    • What are your questions of us?   Answer Question
    • Describe my leadership style.   Answer Question

EDL Licensing Services Representative I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bremerton, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Washington State Department of Licensing (Bremerton, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online (WA Careers) for the position located in Bremerton on May 13, 2016. I received an invitation for a phone interview via voicemail on May 30th for the following day.
    The phone interview was one on one with a woman from HR. She sounded very kind and the interview felt very relaxed. Her questions were basic. "What is your customer service philosophy?" as well as "What is your experience authenticating documents such as birth certificates and passports?" She also mentioned that the starting pay was firm and would not be negotiated.
    My current supervisor received a request for reference via e-mail on about June 2nd or 3rd and responded on June 6th. I received an invitation from HR via voicemail on that same day for an in-person interview followed by a confirmation by e-mail.
    On June 10th, I arrived at the DOL in Bremerton and was provided a list of interview questions to review 15 minutes prior to the interview.
    The supervisor promptly called my name and I was led back to an interview panel of three. Throughout the interview, they did not smile and they were difficult to read.
    I received a rejection e-mail from DOL on June 15th.

From application to rejection, it took a little over a month.

Interview Questions

• How did you arrive at your decision to apply for the Licensing Service Representative position?   Answer Question
    • Please describe five qualities of great customer service.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you had a challenging working relationship with a coworker or peer.   Answer Question
    • How would you manage a situation where a customer indicated you were treating them unfairly?   Answer Question
    • Please describe a time when you had to provide exceptional customer service with competing priorities.   Answer Question

Records Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Washington State Department of Licensing.

Interview

Multi-Group. Was over the phone. Lasted about 1 hour. the group seemed unorganized and repeated questions. It wasn't a bad interview, but I would have done better I think in person. So, if you can, do a face-to-face interview.

Interview Questions

• What have you done to promote records retention at your current job?
      Where do you see technology?
      Biggest mistake at work and how you fixed it?
      1 Answer

Customer Service Specialist IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Washington State Department of Licensing (Tacoma, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

They first sent out questionnaire to answer and then was told I would hear back of they wanted to have an in-person interview. Didn't hear back, so I emailed asking about the status and was informed interviews were already scheduled and clearly I was SOL. Oh well. It just took like a month and a half for them to get that far.

Interview Questions

• "This environment is a highly productive work environment, please explain how you balance your team meeting production standards along with keeping an engaged team and high morale."   Answer Question

ITS IV User Experience Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Washington State Department of Licensing (Olympia, WA) in June 2014.

Interview

Quick responses and process. Long interview which consisted of web writing tests, redesigning an existing page as well as the standard interview questions. You clearly had to know what you were talking about and had to demonstrate your abilities. Tests were monitored and timed.

Interview Questions

• What trends in web design do you see emerging in the next few years.   1 Answer

ITS6 Interview

Interview

The interview process is similar to others in the private. Usually 3 interviews - technical skills, soft skills, then final with execs.

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to work for us when you can make so much more outside?   Answer Question