WeWork Interview Questions | Glassdoor

WeWork Interview Questions

Interviews at WeWork

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at WeWork (New York, NY) in August 2019.

Interview

Initial internal recruiter phone call for about 20 minutes. Standard confirming of experience. Describe your recent background. Recruiter describes company, how teams are split up, etc. Describes the interview process, and that a technical phone screen is next, followed by potential onsite consisting of 4-6 ppl. Nothing unusual.

Technical phone screen was with an engineer and shared coding tool online. Engineer first asked about experience, and after speaking about it in detail for about a minute, he had absolutely no follow up remarks besides "ok". Now let's jump into code. Which is my pet peeve for annoying interviews that care nothing about the candidate or experience or any human aspect and only about solving the upcoming problem in a certain way.

Problem itself was not super complicated. A very specific set of requirements of the algorithm was predefined, and you're given a blank slate to implement it. He mentioned a 30 minute time limit and to talk as you do. It could probably be coded in 15 if you're efficient. The real trouble I had was working in the online coding tool, which was not a native IDE normally used to write code. Sort of expected for "white boarding", but no code-completion, code tips, etc is harder to freehand than I remember. The code needed to compile and run, so I often found myself testing syntax a lot that would have taken seconds to write in the normal IDE. The interviewer said almost nothing for 30 minutes, a few words here or there, but no discussion. Overall I got about 98% of the way to completing the question, but got stuck on a simple function I couldn't get to work in this online coding tool to tie it together and print the solution. It would have been trivial in the IDE, but for some reason kept getting errors in the tool. I would have expected the interviewer to just offer a tip to get around it, but the interview ultimately was about getting an optimal solution with no tips in the allotted time, using this annoying code tool. Time ended, I told him the trivial step it would take to finish, and that was it.

Perhaps they needed that perfect working solution without exception. Perhaps I got hung up on solving the problem in the obvious manner that I missed some optimal shortcut I was supposed to find to actually pass this challenge.

Generic email arrived 2 days later thanking me, but passing on next steps.

Interview Questions

• Implement credit card validation algorithm with the steps clearly described.   Answer Question

Senior Test Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at WeWork (New York, NY) in August 2019.

Interview

I am very well aligned for the job according to the description. 100% match on skills desired, industry veteran who has already built entire test teams and enterprise wide systems on multiple occasions, fit well within the salary estimates on GlassDoor. LinkedIn showed me as top 10% of candidates as well.

The first attempt at submission didn't make it past the automated resume review. O.k., that happens. Honed it up and tried again, managed to finally get a phone screen.

The screener was very accomodating - I was traveling internationally, and my schedule was a bit chaotic, but we were able to connect and conduct the screen. It went quite well, as far as I could discern. We talked about my previous and current work, and it definitely seemed like there would be forward movement, as we talked about dates when I would be available and how travel arrangements would be worked out for physical interviews.

2 days later I got an automated rejection email. No reasons given (pretty much the norm these days, I guess), but surprising in that I was a definite and willing fit for the organization who could make things happen quickly.

One thing that did make me feel that there wasn't a solid process in place - there was mention of a 'leet code' session. I'm very leery of those as a gate for manager positions, it indicates to me that the company is not really thinking about the needs and requirements of a managerial position, especially at the senior level. Yes, it's important to know that the candidate can stand up to technical requirements, but a simple review of code on Git or a demonstration of past work is WAY more valuable than being able to whip up routines to reverse a string or insert into a singly linked list (save those for college hires).

Interview Questions

• What % of the time do you currently spend coding?   1 Answer

Community Lead, Operations Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at WeWork in August 2019.

Interview

This was an incredibly long process for the position. I was recommended by a connection for the role and was sent the link to apply (didn't seem any different than applying directly from the website).

About two weeks later they reached out about doing a 30 minute call with a recruiter - this was very friendly & pretty casual and the recruiter immediately said she wanted to have me do another round.

I worked with her coordinator to set up a 30 video call with a local Community Manager to further discuss the position that next week. This call was a bit more directly about the role & also allowed for the opportunity to ask more specific questions - though not too many as it was only 30 minutes.

It took them about a week to get back to me about this interview and then scheduled a 1.5 hour on site visit. I didn't love this part of the interview - I talked to 4 different people and did so many little laps of the building it was hard to keep a train of thought / come up with somewhat original responses for each. Most of it was also done in the common spaces of the building which really made the whole interview feel like a fishbowl.

Another week later and they got back to me to invite me to what I understood was the last round of interviews. This was another 30 minute video call with two community directors in the area - I was told part way into the call that another higher-up would be joining to shadow. This was all a lot for a 30 minute call and ended up feeling like rapid fire questions in such a short amount of time.

It again, took them about a week to come to a decision and I was informed they were moving forward with other candidates. I didn't even ask but they put in the email that they do not have any feedback for me which felt a little abrasive. Made me think it might be more situational why I wasn't hired. All in all it was a very long, emotionally exhausting process & though I think its for the best that was a lot of work for a rejection.

Interview Questions

• How do you give feedback? Give a specific example.   Answer Question
    • What from your current role do you hope to move away from in your new role?   Answer Question
    • Why are you excited about this role?   Answer Question
    • Can you speak to your experience reducing operational expenses?   Answer Question

Technology Communications Senior Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at WeWork (San Francisco, CA) in August 2019.

Interview

1 . Phone Screen
    2. Interview with hiring manager
    3. Project (build a media list and plan for their CTO)

After I submitted my project they never got back to me and would give me false timelines whenever I asked for an update. All I can assume is that this was a fake role and they were sourcing free work from candidates. Very upsetting given I spent an entire Sunday working on the media list. If plans change you need to tell candidates rather then just ghosting them.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at WeWork (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Very positive experience . They kept me very well informed throughout the entire process. I had 4 rounds of interviews with 3rd one being a presentation to a big team of people

Interview Questions

• I had an interesting case study as part of interview.   1 Answer

Community Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at WeWork (Washington, DC) in July 2019.

Interview

The process was extremely easy for me. I applied online on a Friday and the same day I got a request for a phone interview, which I had scheduled for the following Monday. I chatted with a recruiter which asked questions based on my resume and my previous experience. The interview was very relaxed and a lot of fun so it was more like more talking with a friend about my previous work experience. At the end of the phone interview I was invited to attend a mixer which basically was just for a group interview with myself and a few other people (about 3-4 others) the following week.

Interview Questions

• How did you find out about WeWork?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time that you planned an event and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Most questions were based on my previous experience and how it has prepared me for this role.   Answer Question

Community Lead Interview

Interview

Standard recruitment process. Apply. Phone interview. On site interview. Follow up call. I believe the recruiter is overworked, based on his responsiveness to emails and questions. He was kind and professional.

Senior Project Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at WeWork (New York, NY) in July 2019.

Interview

I received an e-mail from one of their recruiters. Spoke with her for a brief 15 minute phone screen. Two weeks later, I was asked to schedule a video interview with one of their finance directors, which was then canceled the morning of. Nice touch. Then I was asked to come in for what they referred to as an "interview superday" (i thought this term was exclusive to investment banks but what do i know).

They essentially stuck me in a room for an hour and a half where I met with three separate individuals for a half an hour each. None of the people i interviewed with were a part of the department for the role I was being considered for. I'm sorry, I understand the need to get feedback from other people you might interact with, but this is a really dumb strategy in my opinion. And it showed when i started asking simple questions about the role, day to day responsibilities, the structure of the department. They had no idea and to their credit they were honest about not knowing anything.

One of the people I interviewed with was hired 3 months prior. I asked him if he would go back to his old job if he could. He said yes, which is never a good sign. Lol.

My suggestion- Don't buy the hype. WeWork has insanely good marketing, which is the only reason they get so much notoriety. But behind the scenes, it's a disorganized hot mess.

The only reason i'm going neutral with the review, is because they served me fruit water which was ice cold and actually quite good.

Interview Questions

• Are you interested in stepping into an unstructured environment and defining your own role?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at WeWork (San Francisco, CA) in July 2019.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me and 2 weeks later had a call with the recruiter. After the call she said she would be checking my profile with the hiring manager. Then did not hear back for another 4 weeks. Then they emailed me saying they would like to have a technical phone round. During the phone screen the first 25 minutes the interviewer asked me by work background and the projects that I'm working on. Then I got this stupid long 'Tag validator' problem. This is not a tough program to write, but is time consuming and lengthy. It really does not test your intelligence. I did manage to write few things, but the interviewer was expecting me to have a runnable code. The interviewer seemed very un professional as I could hear her busy typing and when I was talking through what I was coding up she would not acknowledge to what I was saying. Never hinting if I was doing it the right way or not. I felt she was completely dis engaged.
    Never interviewing with such a company anymore.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at WeWork (New York, NY) in July 2019.

Interview

4 steps:

1. An introductory conversation with the recruiter that covered some technical experience.
    2. A technical phone screen.
    3. A take-home coding challenge.
    4. On-site for six hours of behavioral and technical questions.

I made it to the on-site. Throughout the process, the recruiter was unprofessional about simple communication. She was very slow to respond to questions and follow-ups. She forgot to deliver a document called "Technology On-Site Prep" until late in the night just before the on-site. I received it 2 hours before heading in, read it on the train, and bombed accordingly. She actually wrote in the email that she wasn't sure if I had gotten the prep doc, which begs the question: when was that supposed to happen? The document stressed a bunch of vague values, so I figured I would ask some questions about how those values played out in the day-to-day experience of the employees. The answers I got ranged from "they don't," to "that's just marketing." Surreal.

Yikes.