Wayfair Junior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Wayfair Junior Software Engineer Interview Questions

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

3 steps to the interview process: 1. initial background/skills conversation with a recruiter, 2. send a project you worked on to them, 3. technical phone real-time coding. I completed all steps, and the interviewer said they'd get me a reply "soon." 1 week passed and I hadn't gotten any word, so I emailed the initial interviewer, and she said they had a "delay in getting interview information from the interview team" so she'd get me a reply "tomorrow." It's been 3 weeks, and no word from her again. It was pleasant up until the final results. I'm disappointed by the company's attitude and will not seek a job from them again.

Interview Questions

• Array sorting question, similar to Dutch flag. Make all possible combinations of words in a vector without recursion. Repeated questions from past interviews that were listed on Glassdoor, so helped a lot!   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Wayfair

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in September 2015.

Interview

One phone call where you answer some simple optimization and SQL questions. Then send coding samples (I used PHP as my programming language) and finally live coding interview where you will have an hour to answer two simple questions.

Interview Questions

• Phone call : How can you improve the speed of a site? What is the difference between an inner and outer join.
      Coding sample: Some simple PHP code.   Answer Question

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair.

Interview

I applied and then within a day or two they emailed me back. They first asked me a couple of questions to get an understanding of how thoroughly I understood web development. They then asked for a sample of work so I sent in a project that I had developed a year earlier. They then asked me to complete a problem in Java, which I did within a day. After that, I had a coding interview where they asked me to write code while they looked on in a collaborative coding site. I didn't do very well because of a lack of sleep and they did not pursue any further. They seemed fair and their questions weren't very hard. My main problem was coding on a lack of sleep and talking out my problems, as it was my first or second interview right out of college.

Interview Questions

• How I would speed up a web application and the difference between an inner and outer join in SQL   1 Answer

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

First I was contacted by the recruiter who asked basic recruiter questions about my education and past work experiences. Then a phone interview was set up with a senior software engineer a couple days later. First of all the interviewer had a very strong accent which was hard to understand and I had to ask him to repeat several of the questions. The first question was what happens when you enter a url into the browser. The next question was about socket communication protocol. The last 3 or 4 questions all had to do with SQL. The SQL questions were usually pretty long. Make sure you have a notepad on hand to write down the question so you don't have to keep asking him to repeat it.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was particularly difficult but there were a lot of SQL questions which I was unprepared for. Make sure you brush up on your SQL.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA).

Interview

Hiring process was very straightforward. The recruiter is very nice and she was very helpful at helping negotiate salary. My first convo was with her. Then she invited me over to a onsite interview, which laster 2 hours. The first hour was about fit and personality. That was very chill. The second hour was very technical in nature and consisted of a lot of algorithmic questions and object oriented design principles. Be prepared to code on the whiteboard and know your data structures well!

Interview Questions

• How would you design a spreadsheet? Implement some of the code on the whiteboard   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation took about a day. Recruiter called me the next day after the interview to make an offer, which was lower than I expected so I made a counteroffer. She called me back to talk about the counteroffer and we settled on a number in the middle. The recruiter spoke with the hiring manager about the numbers and called again and said that I would get it.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA).

Interview

Out of state interviews consist of an initial phone screening. Then a more technical interview over Skype and finally an in person interview that lasts about 2 hours. Included will be questions about ones background as well as well technical questions and logic puzzles. In the onsite interview you will speak with a panel of managers.

Interview Questions

• They will ask questions about how one would right certain database queries as well as various logic puzzles   Answer Question

Negotiation

They wont budge on their initial offer, even if you have other competing offers.

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

on-phone interview with an HR