Wells Fargo Consumer Loan Underwriter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 11, 2017

2.8

32 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (Portland, OR) in August 2016.

Interview

Phone interview for Initial screening. Then in person interview with two managers. Then offer made. Lots of situational questions that start with "Tell me about a time..." Lot of open ended questions that allow you to expand upon your experience. Depending upon the interviewer they may ask you to elaborate or may just take what you said.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deliver bad news. What was the news and how was it received?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (Lombard, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

There are typically 2 rounds of interviews at Wells Fargo. First, the human resources team and the actual recruiter will screen the resumes submitted for the position and place a phone call to the applicants who look like they meet all of the qualifications and might be a good fit. This will be a short basic interview likely just about your experience, work history, overview of the position applied for, and any salary expectations. Then the recruiter will select the best phone interview applicants and forward to the actual hiring manager in the business unit to review & schedule a face-to-face interview with any applicants they want to pursue. This will be a 30 minute - 1 hour interview with behavioral based questions in which the manager attempts to gauge your past performance and outcomes when handling certain situations. Corporate HR composes all of the questions in a packet ahead of time and the manager can choose between a list of 2-3 questions for each topic, with around 6 topics total. The manager will rate your responses on a scale of 1-5 (5 being the best) in order to get a rough score of your interview when ranked among other candidates in the selection process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you wanted to approve a deal which was over the maximum allowed ratios and what was the reason?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time in which you had to work with others in an adverse or difficult situation, what actions did you take, and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Not a question, but they will ask you to go over general information including your work history/background and what your job responsibilities were, why are are looking for/applying for a new job, what is your experience level with calculating different types of income especially self-employment income.   Answer Question

Negotiation

If they want to make you an offer, the recruiter in human resources assigned to this position (the one you originally spoke with for the phone interview) will contact you. She will give you the offer (annual $ or hourly rate equivalent), the scheduled hours/shift times, and approx. start date. If you want to negotiate you can only negotiate on the pay and the work schedule. Since Wells Fargo is so large you will not be able to negotiate any type of benefits (such as extra vacation days, etc.) as these are the same for all employees. The recruiter will be the middle man between you and the hiring manager (who you did the face-to-face interview with) for all negotiations. If you verbally accept the offer then they will send you a formal written offer letter and conduct a background check.

CONSUMER LOAN UNDERWRITER Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (West Des Moines, IA) in October 2015.

Interview

First step was a call with HR that lasted about 15-20 minutes. After 3-4 days, I was contacted for a face to face interview. 1 week later, I had an hour long face to face interview with the hiring manager on site.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you made a decision without all of the factors available   1 Answer
    • Tell me a time when you managed a high pipeline; what did you do to ensure quality was maintained?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wells Fargo in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was very easy. My manager asked basic question. I also had an interview with the VP of our department. It was a get to know you type of interview.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions. nothing specific to underwriting   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Wells Fargo.

Interview

Internal Process I interviewed for a position within my department for advancement I was selected as an underwriter from a processor but it was a lateral move. Wells Fargo gives you the opportunity to advance in positions but not salary. This is why I think that this company is not great over all

Interview Questions

Negotiation

NONE

Consumer Loan Underwriter II Interview

Interview

Interview Questions

• Very basic, but overly interested in minimal things. For example, college gpa was of huge importance to the interviewer. Seemed a little strange to me, but hey still got the job. I woudl recoemdn it if you have the passion to scuced, but make sure you are ready to work from day one!   Answer Question

Consumer Loan Underwriter III Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Wells Fargo.

Interview

Interviewed with Recruiter via phone, Set several appointments and finally interviewed during vacation. I am personally responsible for not setting myself up properly. This was my first phone interview and I typically am a pretty quick responder -I think I was focusing on vacation and not being hired.

Interview Questions

• What was a time you remember that was difficult and how did you handle and resolve it   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

phone interview, in person interview. waited about 30 days to have an offer sent to me. pretty easy process but I had the experience for the job i was going for.

Consumer Loan Underwriter II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (Charlotte, NC) in May 2014.

Interview

This process is a Wells Fargo process with one or two phone interviews and then a face-to-face. The process I would consider "full circle" with phone screening and formal interviews that follow.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions as well as the ability to act in and make decisions in critical situations   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (Milwaukee, WI) in April 2014.

Interview

First round is a phone interview and the second interview is face-to-face with the hiring manager. It is a behavorial based interview in which they will give you scenarios/questions and want you to describe a situation you previously encountered and what skills you used to resolve.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time in which you had to make an exception to the normal rules/guidelines, what was the action you took, and what was the outcome.   Answer Question