Wayfair Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Wayfair Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2017

2.8

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair in January 2017.

Interview

My interviewer was easy-going and understanding!

She started with an introduction to her job and interests, then asked about my interests, favorite course, why Wayfair, and some behaviorial questions about working in teams.
    Then, we moved onto some short verbal technical questions about OO, abstract classes, networking, and quickly moved onto the coding questions. I talked through what I was thinking, then wrote it out - not worrying TOO much about syntax.

We ended with some general questions I had about her team and easy conversation before concluding with next steps!

** I actually haven't heard back yet but I put the outcome as Yes for now

Interview Questions

• few simple string/list manipulation problems and sql joins/count problems   Answer Question

Warehouse Manager Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Wayfair (Grapevine, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and recieved an email from the hiring manager in Boston within a week. I then did a quick 15min phone interview. The next day I met the warehouse manager where I would be working. The interview was a little over 1 hour long and I was introduced to everyone I would be working with. Also they were very detailed on the day to day tasks that would need to be performed.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      Will you be able to manage and motivate people in person?
      When was a time that you had to discipline an employee?
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiter called for a 30 minute interview about my resume and explained about the company. I was sent a coding exercise and was asked to submit a code sample.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone screen with HR, followed by a 1:1 phone screen with a manager, then a 5 hour in-person interview with managers and data scientists. Took roughly three weeks and HR said they would schedule the 1:1 by the next day but it took a week to schedule it.

Interview Questions

• In a condescending tone, why do you think you can be a data scientist?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Wayfair (Cambridge, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

It was an 30 minutes on-campus interview. The interviewer asked me to go through my resume and asked me to describe the projects I did. In the end, he explained what the daily work was like for this position.

Interview Questions

• Go deep into my projects. Explain why I chose particular methods and solve particular questions in the projects   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Wayfair in January 2017.

Interview

Initial interview: ~30 minute phone interview with recruiter, with an opportunity for you to ask questions at the end. Interview is easy to set up. Recruiter provides a link to a website where you can pick a date and time for the recruiter to call you.

Discussed past experience, why you want to work for Wayfair, etc. No brainteasers or anything of that nature. A few things I learned from the interview: (1) you're not interviewing for a specific position, per se--the recruiter collects your information and then based on that, sees what openings are a good fit for you, (2) there's a big emphasis on data analysis skills (e.g., Excel, SQL). At least in the intitial interview, there are no questions like "tell me what VLOOKUP does" to test your skill level.

They do let you know fairly quickly (via email, in my case) what the interview result is.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you can articulate why you want to work for Wayfair   Answer Question
    • Standard questions about your past experience - make sure you can articulate what you're good at   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA).

Interview

Got contacted about a week after I applied. So far I've had two phone interviews both about 45 minutes in length. The first one was with their recruiter asked question about my resume. The second was with a member of the analytics team and similar to the first but included a small business case study.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a past project that you have worked on and how you overcame any obstacles.   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Wayfair (New York, NY).

Interview

three interviewers, where each talked for about 45 mins. Two of them asked mostly behavioral questions and the third did a case about the company's search feature. Most of the behavioral questions were the typical ones like: why wayfair, why should I hire you, etc, but you should also expect some curve balls.

Interview Questions

• How can you improve the search experience for our customers?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Wayfair (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Got an email from Technical Recruiter asking for phone screen after referral from a university networking event from one of highly placed employee in Wayfair. Call scheduled at 2 PM for a week later date. Nature of the interview not informed even after I specifically asked about it (which is understandable). At 1:45 PM on scheduled interview date (15 minutes prior to scheduled phone call time), the Recruiter emails me saying "I just noticed your graduation date is five months ahead from now and our requirement is immediate; hence no need for conducting this interview. All the best for your job search". I made sure to informed the recruiter of my ability to start immediately given only one online coursework I'll have in those five months. Got a reply from him after around couple of hours and scheduled an interview the next day 11:30 AM.

Interview Questions

• Recruiter started off by telling that Wayfair labs is a 3 months program and asked if it satisfies course credit requirements. Further asked knowing it is a 3 months program whether I'm still interested in going for it.

Told me about few things about Waifair labs positions and how they function.

Asked basic question about my internship project, answer of which was interrupted in between.

Asked about my talk with Wayfair employee at the networking event (which, by the way, was very interesting).

Asked if I had any questions. But the recruiter wrapped the call up after hurriedly answering my 2nd question (which was "what is expected from an ideal candidate?") and assuring to get back in 2 working days.
      Answer Question

Pricing and Profitability Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in December 2016.

Interview

The phone screening lasted about 30 min and was mainly about my resume. They asked about the analytical parts of your resume. The second round consisted of a case study (45 min) and a behavior/fit question (45 min). The case study is not a consulting case study, but more like understanding graphs. There were three graphs, each about a brand (coffee maker, coffee filters, something else non-related). The graphs contained sales and price of in 2016. They asked whether the pricing cutting strategy is effective. They gave you an Excel and expect you to conduct basic Excel operation to figure out the answer.

Interview Questions

• Behavior/fit: what do you think is the best and worst price cutting strategy in Black Fridays Sales? What are examples of the incremental costs for a firm?   Answer Question