Wells Fargo Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated May 20, 2017

2.8

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Selected to attend Wells Fargo's Wholesale Banking Leadership Forum in early November. On the last day of the forum, had 6 interviews with different the summer programs and divisions of the wholesale bank. Standard 30 minute interviews, mostly behavioral with a few technical questions asked for investment banking, commercial real estate, and corporate finance.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed.
      Tell me about a time you had to persuade people and what the outcome was.
      Tell me about a time you worked as part of a group/team.
      Why are you interested in Finance / Investment Banking / Commercial Banking / CRE.
      Walk me through your resume.
      Explain the 3 Financial Statements and how they link together.
      What methods would you use to value a business.
      Walk me through a DCF.
      Why would a company chose debt over equity.
      How would $100,000 of debt impact the 3 financial statements.
      Answer Question

Was not given the location I would be working (Charlotte, SF, NYC, Los Angeles, Houston, etc) until after an event in January. Also, had another offer with within the bank.

Summer Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Very straight forward, I applied online and recieved an email to have a phone screen. Phone interview was very behavioral based. Then was invited onsite for an inperson interview, two one on one interviews with the team members.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral questions, and one technical question about financial statements ("walk me through cash flow, income, and balance sheet statements")   1 Answer

Personal Banker Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

1. Phone Interview, 10-20 minutes
    2. Group Interview with HR, usually interview with 6-7 other candidates, 30 -50 minutes
    3. Group Interview with Managers, select 2-3 candidates from each group and invite to the 3rd interview, 30-50 minutes
    4. Confirm - Phone

Interview Questions

• Share your successful story of developing customer relationship.   1 Answer
    • How will you handle the job   1 Answer

Risk Management Consultant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The application process is on line. Even with an internal employee referral or stellar history as a team member of Wells Fargo, response time is long or there's no response. There is a program to retain displaced team members but pending termination does not seem to be considered is the selection process. There are open jobs being filled by temps.

Regional Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Hiring manager called me to talk about the position. He had heard from one of my references of how great I'd be in the position. But the hiring manager just seemed to dismiss my experience and reference. After the interview, I looked at my online application and noticed I had been withdrawn and it wasn't by me. Guess Wells Fargo has some strange hiring practices.

Interview Questions

• Do you really have as much experience as your resume suggests?
      How will you learn all the computer systems used in Banking?
      1 Answer

Securities Ops Services Specialist IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (Walnut Creek, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied during the week of October 5th and received a call from the VP of the Tax Ops department on the 14th of October to schedule an telephonic interview with her and her manager on the 15th. I was asked your "typical" situational questions that seemed endless. Whenever I thought the Head Interviewer was done, another question would follow. One would have assumed they were interviewing for a managerial type of position. Overall, both Hiring Managers were friendly and knowledgeable about their department. Fast forward to November 11, I received a call from HR informing me that the manager was interested but first needed to know my salary requirements. Internally, this evoked excitement because finally I thought I might be heading West while leaving my home state of (NJ) behind. My excitement, dampened, after being told not only do I have to provide my salary requirements, but I had to interview also with HR which I thought was backwards and pointless. If I already interviewed with the folks that know what they are seeking in a candidate based on our background, if not then they wouldn't have called us directly, then why those positioned in these HR roles insist on interviewing after the candidate interviewed with the people that is responsible for making the final decision? Isn't that backwards? As our conversation progressed, I became flustered by the minute. With other positions I held in the past, usually the candidate will receive a rejection email or a call from HR extending an offer after the interview process concluded. This is why I became confused. The HR lady did not want to verbally utter, "yes this is an extended offer" instead she kept saying this is the next step in the process calling candidates to determine their salary requirements. Granted, if it's not an "offer" you're calling me about, why call me? Anyway, after reciting my background and alerting her why I should assume the role, and communicating my salary requirements, the HR woman tried to downplay the range. Please note, they do not want to offer minorities a salary they are worth, and prefer to abridge the entire process. When HR told me how much the position is worth (by the way, was very low) I challenged her by informing her that the Head Interviewer discussed salary in our "interview" and told me the highest they were willing to give the candidate. With this information I presented to HR, she then redacted and all of a sudden agreed. It is funny that they'll try to give you the lowest salary all the while knowing the position is worth a lot more. Before I conversation concluded, I informed her again of my salary range and she as in the HR lady informed me (which was a lie) that she will relay my range to the Hiring Managers and I should expect a call from her the next day on November 12th. Yeah right, the 12th came and went, until today December 3, I emailed her and it was then that she alerted me that the Hiring Managers have decided to move forward with an internal candidate. Okay, that is fine, but when was I going to know? After their background cleared or they got acclimated? Bogus people. The process almost took 2 months just for them to tell me they are pursuing an internal candidate. Beware of this scandalous company and shady HR. Do they really think people should work for pennies knowing they are worth a dollar and more?

Analytics Director Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Highly unprofessional interview process and not competency based at. The Recruiters were out of the mid west didn't know what they were doing. The hiring manager had no background in the field. No focus what-so ever on the job skills just on culture and appearances. STAY AWAY Analytics Professionals they don't have a data strategy and are working on things that are very dated. The analytics leaders all seem to be at each others throats and fearful of their jobs and were threatened by each other. The interviewers all tried to prove that they know something but were very underwhelming and had no marketable skills probably because they had been there for most of their careers with no varied knowledge of new techniques. Allot of talk but no proof of competencies.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about your self? No discussion of the analytics best practices. Interviewers were not qualified. While we all know it is a good bank, its reputation for analytics and data driven marketing is not good. Stay away from this bank if you are coming from a tech company or other more data science driven companies. They don't get it and their Recruiters are not good at steering the process toward the right decisions. This is a great place for Sales people and reporting execs but not data scientists and technical professionals.   Answer Question

Teller Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied for the teller position. I received a screening phone call a few days later and an email invitation to an in-person interview.
    During the interview, the interviewer, asked if I'd be interested in a CSSR position and scheduled another appointment.
    At that interview, the interviewer asked if I'd be interested in a PB1 position and scheduled the third interview. The last interview was a series of interviews with two branch managers and the district manager.

Treasury Management Sales Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very open and conversational. Interviewer (Manager) was great. I felt at ease and didn't feel interrogated. It was more of a conversation than an interview. Originally asked for an informational interview prior to applying for the position. Can tell right off the bat management was very supportive and great at their jobs.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Treasury Management?
      What interests you?
      What do you do when you are not at work?
      Answer Question

Commercial Real Estate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Wells Fargo (Berkeley, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

It was a 30 minute interview, and it was clear that the interview in its entirety centralized the completion of a standardized Wells Fargo interview worksheet. The guy was relaxed. Basically just filled out the worksheet and then asked if I had any questions. Overall, it was a fairly easy interview, as long as you review basic financial statement and leverage basics.