West Marine Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

West Marine Sales Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at West Marine

1.8

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at West Marine (San Diego, CA) in June 2009.

Interview

boater, retail exp.

Interview Questions

• how to deal with upset customers   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for West Marine

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at West Marine in January 2012.

Interview

Online application process is very easy and quite thorough. Ability to upload resume or curriculum vitae is very easy. You should expect quite some time for a callback if they choose to interview. Also, there are a series of questions which you answer about work situations and the way you would handle them.

Interview Questions

• Many questions are directed toward how you would react if coworkers were gossiping or participating in inappropriate or unprofessional matters. Basically, they are asking if you would ignore it or tell your manager.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Delafield, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at West Marine (Delafield, WI) in January 2010.

Interview

Had an informal sit-down with the store manager, just talked about experience with boating and talked about myself a little bit. The store was being set up so my manager was in grungy work clothes and I felt overdressed, but I got the job so no matter.

If you have a good attitude and the store manager is good, should be no problem. You do have to take a personality test however, and there is no leeway if you "fail" the personality test. I think you can fail by mentioning you've taken drugs or have stolen in your past, but I'm not sure. All I know is one candidate failed after being truthful about a key issue, and my manager felt bad because he was an okay guy but she wasn't allowed to hire based on the outcome.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever taken something from a friend without their permission?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at West Marine (Houston, TX) in February 2010.

Interview

you have to take a test online to see if you have personable traits that will be used for customer interaction

Interview Questions

• have you ever stolen from your workplace   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was told to go watch videos for 6 hours over two days.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at West Marine.

Interview

Submitted Application, then contacted Manager, After their review, set-up an interview, waited about 2 weeks then found out I got the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None....low level retail

Anonymous Employee in West Islip, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at West Marine (West Islip, NY) in April 2011.

Interview

Fill out an application online, part of the application is a personality matrix. If you score high enough on the personality matrix they may bring you in for an interview. I went in for two interviews. The first was mostly going over the application that I filled out online. The second was more practical. I was hired on the spot at the second interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell a pencil to somebody who has never seen one before?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at West Marine (Virginia Beach, VA) in April 2014.

Interview

The interview process was fairly straight forward. The interviewing manager asked very generic questions, along with very standard questions. The manager was very professional. He also inquired about my long term goals, and if they included the company. The interview process was fairly straight forward and the hiring process was very fast-paced.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at West Marine (Washington, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

Very simple. Asked easy questions, discussed past jobs and experiences. Asked about boating experience and knowledge. Put application in beginning of year, didn't get called in for an interview until 2 months later. Phone scripts are a plus/previous sales experience.

Interview Questions

• Q: What do you consider to be the most important aspect of a retail store?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at West Marine (Portsmouth, NH).

Interview

High praise to the manager, he was honest and spoke frankly. Had a one-on -one conversation in the office. Would have lead to a second interview had I agreed. Was told that all but 3 positions are PT and essentially seasonal. They were looking for 20+ hours at $9/hr. If anyone from West Marine reads this review I suggest the job ads be changed to include this information. Had I known any of those numbers I wouldn't have applied. Both mine and the managers time was wasted.

Interview Questions

• Customer is looking for specific item and has questions about it. You don't have knowledge of it and the other associates are busy, How do you make the sale?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Port Washington, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at West Marine (Port Washington, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

10 minutes with the manager about sales. Asked about previous experience but I was in high school at the time. He was very nice and was my manager the rest of the time at that store.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked in sales before.   1 Answer