Waste Management Route Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Waste Management Route Manager Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2016

3.2

Route Manager Interview

Interview

Applied on a Friday and received a phone call that following Monday for a phone interview. Got called back that same day to setup an in person. Interview with district operations manager and senior route manager, both very nice guys. Told during that interview I was moving onto 2nd interview, which I did. 2nd interview was with district operations manager, manager of district operations, and hiring manager. Interview went very well, don't think the manager of district operations liked my background. It's been about a week and haven't heard anything, which I assume I didn't receive the job. Not an overall bad process, just wish they would tell you one way or the other. The one thing that has me worried is that there are 2 openings for route managers. The former residential route manager I saw went to another waste company, something doesn't add up as to why 2 people left at the same time commercial and residential. The interview process was a little difficult but the interviewers were very professional and would try again if the opportunity presents itself.

Interview Questions

• In regards to safety, what do you think is the most important aspect.   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Waste Management

Route Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Waste Management.

Interview

Typical STARS format interview. All interviews with WM are conducted this way. Usually the hiring manager is accompanied by a HR manager who has no clue what the actual job you are interviewing for entails.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to present your employees with information you knew they would not like   3 Answers

Route Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Waste Management.

Interview

Contacted via phone for initial screening, call went very well. Caller scheduled a one-on-one interview with hiring manager. That interview also went well; hiring manager was friendly, offered good amount of substantive information about the role and company. Also stated pay range higher than I anticipated for the role. Hiring manager had to ask certain questions from a form, write down my answers. Told it would be roughly a month until decision made as pool of candidates had to be assembled, assured I would be informed throughout process. I never heard from the company again, despite being told my skills and experience were what they were seeking for the role.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you went out of your way to help a co-worker.   1 Answer

Route Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Waste Management.

Interview

Process involved a comprehensive phone interview, meeting with hiring manager that included set of stock questions manager apparently was required to ask and record. Recruiter and hiring manager were both cordial, informative. After applying I received an email encouraging me to check in on the status of the job offer, and was told flatly I would be informed of the results of the hiring process. Despite following directions and checking in to advise of my continued interest, I never again heard from the potential employer, and eventually saw the job removed as available.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you went out of your way to help a co-worker.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Waste Management (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

I completed a total of 5 interviews for this one position. First was with a corporate recruiter, then the Sr. District Manager with the location that I would have been working. I was told that they decided to move forward with other candidates. Then the recruiter called me back about a month later and said that the Sr. DM was no longer there and she wanted me to interview with the new one. So I interviewed with another DM at another location while they were still selecting the new DM for the hiring location. I then interviewed with the new DM about a week later. He moved me forward to interview with 3 Route managers about a week later. He said he wanted to see how well they liked me or would get along with me. I guess that didn't go well because I didn't get the job. I was contacted by the recruiter about a week later stating that they are moving forward with candidates that they feel meets their needs. So I guess it took them 5 interviews with me to determine that I was not what they were looking for. OK.

Interview Questions

• The first two interviews where STAR interview questions. The next 3, where more of an open discussion. Take me through your resume and tell us about your experience type of interview.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Waste Management (San Diego, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I approached the interview very unprepared. I thought it was going to be an explanatory thing from the recruiter and didn't realize it was an interview. I was referred to the recruiter by an employment agency who just said to call this person. I wasn't very interested in the position and misunderstood the employment agencies recommendation.

Interview Questions

• If I had researched the company and position   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Waste Management (Albany, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted within two hours of posting my resume online. I completed a telephone screening a few days later and then a formal interview the following week. The interview was conducted by five people: my would-be direct supervisor, one HR person, and three current Route Managers. We had a very thorough conversation about the company and what would be expected of me as well as my personal work history. I felt really good about it when I left but ultimately did not get a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when communication was paramount to successfully reaching a goal.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reserve, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waste Management (Reserve, LA) in May 2015.

Interview

Job was explained thoroughly. Everything was made clear. Went great. The duties were explained fully. Compansation was discussed and it was very good. The entire process was professionally handled. Would recommend this company to anyone. The benefits were great. Car, Phone and good salary was part of the package. Would have been willing to work with any offer that would have been made.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to wait for promotions.   2 Answers

Route Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waste Management in February 2015.

Interview

2 interviews during a period of 2 months in early 2015. The interviewers were hiring for only 1 manager at their location. I was not given an offer, but confused when I saw the job was still being posted months later. I felt my experience interviewing with the company was a waste of time and wish they would have been straight forward after my first interview with them. I'm not sure if they were really trying to fill a position or get information to help their business.

Interview Questions

• Questions asked around situation problems you may encounter working in transportation.   Answer Question

Route Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waste Management.

Interview

Applied online. phone interview followed by in person interview several days later. background check and drug screen with contingent over depending on results. Poor communication between steps but quick follow-up once process was completed.

Negotiation

Very little to negotiate