Wells Fargo Phone Banker I Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Wells Fargo Phone Banker I Interview Questions

Updated Jun 12, 2017

2.6

Phone Banker I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wells Fargo in June 2017.

Interview

After you complete your application and assessment, you will receive an email asking you to schedule a group interview. I received this email a few hours after submitting the application and I scheduled the interview for the next day. There will be between 7-10 people in the room with a single recruiter typing down your answers. Keep your answers a minute or less, you will be able to get into more detail in the second interview. First, the recruiter will explain the details of the position and then ask three easy questions. If you are selected to move to the second interview, you will receive a call from the recruiter within two days. For me, it was the same day. At the second interview, be prepared to answer 4-5 situational questions using the STAR method (Situation/Task, Action, Result). All the questions start off with "Tell me about a time...". Make sure to be as detailed as possible and sound confident with your answers. They will tell you to expect to hear back from them within a week if you were hired.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself / Why Wells Fargo?   Answer Question
  • How would you rate your computer skills: beginner, intermediate, advanced? How often do you use your computer? What search engines do you use?   Answer Question
  • Describe, briefly, a difficult situation you had with a customer OR describe, briefly, a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a difficult situation with a coworker and what steps you took to overcome it.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you worked as a team on a task that had a deadline and what steps you took to overcome that.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about the details of a job you had to get right.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you sold a product to a customer and what steps you took.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when there was a policy change at a job and how you accommodated to it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

If you have previous banking experience, you are eligible to negotiate a salary.

Other Interview Reviews for Wells Fargo

Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (Roanoke, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

applied online using employee referral, did the assessments online than received an email few hours later for a group interview, did the group interview 3 others very positive and I felt relaxed more than nervous. I was offered for the one on one interview I go to next week so fingers crossed!!!!

Interview Questions

• Why would you like a job with Wells Fargo?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (Charlotte, NC) in April 2017.

Interview

I filled out an application online and received an email the same day to schedule and in person interview. For the most part the interviews will be in a group setting, which in my case consisted of myself and six others. There was one employee(the recruiter) answering questions and typing our answers, and two other employees who turned out to be dept. managers listening in. Before starting the questions they go over the position, benefits etc. on a big screen where they also display the interview questions. In my case they chose who to start with and we went around the room for the questions(there were 4)...BE SURE TO ANSWER ALL PARTS OF EACH QUESTION. We were told to keep our responses to 1 minute maximum for the sake of time. The group interview lasted a little over an hour and then they let us leave. My group interview was on 4/3 and I received an email the next day to select a day/time for a 1 on 1 interview which was held a little over a week later. They tell you what to bring, how to dress, and give a few tips in an additional email. About two weeks after I was called and offered a position. You definitely have to be patient when interviewing because it is a process, but I had a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you offered a customer a product or service that would benefit them.

Describe a time when you had to navigate between multiple computer screens. Give specific examples. How long did you work in this position.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (Columbia, SC) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online on April 8th and was contacted via email on April 9th to select a date and time for a group interview. I had my interview on April 18th that lasted for 1.5-2 hours. It went well, they asked general questions about your work ethic, experience in customer service, and many examples about how you reacted in situations. They wanted us to be very specific and give detailed scenarios. I was contacted that same evening about a one on one interview with a supervisor. I had that interview the next day, April 19th. It was about an hour long and consisted of various questions asking more specific scenarios that were similar to the group interview. I received a call within a week offering the position to me. Overall it was a pretty decent difficulty and the interviewers were great.

Interview Questions

• Name a situation where you had to deal with an angry customer and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

Applied, then received an email for a group interview. If you passed the group interview they called you back 2-3 days for a one on one interview. However, if you didn't pass the group interview they would send you an email.

Interview Questions

• Introduction and talk about work experience you have had with customer service and/or sales   Answer Question
    • Name a time you have had to offer a product or service depending on the customers needs   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (Charlotte, NC) in March 2017.

Interview

This was my first interview, which was a group interview. In our group, we had 13! They all showed up! The room was very comfortAble and we all sat around a table, taking turns answering the questions.

Interview Questions

• In your most recent job, were you using different applications to perform your job? If so, what and how?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (Glen Allen, VA).

Interview

Group interview with other people who had applied. First interview went around the lroom and ask everyone the same question. Second interview one on one ask questions about what did you do if a customer did this or that.

Interview Questions

• What did you do for a customer that was angry.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (Birmingham, AL) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied for the Phone Banker I position at Wells Fargo in Birmingham Alabama on November 14th, 2016. The hiring/interview process took a total of 9 days.

On Tuesday, November 15th, I received an e-mail stating that I was eligible to schedule my interview (this one was a group interview). They provided a link with interview times. I had three day options, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday with various times. I confirmed my group interview time and date.

My group interview took place on Friday, November 18th. There were ten people in my group interview, and one interviewer. You sit down at a table, write your name on a name card and place it on your desk so the interviewer can see. Your interviewer(s) will then go through a slide show talking about Wells Fargo, what you should expect from the job, pay, opportunities to advance, etc. There were 3 questions she asked the group, and we answered it one by one. My advice when answering the questions, is to be one of the first few people to answer, and speak clearly and confidently. If you're not sure how to answer, don't stress, let a few people answer before you while you collect your thoughts, and then raise your hand to answer. At the end of the interview she asked us if we had any questions for her. I brought a hard copy of my resume as well as two letters of recommendation, which is something I would suggest. I later found out that they usually don't things like resumes/letters of recommendation in the first interview, but my interviewer was impressed that I brought them, and I was the only one that did. I also think I scored points by bringing a notebook and taking notes on the slides she showed us. Just make sure to close your notebook and place it to the side when answering the questions, or it may look like you're reading your answers. I was also the only person to shake her hand and thank her for her time (that I saw, at least).
    The only question I can actually remember from this interview was to tell them about our experience with computers and how much time we spend on the internet per day.

On Tuesday, November 22nd, I was called and asked to come in for the final interview which would be in person with the hiring managers. I was told to dress business professional, which I went out and bought a brand new suit for (It's important to wear clothes that make you feel confident). I was also told to bring a hard copy of my resume. I read a lot of reviews that said that there can sometimes be three interviewers in your final interview, so I made sure to have three copies of my resume as well as three copies of my letters of recommendation, each in their own individual folder to pass out to however many interviewers were there.

My final interview was on November 23rd, and lasted an hour. They ask a lot more questions in this interview, so be prepared to answer questions for an hour. My interview was with two lovely women who made me feel very comfortable. I was asked a lot of questions that started with "Describe a time when...". They will want specific examples, so make sure to think of possible questions and answers before time.
    I was asked the following:
    "Why Wells Fargo?"
    "Tell us about a time you had to overcome a challenge at work"
    "Tell us about a time you had a difficult situation with a co-worker and how you handled it"
    "Why do you want to be a phone banker?"
    "Tell us about a time a protocol changed and how that affected your job"

They will also ask you questions based on your resume. Be prepared to give them full explanations and examples. Always reiterate your experience in customer service.

I was then called an hour later and was offered the job!! It will be finalized once they get my background check in!

Interview Questions

• Experience with computers and programs, and hours spent on the internet per day.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Shoreview, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (Shoreview, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

Group interviews begin the hiring process. Then the groups are broken down and one on one interviews are given based on availability of the supervisors. When applying, you choose either consumer or business service.

Interview Questions

• What type of customer service experience do you have?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (Charlotte, NC) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process for this position moved extremely quick. I applied online through wellsfargo.com/careers on Saturday and by Monday I received an email asking me to select a time for a group interview. The interview was set for that following Monday. My group interview session had 6 people including myself. The recruiter starts of explaining the details of the position, pay rate, hours, WF benefits etc. The recruiter then asks each candidate to give a brief introduction and she asks each person to answer the same three questions (which I will list below). The questions are extremely basic customer service questions, the key is to follow her directions. Each question and what she wants you to explain will be on the board for you so make sure you answer it completely but do not take to long. The interview is subjected to a time limit and each candidate has to answer so keep your answer under 1min or the recruiter will cut you off and get annoyed. A few hours after the interview I was emailed by the recruiter to set up an interview with a hiring manager. This interview was one on one and I was only asked about my work history and work ethic. The following day I was sent an offer of employment. The process took less than 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• 1. Would you consider your computer skills novice, intermediate, or advanced? Why? How often do you use a computer? What do you search on search engines?   Answer Question
    • 2. Name a sales goal you've met at your job that you are proud of. What was the situation? What did you do? How was your progress measured? What was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • 3. Name a time you went above and beyond a customers expectations or a time your dealt with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. The base pay is 13.19 with and extra $2 for shift differential every hour you work past 4pm.