Wayfair Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Wayfair Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 22, 2017

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair.

Interview

They initially called just to ask about my background, previous projects, why I applied to Wayfair, and other general phone screen questions. The following technical interview had a lot of general knowledge questions, followed by a SQL query and a couple coding questions. Both interviewers were very nice and helpful throughout the process.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Wayfair

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiter called for a 30 minute interview about my resume and explained about the company. I was sent a coding exercise and was asked to submit a code sample.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Wayfair (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Got an email from Technical Recruiter asking for phone screen after referral from a university networking event from one of highly placed employee in Wayfair. Call scheduled at 2 PM for a week later date. Nature of the interview not informed even after I specifically asked about it (which is understandable). At 1:45 PM on scheduled interview date (15 minutes prior to scheduled phone call time), the Recruiter emails me saying "I just noticed your graduation date is five months ahead from now and our requirement is immediate; hence no need for conducting this interview. All the best for your job search". I made sure to informed the recruiter of my ability to start immediately given only one online coursework I'll have in those five months. Got a reply from him after around couple of hours and scheduled an interview the next day 11:30 AM.

Interview Questions

• Recruiter started off by telling that Wayfair labs is a 3 months program and asked if it satisfies course credit requirements. Further asked knowing it is a 3 months program whether I'm still interested in going for it.

Told me about few things about Waifair labs positions and how they function.

Asked basic question about my internship project, answer of which was interrupted in between.

Asked about my talk with Wayfair employee at the networking event (which, by the way, was very interesting).

Asked if I had any questions. But the recruiter wrapped the call up after hurriedly answering my 2nd question (which was "what is expected from an ideal candidate?") and assuring to get back in 2 working days.
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Wayfair.

Interview

Started with an internal referral. Soon thereafter, a standard call from a recruiter leading to an online coding challenge. Upon successfully completing that, was invited to a phone interview with a developer where we discussed the assignment code and moved onto solving a few more standard problems using a collaborative online editor.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

The first step was a friendly call from recruiter to discuss background, experience, job description and salary expectation. After that, there was a coding challenge to be completed in an online editor within 24hrs (no time limit) in any language that you choose and also wanted me to send any of my code samples with a simple description of the code. After successfully finishing the coding challenge, there was a technical interview with a senior software engineer. Finally, a cultural fit evaluation interview with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Simple SQL queries, basic TCP/IP questions, programming questions with strings and arrays, going through my resume, and behavioral questions such as what made you apply to Wayfair? What makes you a good fit? etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Wayfair in October 2016.

Interview

Friendly conversation with HR, then a on-line technical interview. The person conducting the technical interview seemed very irritated. It seemed like they just wanted to get the process over with and get off of the phone.
    Most of the "technical" questions were very first year computer science questions.
    The code test was to write a function that would compare two strings to see if they were anagrams of each other without using any libraries.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair in October 2016.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen with the recruiter that discussed basic technological experience as well as a few behavioral questions.

The next round was an online coding challenge. There wasn't a time limit on this one.

After that there was a technical interview over the phone with coderpad.

Following the technical phone interview there was a behavioral interview with the manager of the program.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to work through difficulties with another person.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

Interviewers were nice. The first recruiter checked my background, asked couple questions. Couple days after, they connected me with one of their engineer to ask me technical questions. The process took about a week.

Interview Questions

• Tell me when you had difficulties to work with other people.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Ames, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair (Ames, IA) in October 2016.

Interview

I got an email from the recruiter first asking me to scheduling a phone interview. behavior questions were asked. After that was a online coding problem with 20hrs limit. The third round was a technical interview with their engineer.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Wayfair.

Interview

Getting to the interview was fairly easy. The online application was intuitive and straightforward. A couple weeks had passed before I was invited to a skype interview.

The interview itself was great. My interviewer was very nice and easy to talk to. The personality component went by really quickly, and the technical interview (which was done during the same meeting, but using some online platform) was quicker than expected. The technical interview was only really to see how I thought rather than what I knew.

I wasn't given an offer, but the way I had to find out was slightly annoying (when compared to the rest of the process, this was the worst part by far). After I had thanked them for their time during the interview, I had to follow up several times by email to determine if I had the position or not. Only after my third email did they tell me I did not have the spot. It's unclear as to whether or not they would have emailed me in the first place, which would be upsetting if they didn't.

Interview Questions

• Write a small program that checks for matching brackets. For example, the program would return true if it were given "( ( { ( { [ ] } ) } ) )" where all brackets pair correctly as they would in a program, and return false for something like "( ( [ ] )" or "( [ ) ]".   2 Answers