Waste Management Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 3, 2018

2.7

Commercial Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Waste Management (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Phone interview, and another phone interview the following day, then an in person interview the day after that. I received a call 3 days later letting me know I got the job an to schedule my out of town training.

Interview Questions

• What was an unsafe situation at your previous employment and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Waste Management (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter and then a short test to see if you can type and communicate at the same time. Then I was asked in for a face to face interview.

Interview Questions

• Had interview with 2 other candidates which was strange because we took turns answering the same questions but overall this portion went well for me.   Answer Question
    • The had me sit with one of the CSA 's and I am sure I could do this job with my over 10 years experience.   Answer Question
    • The third part and most ridiculous it was sitting with a supervisor. She gave me a piece of paper to read. Then she went to the other room and called me on the phone to act like a customer. She talked while I was to fill in names, addresses, phone numbers and customer problems. Granted I had the paper but I didn't know the system and didn't have headphones while she expected me to fill in the blanks at a speed of someone familiar with their system. This is like being set up for failure. Very uncomfortable, and when I left she sarcastically wished me luck.   Answer Question

Recycling Facilities Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waste Management (Jacksonville, FL) in January 2016.

Interview

very long process and I felt very disgruntled as I have over 30 years experience in the field and could not get past a recruiter phone call. Ridiculous! I could have taught this "kid' recruiter things and here he was asking me questions!

Interview Questions

• All basic questions.. what would you do in this situations, how would you handle this?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Waste Management (Germantown, WI) in October 2015.

Interview

You had to apply online, then there was phone interview, three inperson interviews of which two of the hiring managers were not present. I waited more than 45 days to get answer in which no one called me, I called them and in which I was told that I did not get the position and to reapply in 6-12 months

Interview Questions

• What can you bring the company   1 Answer

Major Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lombard, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waste Management (Lombard, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

It was horrible. The recruiter had it in his mind that I was not a good fit from the start no matter how much I explained my experience would equate to the role. I really wish I would have been allowed to speak to someone else or interview in person.

Route Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Waste Management (San Diego, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I approached the interview very unprepared. I thought it was going to be an explanatory thing from the recruiter and didn't realize it was an interview. I was referred to the recruiter by an employment agency who just said to call this person. I wasn't very interested in the position and misunderstood the employment agencies recommendation.

Interview Questions

• If I had researched the company and position   1 Answer

Route Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Waste Management (Charlotte, NC) in May 2010.

Interview

I was recruited by head hunter. Interviewed by GM and Market Area Rep .for 6 hours. Sometime one at a time, sometimes they tag-teamed against me. The intent was to see how I reacted under stress.

Interview Questions

• The difficulty lies in the fact that the interview went on so long and was stressfull. They were looking to see if I could handle the stress and being overwhelmed by their demands   8 Answers

Negotiation

Yes I was able to negotiate and we agreed on my wages and benefits.. Then at the last minute, they changed everything knowing I had already put in my notice.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Waste Management (Houston, TX) in September 2010.

Interview

Initially spoke with the internal HR recruiter. The interview process consisted of two face to face interviews and a panel interview. The first interview was with the hiring manager & project manager. Aside from discussing my general project experience, I was also asked "the Google questions". I was also asked to whiteboard one of them. The second interview was with the VP. I was also asked a few more "Google questions". The third interview was a panel interview with the senior leadership team. This consisted of the CIO and several IT VPs.

Advice: Review "the Google questions. This was the first time I was asked them, but I was prepared. Present yourself confidently. They are reading you, and may want to see how you react under pressure. Accept that, and try to understand why they ask the questions they do. The IT department is fast paced, competitive, and can be high pressure.

The work culture in IT is the epitome of corporate America. The people are smart, well educated, and competitive. Many people work 50+ hrs a week, year round.

Interview Questions

• Why is a manhole round?   1 Answer
    • How much does a 747 weigh at take off?   2 Answers
    • How many windows are there in downtown Houston?   Answer Question
    • If I hired you, what would I like the least about you?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation was minimal. Pay is OK, but not great. Bonus percentage is high. My advice is to only accept the offer, if it is what you are looking for. Although raises & promotions are possible, nothing comes overnight.

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pompano Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Waste Management (Pompano Beach, FL) in November 2011.

Interview

After applying online, it took a couple of weeks for a telephone interview with an HR person from headquarters in TX. Subsequent to that I was scheduled for an in-person panel interview with 3 senior executives: Regional Sourcing Manager, VP Controller and Purchasing Director for the region. I found it to be the most intimidating and diffucult interview I have ever had. Difficult questions were asked, mostly pertaining to how to deal with personality conflicts and difficult people. My impression is that this particular Purchasing manager was very difficult to work with. He was cagey about compensation, only offering up that his people were "well compensated" but worked "very very hard." I came away from the interview with an unfavorable impression of the workplace there and was not surprised that the position was filled by another applicant.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were in disagreement with how something was done at a workplace and how did you deal with it? Did you go along with it or voice your opinion?   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with difficult people inside the office as well as customers?   Answer Question

Major Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Waste Management (Oklahoma City, OK) in September 2017.

Interview

(Week 1) I initially applied for the position through a LinkedIn posting. About a week later I received an e-mail from one of the Recruiters wanting to schedule a phone call later in the week.
    (Week 2) The initial call lasted about 20-30 minutes. The questions were mostly standard fare, and the conversation seemed to go very well. At the end of the call, the Recruiter said that they were going to schedule a call with the Regional Director within the next two weeks.
    (Week 4) Two weeks later I completed the call with the Regional Director/Manager and the call lasted about an hour. Again, pretty standard questions, but the conversation seemed to flow very well. At the end of the call, they said that they would give their feedback to the Recruiter that I had been working with and based on that feedback, I would then be moved to the next round of the process.

(Week 5) I received an e-mail letting me know that I needed to complete an online personality questionnaire provided through a 3rd party company. The quiz took about an hour and consisted of 185 questions!

(Week 6) I was told that I would be scheduled to do a face to face interview with the Regional Director/Manager that I spoke with, one of the Facility Managers, one of the other department Managers, and a company trainer. The meeting lasted about an hour and seemed to go really well.

(Week 7) I received a phone call letting me know that they selected the other candidate.