Wayfair Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Wayfair Interview Questions

Updated Feb 25, 2017

2.8

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Wayfair in November 2016.

Interview

Phone Screening with HR first. After that there was a coding challenge through coderpad where you have 24 hours to complete it. Then you have a final round interview with an engineer and with a hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of negative and positive integers sort it so negatives are on the left and positives are on the right while preserving order. Random sampling. Check a string for matching brackets.   Answer Question

Senior Inventory Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Wayfair (Cleveland, OH) in November 2016.

Interview

After applying I received an email from HR wanting to schedule a time to talk about the position. The call lasted about 30 minutes and she was very helpful in explaining the position, pay, etc. She also recommended another job that I qualified for. After forwarding my resume to the two hiring managers she emailed me back immediately wanting to schedule an interview with them. The following week I had a 45 minute phone interview with both managers and it went really well. There were questions from both sides and conversation flowed very well, so I thought that I would hear back quickly about the next step, I was wrong. It has been almost 2 weeks since that interview and I have not heard a single word back. I have emailed the HR representative thanking her for arranging the interview and that if there were any other questions to let me know. Nothing, not a peep. I understand there has been a holiday since my interview but the nice thing to do would be at least respond to my emails. I took time to speak to them more than once so at least they could do is tell me yes or no. It would be nice just to know either way at this point.

Interview Questions

• The basic questions about what you do and where do you want to be. Very standard.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

First had a call with recruiter who asks basic questions to see if you fit . Next you get to work on a coding problem for 24 hours.If you clear that you get to hop on a call with a senior software engineer for the final decision. The call was decent, it was one of the easiest interview call anyone could attend - simple leetcode question .Solvable with 2 lines of code. The major drawback was them asking about PHP and asking questions with regards to that. As a developer they should be looking for talent who can solve real world problem and think big instead they want you debugging PHP code which is not worth the interview time . As a graduate I would def like more challenge in an interview because for me the way the company interviews reflects the standard of them so in this case it was very poor.

Interview Questions

• Debug PHP , some random coding question( not challenging )   Answer Question

Content Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair (Ogden, UT) in November 2016.

Interview

I was first contacted by one of Wayfair's recruiters who was very upbeat, polite, and positive.
    After speaking with her I had two additional interviews--one with my manager and one with three managers.
    They were always very kind, upbeat, and never made me feel too nervous.
    I don't remember all of the questions, sorry.

Interview Questions

• Describe the process for designing content.   1 Answer
    • How do you handle a task that contains many tasks associated with it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There really wasn't much of one. I wish I had negotiated more.

IT Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA).

Interview

Totally convoluted; the recruiter I worked with couldn't answer most of my pretty basic questions, and didn't listen to a word I said in terms of my availability, scheduling on the one specific day I said I was unavailable on...

The hiring managers quizzed me on technical questions that were more about abreviations than skills, so I did not perform as well as I could have in a technical interview...and then they gave me feedback that my technical skills weren't strong enough...after asking me zero technical questions.

All in all, this wasn't a great experience; it gave me exposure to how these kinds of companies work on he inside, and I'm much more impressed with the company I ended up accepting a very generous offer from.

I knew what I was getting into going in thanks to Glassdoor, this was my safety. Thankfully I got offered my reach in the end.

Interview Questions

• What does DHCP stand for and what does it do?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Wayfair in October 2016.

Interview

Friendly conversation with HR, then a on-line technical interview. The person conducting the technical interview seemed very irritated. It seemed like they just wanted to get the process over with and get off of the phone.
    Most of the "technical" questions were very first year computer science questions.
    The code test was to write a function that would compare two strings to see if they were anagrams of each other without using any libraries.

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Wayfair in October 2016.

Interview

I applied on my university's job board and was contacted by a recruiter a week later. Then set up a Skype interview then 3 rounds of onsite interviews. The Skype interview is about how to measure / boost incremental revenue and then a case to calculate the conversion rate needed (same as someone's post here). Onsite interviews include 2 technical ones and 1 behavioural. One technical is similar to the skype interview with a case and some simple calculations. The other one is a 9-step predictive model involving level, season, and trend effects. You need to figure the model out in 25 minutes and explain what each step is doing.

Interview Questions

• If given full permission, what are some things or projects you'd like to dive into at Wayfair?   Answer Question
    • Where did you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Algorithms Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview with an in-house recruiter and then one with a team member.

The phone interview with the in-house recruiter was about my background, general interest, and experience with programming languages. I was asked about my salary expectations.

On the other hand, the phone interview with the team member went more into depth about projects I have worked in as well as what the unit I applied to did.

Interview Questions

• Describe in detail a data science project you were involved in and what was your contribution. How well did that project perform.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair in October 2016.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen with the recruiter that discussed basic technological experience as well as a few behavioral questions.

The next round was an online coding challenge. There wasn't a time limit on this one.

After that there was a technical interview over the phone with coderpad.

Following the technical phone interview there was a behavioral interview with the manager of the program.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to work through difficulties with another person.   Answer Question

Frontline Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA).

Interview

Solid.

It's a three part interview, the initial phone screen is with HR and lasts 15-30 minutes.

The second phone screen is a 30 minute interview with the direct manager of the department you apply to. You talk about your past history and strengths along what you can bring to the table. You must answer why you want to work at Wayfair (think about this one, very hard) and what your long term goals are. They really get you thinking.

Third part is a 2 hour in person interview, in which you're asked similar questions to your second phone screen for consistency, you're asked technical questions related to your department (in my case, help desk). And you're given several what-if scenarios to gauge your train of thought.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe the process of looking up a table in a SQL Server database?   1 Answer